Lying At The Bottom Not Moving.

Kissy

What type of medicated food is it again Kissy?

I am not sure on this. Antibotic food should be given daily for no less than 7 days.

If it is a parasite food, I have not used that so I will refrain on answering that.

Hope someone can help you out on that one.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am sorry, Kissy - I got confused there for a minute! I didn't know that Parasite Clear is one among a whole group of "tank buddies" meds, I thought it was something completely different. Parasite Clear, of course! .... duh....

Kissy, didn't they have the antibiotic food from Jungle as well? I thought that is what you were gonna get.

Ohh...they had the antibiotic too, but I was planning to buy and bought the anti-parasitic. Their symptoms seem to point in that direction...should I have bought the antibiotic instead? I hope not..I probably can't go to a fish store for a while, I already went three times this week.

Kissy, the parasite food only helps with "internal" parasites, not external. It is good to treat both but I think you wanted the external medication correct?

I would see if you can get the antibotic food when you can.

Hi, Kissy! You are in great hands and you are doing such a good job... I have nothing to add except to tell you that Graham, Jean, and I are sending lots of white light your way - hoping for the very best for Odie and Myca. :hug

Lol I'm sorry for confusion!! Jungle sells 2 new medicated foods; anti-bacterial and anti-parastic. No anti-biotic...or is anti-biotic and anti-bacterial the same thing? I'm not really sure what anti-biotic means.

The salt is at .3%, and I've added the second dose of parasite clear, with a waterchange inbetween. Whatever is making it hard for them to chew is making it worse...they would barely eat anything this afternoon, and mostly just sucked up and spit out their food. I haven't seen any improvement, but I guess we will see what tomorrow brings.

Yes, and they can be fed together, nothing else. I don't understand why jungle would say feed 3 day's, off 4 either, we generally go by a 10-14 day round. Hm, strange. Are the pellets hard then Kissy? Most of the food I've seen is a soft food, krill based.

Oh, no edit button? Wow! <_< The case of the mysteriouse disapearing edit button.... :unsure:

Antibiotics are things like penicillan, Ampicillan, tetracycline, etc, so they would be antibacterial in nature.... I'm not sure just what is actually used in the foods. I've not checked to make sure.....

You also need to watch when useing such, they can get the filter a hiccup.

I'm sorry Kissy :( . Having sick fish is very stressful. But, they can turn the corner and start acting normal in an instant.

You are taking wonderful care of them. Keep it up and give them time to recover.

Thanks Becky.

There's HOPE!!! Okay, I know I shouldn't have done this, but I dropped a tiny pellet of omega one into the tank this morning, and Mica ZOOMED after it and gobbled it up. What brats! Sheesh little kids..never want to eat their medicine. I think that since they are not feeling well, their appetites are getting meeker and meeker. This Jungle med food smells just horrible. I don't mean like fish food gross, its like GROSS gross. I guess I can't blame them...but what can I do to get them to take their meds?? I heard that goldfish love the flavor of garlic, so I crunched a few pellets and mixed it in a bag with a tiny bit of garlic powder. Mica wouldn't touch it, but Odie ate a couple crumbs. Can anyone help me out with making the meds yummier and more appealing? I was thinking maybe making it into a gel food, and adding some garlic and maybe some fish oil or something. Would that work? I've never made gel food before...and I don't have gelatin or fish oil either. My parents are going to think I'm nuts, but its worth a try!

I'm thinking maybe they have gill parasites since they are gasping at the surface so much, so I switched the air stone to a bubble wand. I'm keeping it on low until they get used to it...if I turn it up will it help them or stress them out?

Is there anything more I can do to make them more comfortable? I never give up til its over..I never believe in anesthesia before but when Orchard came back from the dead (he was lying at the bottom hardly breathing all day, a while after jumping out for 10 minutes) most people would have given up. He's alive and kickin'. :D

Force feed is really a tough thing to do, and if gone too far, quite a lot of damage can be done to a fish. That really should be the last resort.

You can easily mix the medicated food in a gel food mix, no problem. Garlic in it is also good, or you can try soaking the med pellets in clam sauce. I heard that tip from Ingrid, the owner of the Puregold website.

Its like adding barbeque sauce to a steak... :rolleyes:

Keep trying, and don't give up just yet.... :hug

I had to go right after I posted so I didn't see your response, but I thought of something similar on the way to the store. Will tuna sauce work too? Its way too late at night to attempt gel food...so much HW to do and I'm so tired..I bought gelatin, but I also bought a can of tuna "in water". I soaked some pellets in it, but they didn't eat it. They seemed more interested and in the begining, they would chew for a while, but then they kinda gave up. They still suck it up and spit it out. Odies still trying to chew and swallow, poor thing. I'll try again tomorrow I guess.

Happy Update!

Odie and Mica seem to be doing a little better today, oddly enough. I'd like to think its because I added a second dose of parasite clear and brought the salt up to .3% yesterday, but they are still yawning and gulping air tons, and can't chew and swallow. Its more likely that they are responding to the more oxygen..Last night I swapped their air stone for a bubble bar so they could have tinier bubbles. Nevertheless, they are more active and seem happier. I used to beat myself up over deaths and illness and get depressed etc, but this time Its easier. Maybe its because I have two and haven't been able to completely bond with both, or I'm not letting myself bond because I'm kind of expecting failure. I think its more of an acceptance thing tho...I'm begining to think more for the fish instead of my feelings and being so dissapointed I won't have that pet for years to come. I'm at least giving them a few more extra days than they would have had at the store...days that have less nitrates and more oxygen I dunno, I guess I'm slightly more at peace.

Kissy use a fresh garlic clove and crush it for the juice. Water pack tuna water isn't going to do it, a oil base would though I think. Hard to find the oil base anymore! :(

Hm, so the food smells awful huh? Weird! Does it say what the food is based in? I havn't used any of the other brands, I bought Aqua-med & medi-koi and they are both krill based, soft, think the aqua-med is softer though. They tend to disolve quick though... but the fish gobble it up and it didn't smell bad though! wow, don't know what to think about a food being smelly bad..... <_<

Nah, it doesn't say what's in the ingrediants, but its designed in general for all fish. Its very hard, and expands like 5X its size when fully soaked. I think I'm going to try to make some gel food tonight...I'll see if we have any fresh garlic cloves.

They're still pretty active today :)

I saw some poopy today!!

Mica had some light colored poop!!! It was still pretty long (about .5") and didn't look completely solid, but it must mean she's getting SOME food in her system. Only...it got sucked back up? x_X Is it supposed to do that? It sucked back into her, and then came back out about 5 minutes later. Weird?? I *think* I saw a bit from Odie too, but he was too quick for me lol. I've been trying the crushed pellets today. They are still chewing and spitting out, but after a couple hours I don't see anymore. Hopefully that means some of it has been eaten, and not all has been swept into the pebbles. How high should I let the nitrates get before I do a water change? I don't want to stress them out more than I need to. I think I'm starting to notice the outer edge of their gills look are looking slightly tattered. Maybe they have a gill parasite.

I'm surprised these guys are still alive...they're still pretty active, with lots of yawning, gasping, twitching, etc.

Guest Chishower

Sounds like it could be flukes to me, have you tried treating for them yet?

Glad to hear we are having SOME progress from them. :heart They are tough little guys.

Archived