Sign in to follow this  
2befree

My Goldies Might Be Spawning!

Hi all :)

I just watched the video on spawning. BTW those orandas are beautiful and Devs the babies you got from them look absolutely wonderful!

I woke up to my goldies three of them Pudgy the lionhead, Peaches the orange oranda and Snowflake the white oranda (whom I thought were girls) chasing Spot(who I thought was a boy!) all over the tank, in her but, swimming side by side squooshing her in the middle and so on. They would try to do the same thing to Red my redcap oranda and she would always out run them and Oreo ( she's in my avatar) my calico fantail but Oreo would push them away and they leave her alone. It is funny to watch but has been going on for 2 hours now :o

I decided to turn on the lights and Pudge and Peaches has the breeding stars on there I think pectoral fins and snowflake I can't tell well... because he is all white and still small (only 2 and a half inches) lol.

My question is what do I do if the spawn. Where would I put the babies.

Only thing I could think of is to send trops. in ten gal. back to fish store and put them in there. I have an extra ten but it isn't mine and my friend wants it back. This is so exciting. What to do!

Oop! I forgot to ad one thing. I fed them freeze-dried krill last night and the temps. dropped four or five degrees over night. Don't know if this had anything to do with it.

OK, going to take shower now will check back to see if anyone posted.

I'm so excited and I just can't hide it..... :nana:bounce:rockon

O.K. so I decided to feed pro-gold this morning to give Spot a break. Well it didn't work. Pudge and Peaches ate a couple of pellets and went right back to chasing Spot. Hmmm.. may have to think of new names for Spot and Peaches. Pudge is a boy or girls name so his name can stay as is. Any suggestion?

FYI: Peaches is a boy and Spot is a girl.

O.K. so I read how to breed goldfish on top of the page and decided to leave well enough alone because I'm not prepared at all to take care of fry. Maybe in the future as I slowly buy the extra things that I would need.

Well, well, well, spawning going on, hm?.... :lol: Yeah, dropping in food to distract them hardly ever works. Its like trying to have a kid do homework in a middle of a big birthday party - it isn't gonna happen! :rofl

And yes, a drop in temperature like the one you discribed very well can trigger spawning, so does a full moon, a low pressure system or a larger water change. One other thing is adding a new tank mate - somehow the presence of a new fish can do that as well.

Did the calm down somewhat? You might wonna keep a close eye on your female - if the boys get too tough and tire her out, she can get stressed, or even hurt if the boys chase her into something like an ornament or a sharp rock... :)

Hi Andrea,

Yes the spawning has seemed to slow down. Spot my calico fantail (whom I will rename now I know he's a she :lol: ) is doing fine. I purposely stopped feeding high protein foods in hopes it will. But it is exciting to know that I have 3 girls and 3 boys in the tank. No more guessing. :)

Did anything come of it - like eggs?

No, not any eggs yet. I read in one of your posts that you have to be up at the crack of dawn to see if any eggs are there if not the goldies would eat them.

Either they ate them or there were no eggs. Will give it to the end of the week. If there are no eggs I will leave well enough alone.

Thanks for asking. :D

Guest Darth Pansy

Not always. They often start mating in early morning, but don't tend to eat the eggs whilst mating (maybe a half time snack I suppose). This can go on for 3 or 4 hours, so you want to try and get the eggs before they finish and start feeding on them. When mine breed recently, I only noticed at 1.30 in the afternoon, but still managed to salvage probably over 1000 eggs. Tanks might not be so dependent on sunrise etc., also season is irrelevant if indoors.

Thanks for the info. Darth. Haven't seen any eggs though, but will keep a look out.

BTW: :welcome