Sign in to follow this  
Kissy

Lying At The Bottom Not Moving.

OOps, sorry, I posted about the fishies in another post. I hope the fishies get through everything! fingers and toes crossed!! :D

Wow Kissy! That's a ton of posting! I sure hope they hang in there for you. Good luck and I'll be checking on the post to see how they are.

How are the little ones today?

I think they're a little more active today. Im still at school, but they they are swimming around a bit more. Poor little babies. Today is day two in the new tank...how long should I wait til I start bringing the salt up to .2% and dose prazi? I *might* be able to go to the LFS and buy some medicated food tonight. I'm not telling my parents they are sick...All but one of my past fish only lasted about 2 weeks after I brought them home and they all just make fun of me for it. My excuse is I need new syphons (which I DO!!!!) so I'll be able to nag some of that anti-parasitc food from Jungle Labs. I'm so happy they make that now!!! Should I start feeding meds as soon as I get them or should I wait? Can I give them prazi AND the med foods? I *believe* the meds have that metro-whatever, prazi, and one other parasite med that I can't remember. Also...do you think its safe to take pics? I don't want to stress them out more with billions of camera flashes, but I want to share!!

:heart

I just got home and they are not doing very well.. They are sitting at the bottom or inside their forest and not swimming around. More parasite poop, and I saw one vigorously shaking his head :( When should I add the prazi??? They're starting to go downhill....

Edited by Kissy

I already cut out the carbon from the filter cartridge, so I'm ready for prazi when I get the okay. I'm really worried about them. I don't want them to die :( I'm sorry about all the posts, I tend to do that when my babies are sick so please forgive me. I can go to the LFS in about an hour to buy the meds. Please some one tell me if I should add prazi or not.

Wow, Kissy, that is quite a thing thats going on here! The way I read it, there isn't any salt in the water yet, right?

If not, add it now. It really helps them along in a few ways - reducing stress, and taking care of a huge junk of parasites. Also, you mentioned you had Jungle Parasite Clear - that goes in there as well. Once capsule per 10 gl. There is no need to dose it with Prazi and Parasite Clear at the same time - Parasite Clear already has prazi in it, together with some other goodies for other troubles as well. Its gentle, doesn't affect your just cycled filter and goes well with salt.

Keep posting as you go along... :)

The only thing I can add to Andrea is, I would start the medicated food right away if you can.

Hang on and no need to apologize, we are all "crazy" when our fish are sick. We know how you feel sweetie, hang in there.

Hey everyone. I've assigned genders and names. Telescope is now a boy, and his name is Odie. Ribbontail is now a girl, and her name is Mica (my-ka).

I bought the med food today (last one at the store). I soaked and fed. Mica ate around 3-4ish pellets, but Odie had some trouble. He has bad vision, so he had a hard time finding them. They both had a ton of trouble chewing, ESPECIALLY Odie. The pellets Odie did get a hold of he chewed on for ten minutes...I'm not sure if he spit them out or swallowed them, but his chewing seemed to be not helping at all. The pellets are Very soggy and falling apart, but he still can't chew. I'm really afraid...my last goldfish had parasites too, and toward the end he had the same chewing problem. Only a few days later he died. The tank is salted at .1% right now, the man at the LFS said that the tanks were salted at about that. I'm going to go raise the water to .2% and drop in some parasite clear. Its got prazi and the metro in it, and if Odie can't eat the med foods, I still want to give him the best chance. :heart

Edit: Ooops...it was very late last night and I think I didn't add enough salt to make it .1% I'm going to get it up to there first. I wish I had thought of that before!!! Salt is dissolving in a bucket right now, and I just added a tank buddy. The box says that I can add another tomorrow if I like, with a 25% water change (fixed my syphon by the way :D ) Should I do this?

Edited by Kissy

Tank buddy doesn't do much - the Parasite Clear is the one that should go in there asap. Is that in yet? :)

Guest Chishower

I am sending get well soon vibes to your new babies! Your luck has to turn eventually, right? Maybe fixing the syphon was the beginning of your good luck!

Keep us updated on how the little guys are doing!

Ranchugirl, what do you mean? The medicine I had was called Parasite Clear by Jungle Labs. I think it is part of their "tank buddies" line...The tablets that you drop in the water and the fizz and dissolve? I fed them this morning and Mica ate a few pellets...I'm not sure if Odie had any. He either had 0 or 1..he was still chewing after 10 minutes and then I had to leave for school. Oh I misunderstood the instructions about re-dosing..I have to wait 48 hours, not 24 lol. So...should I do a waterchange and re dose with the Parasite Clear tomorrow? I'm still at school, so I'll update in a couple hours when I get home. God I'm so stressed out, my fishies aren't helping :\ I've even lost a little weight, and I've got David worried. I should be better after i have my weekend tho :) I was looking thru the diagnosis section, and I found a disease I think might be it...I can't remember what it was called and I'm crunched for time right now. I think it was chilodinella or something..I just remember letters, so hopefully someone can decipher a parasite with those letters :P Gotta go!!

Wow I was only one letter off, and I totally guessed too! Anyways, here is a link to a page about chilodonella that Ranchugirl made:http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=12847 My fish are exibiting a lot of these symptoms. I do not have access to a microscope. Here's a list of symptoms of my fish, the * means that its an occasional symptom:

MICA: bottom-sitting/corner facing/listlessness, difficulty chewing and/or swallowing, clamped dorsal fin, slightly torn fins, yawning, gasping at the surface*, and chasing back and forth along the glass* (not for food obviously because its always a side wall), and dorsal twitching.

ODIE: corner-facing/listlessness, MUCH difficulty chewing and/or swallowing, yawning*, gasping at the surface*, and chasing back and forth along the glass* (not for food obviously because its always a side wall), and head-shaking*

Something's wrong...I added more salt water to the tank to bring it up to .2% today, but I had to syphon some water first because The salt was dissolved in a gallon of water. So I did that, but I wasn't used to the power of the new syphon and accidentally syphoned almost two gallons. I added the salted gallon, and added a fresh gallon too. Both were dechlorinated. I added about 1/10 of a parasite clear tablet to compensate for the stuff I took out. Exactly after that, Odie started acting horrible..sitting at the bottom, hanging at the top, gulping air from the surface, and is very listless. Mica is acting alright except she's gulping a little more air too. What's happening? Should I do a waterchange and add fresh water?? HELP!!!!

I forgot to mention a couple things..

Odie has some new black markings (at least I think). They are on the outside of his gill under his chin, kind of where you'd say a throat would be. I am pretty sure those markings were not there before. Also, he has a little red dot in his eye. My first moor had this too...I never found out what it was. Later I just assumed it was water quality because I didn't know about testing your water or the nitrogen cycle etc. There isn't anything he can hurt himself on, and ammonia and nitrite are both at zero....

Alright. They are at about .2% right now..I'll slow it down to .5% every 12 hours or so. I'm not exactly sure what caused them to suddenly get worse, but I hope they get better soon....Odie is a little more active now, but still kind of listless and lots of gulping air from the surface. G'night everyone

Edited by Kissy

Good morning Kissy!!

Could the shock of a different temp. in the water have caused the fish to act that way when you changed the water?

Did you match the temps?

It could also be just the stress of the whole thing. These poor little ones have had a hard time lately, remember they are stressed already and anything can throw them overboard.

Hang in there you are doing great!!

Goodmorning Laurie :)

Unfortunately, they are doing worse today, especially Odie. He spends most of the time resting on the bottom with his fins clamped, hardly moving. Mica is doing a tad worse, but is better than Odie. She spends a lot of the time on the bottom as well, but is slightly more active and I'm just getting a slightly healthier vibe from her (lol..does that make sense???) Both are still eating/attempting to eat. Yesterday, the temps were both matched when I did the water change. I need to do another today, but I'm so scared!!

Here's what I need to do by the end of the day for them:

*Bring salt to .3%

*second dose of parasite clear

*Feed as much meds as they will eat

I want to break the salt dosing down into two parts. Maybe .5% early afternoon, and the second .5% tonight? I'm going to do the water change (2 gallons) this afternoon and add half the salt in. Tonight I'll add the rest of the salt and drop in a tablet of parasite clear. How does that sound?

That sounds ok to me. How is the ph going?

I'm not quite sure what you mean?? They were aclimated to my pH (8) before going into the 10 gallon QT tank.

Right but weren't you having problems with the ph?

That is all I was asking, if you have that under control and there hasn't been any changes in it. ;)

Oh, no pH is rock solid :D So...I've got a fully cycled tank and a pH buffered by 300+ kH..I think those might be the only things going for them. I'm so glad I cycled fishlessly tho, I'll never do it any other way.

I am thinking the reason why Mica is doing a little better than Odie is because she's been eating more of the food. On the bottle, it says to feed consecutively for three days out of the week, 1-2 times daily (I'm feeding more often than that tho, I don't think any harm will come of it) as much as they will eat. I think you are supposed to do this feeding for 4 weeks or so, but they say to not feed anything for the other four days of the week. What purpose does this serve? Should I do that or keep feeding? Its not making sense to stop feeding the medicated food.