Fin Rot?

balashark

i've got a question. some of you may know the situation w/ jen's betta where it had to go through cycling; i took the filter out about a month ago and put it in my tropical aquarium. durring that time her bettas tail started shredding a little. at first i though it was just the affects of cycling; but now i'm begining to wonder. i put the filter back into the bettas aquarium saturday, and i haven't seen any improvement; no worse but no better. i want to give it another couple days before treating with anything; but while i'm thinking of it...

i'm gonna try adding a little salt tomorrow w/ a water change. i've got two anti-fungus medicines; fungus clear (active ingredients nitrofurazone and potassium dicrhomate) and aquarium pharmaceuticals anti-fungus (active ingredients malachine green and aciflavine hydrochloride). i looked but couldn't find anything specifically for bettas. any idea if these would help and in what doses; or if there's something else i should try.

just some info, it's only his tail that is tattered, his dorsal and anal fins are fine and full. also, he's not as active as he was when we first got him; but he's still fairly active and looks otherwise healthy w/ a voracious appetite for shrimp and bloodworms.

any help is greatly appreciated.

[edit] typo

Guest Chishower

I'm wondering if it might be tail biting and not rot. He might have not liked not having a filter, and starting tail biting...

I would wait a few more days. If it isnt getting worse, there is no need to medicate. Bettas are very sensitive to meds.

thanks for the replys. i went to do a water change and noticed that there was a little bit of new growth on his tail. so i'm not gonna medicate now ( i was hoping i wouldn't have to ). i did add just the tiniest bit of aq. salt well dissolved with a little stress coat too, so hopefully that'll help him along.

i've watched him before for tail biting, but i've never seen him do it. infact all he does is happily swim around until he notices i'm watching, then he'll flare at the glass a couple times... :)

thanks again.

Archived