Lying At The Bottom Not Moving.

Kissy

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will do. They already have lots of aeration tho. Is it possible to have to much in this scenario? I have 75% of a 30 gallon top fin air pump from a 12" bubble bar for small bubles, plus a little from the filter since its the hang over the back type. In a ten gallon with two small goldfish of course.

I think they are growing!! I'm not completely sure, but they seem a tad bigger, especially Odie. He seems like he's mixed with a comet, so I have no idea how big he will get! Do you think they will get stunted from both of them being in a ten gallon for so long? I'm guessing they'll be here for maybe 2-3 months. Its already been like 5 weeks since I got them..it doesn't seem that long! Then they will go to the 29 gallon if they pass QT.

You can never have too much aeration. ;) Unless it is pushing them around the tank, of course. :) Don't worry about the growth rate. A few months in the 10gal is okay. They will enjoy the 29gal, for sure. :)

Here's a look at how the cycling's coming along:

3 days ago (before water change):

ammonia- A very high number

nitrite- .1

2 days ago (after water change):

ammonia- .75

nitrite- 0

nitrate- 6

today (after water change):

ammonia- .3

nitrite- .23

nitrate- 6

Yay for cycling! Do you think that biozyme product is working, or is this quick of progress normal? Should I keep the params as close to zero as possible, or should I keep the ammonia around .25ish to keep enough for cycling?

30% water change every day is perfect. I get up all the poopy :) I'm running out of aquarium salt and testing drops tho.

Edited by Kissy

It is always faster for a filter to recover than to start from scratch. There would still be good bacteria in the filter but there won't be enough to handle the same level of waste, that's all. The biosyme might helped a little but anything that is an enzyme is not a true bacteria.

Make sure ammonia drops to zero! It just means that the filter is converting ALL the ammonia into less harmful chemicals. Ammonia is being generated all the time so if ammonia is above zero then it is doing harm to the fish.

Think of the biofilter like a factory making widgets. It will happily make X amount of widgets all day, everyday. But if you want to increase production by 20% then there is a lag as more workers are hired and more machinary are installed but it can be done. However, if a fire burns down 2/3 of the factory then there is no way that the remaining part can still produce X widgets a day. Same deal, you need time to rebuild the factory. That is what happens when you add more fish or overfeed, you get a ammonia spike or when your filter gets nuked by meds and it needs to recover. :)

Widgets are the whatdoyoucallit's that come free with breakfast cereal packs that you never wanted but collected nevertheless. They are usually made of cheap plastic and breed in dark cupboards or toy boxes. :D

• Supporter
"Think of the biofilter like a factory making widgets."

captk, great analogy, I think I am really starting to "get" this whole cycling thing now! Thanks!

Edited by jen626

:rofl

Evil Sib, I should hope the hubby's sugar pops don't start growing widgets. He's a bit old for those kind of things! <insertion of evil canned laughter here>

Kissy I havn't spent as much time lately as I should have been, its been hectic around the house though. Murphy's law! <_<

Most of the thanks goes to my evil sib.... :D

Now, where can I buy a rope to hang murphy and his law? Lynching time!

:rofl

No wories tamianth. Nothing too exciting or emergency-like is going on right now..just feeding med foods, cycling, and keeping salt at .3% They seem to be doing well, but I'm running out of AQ salt fast!!!

One question tho. If two fish are subjected to the same water params with high ammonia, why is it that only one will burn a little while the other has no burn marks at all? Is Mica just more suseptible than Odie?

Edited by Kissy

Two things, beware of salt creep. If ever in doubt about how much salt has been taken out and added back in, get a salt level test kit. Salt creep can be a real problem too as you are already on 0.3%.

Absolutely! No two fish are alike. Just like us, two people sitting side by side in the sun won't tan at the same rate, they are not likely to catch the same cold. :) Some fish are more sensitive to ammonia and the likes.

We'll have to give Henry his widget patent then and give it the fishy seal of approval...

<insert evil canned laugher here>

I do think that some fish are more sensitive then others to things, so I'm in agreement there. ;)

I'll keep checking in though Kissy! :D

They are lying at the bottom a ton now and very listless with lots of twitching. The fantail's butt fins (not the tail fin, but the pair under that) and reddened at the base. This started thismorning. Water params are good and I am nearly cycled again. I started treating with quickcure with a towel over the tank to protect the meds from light. The water is at .3% Do you think the combination of salinity and quick cure is bad? They seem much worse since I started the new meds. Please respond soon, they are not doing well.

Kissy,

I don't think salt and the formalin in quick cure mix well. I would do a couple of big water changes to get the salt out and start over with the quick cure. Hopefully it will get the persistant parasites that seem to be tormenting your new fish. But get that salt out!

Alright, I'm back. I syphoned about four gallons the first time, added three back. Second change I syphoned out four more gallons out of the total, and added three more back. After that, I needed to add back about 2.5 more gallons to make it back up to surface level. I really have no idea what percentage that is...but I think it will suffice. I think its best to let them adjust to the clean water and try to relax overnight, then dose the quick cure again tomorrow afternoon? What do you think? When I was syphoning I saw a lot of uneaten food :( When I start up on quick cure again, should just pretend its the first day or treatment and start there, or should I count back a day?

Edited by Kissy

That's about 67%. So if you were at 0.3%, you are now at 0.1% I think you are right to leave them alone for tonight. It's good you got the food out, now you are starting with pristine water.

The quick cure can be hard on fish. Have you considered starting at half dosage? Whatever you do, watch them carefully when you add the medicine and be ready with clean water in case they don't do well.

edit: I would start over with the quick cure.

Edited by becky

I think I might start at 1/2 dosage, at least for the first day. I didn't know it was such a harsh drug. I saw on the bottle that it recomends using the 1/2 dosage for tetras, I guess I should have taken the clue. Should I worry about the .1% salinity? Should I do another waterchange before I start again with the meds?

Thanks for the quick responses and the math :)

:uwelcome

Here is a thread where Toothless discusses using Quickcure for persistant parasites.

parasites and quickcure

I am confused about the salt now. I have been researching tonight and I have seen Quickcure listed as formalin/mg and also formaldahyde/mg. My understanding was that the formalin was what was not agreeable with the salt. I also saw some posts where people used salt with QC. So maybe it is not harmful, just makes it less effective?

One more water change could not hurt (when in doubt, err on the side of caution). Maybe someone more knowledgeable will be on before you start in the morning. Definitely start with the half dose and watch them carefully.