Shrimp And Bettas

Kissy

I think I've asked these questions a long time ago, but I can't remember what was said and I can't find the post. Sorry guys :\

Anyways, are shrimp compatible with bettas? I've heard a lot of different things, like the bettas eating the shrimp etc. But...don't ghost shrimp get to be 1"? How can bettas eat them if they are that big? Or do they just nip until the shrimp die? I know they like lots of hiding places and my tank will be full of them. I already have a three gallon tank with a cave full of little nooks and crannies, and I'll get some more plants and stuff for them to hide in. Is it more of a betta personality thing when it comes to compatibility?

My betta is kind of a special needs fish. He either has some sort of chronic fin rot or is very suseptible to fin rot. What will happen if the shrimp are exposed to fin rot?

One more question for now...How do you quarentine them? I don't think most people do, but I will ALWAYS qt EVERYTHING. I don't think they actually "get" many fish diseases, but I think they carry them? If the parasites/bacteria etc don't have fish to prey upon will they just die off during qt? Should I use any preventative meds? What are things I should look for?

The tank is 3 gallons and it will have a sponge filter and a heater. Thanks everyone :)

id say its more of a personality thing wth the bettas..

QTing them.. erm i posted a while ago asking the same question.. but yea id say they carry diseases, i think they are ok with salt, not sure, i didnt get an answer for that. but i thinking finding out if they ok with salt and then salting them for a bit to get rid of lurking parasites is the most you can do, coz they dont tolerate fish meds or anything, cuz of the copper in it.

Guest Chishower

Ok, I could be wrong but I think that there is only one parasite that a shrimp can carry, and it is highly visible. So if they are clean, I don't think you need to QT. Let me go hunt down those pictures for you.

Guest Chishower

mmmk, here. I found these pictures on the plantgeek forum, and I believe they were taken from myaquaria.com

Worm in shrimp

ghost_shrimp_passenger.sized.jpg

Worm out of shrimp

nematode.jpg

I do not know if this worm will infect fish, yet.

:o I've never seen anything like that!!!

Also...I forgot to mention that my bettas tank has 1/2 teaspoon of salt per gallon. I'm gonna go find out how they do with salt. They jump, right? I was originally going to keep them in my 10 gallon tropical tank, but it doesn't have a hood right now. That tank would have been a better choice, but I don't want my shrimpies to escape. Research time! I'll post any info here, so Lucy I'll try and find some answers to your questions too :)

Okay..I found absolutely nothing on quarentining shrimp. I found some info on salt...but its conflicting. One site said there are two types of ghost shrimp, and one is freshwater while the other is brackish. Most other sites that brought up salinity recomended adding a pinch of salt. Something else I found...It is believed that when ghost shrimp are kept at higher temperatures, their metabolisms speed up and they can become aggressive toward other fish.

Guest Chishower

I believe there is a type of prawn also sold labled ghost shrimp, but they get bigger and are more aggressive. You can tell them apart because A) They are bigger (usually 1.5" in the store) and B), they have longer pincers. Maybe this is what they mean?

That could be it. One site mentioned that some people have reported their ghost shrimp catching their fish fry and eating them. The site said that the people most likely have a larger type of shrimp with is also see thru, but has bigger claws, since ghost shrimp's "claws" are thought to be too small to do that.

Guest Chishower

I am going to try to find out a little more about that worm.

Another cool shrimp you might like are cherry shrimp. They are pretty much the same, just bright red. Aqua bid has them.

They really are neat little critters.

cherry shrimp? cool.. arent they a bit bigger? i forgot about those, i must have thought they were marine *doh* :)

Kissy, thanks for looking for the info, sorry you didnt find any! iv got one shrimp left :( his name is declan :) hes in the 10 with 3 danios.. probably eating all their eggs <_<

I have found, ghost shrimp will do just fine with salt, but the others hate it. Also, some bettas will eat ghost shimp up in a snap, while others ignore them. :) just have to try.

Okay :) I have no idea how Orchard will react with them. If I find he's aggressive, of course I'll try to rehome them in a different tank. They are good jumpers, right? They can either go in a peaceful tropical ten gallon with no top currently, or a hooded 29 gallon that will have baby goldfish in it. Which is the better back up plan? I'll QT them inbetween tanks because I don't know a whole lot about Orchard's rot.

Also... when you are QTing them (probably about 3 weeks) what kind of equipment is needed? Do I need a filter and/or air stone? Or can I keep them in a covered container?

Guest Chishower

I don't think you need to QT them, as far as I know the only parasite they carry is clearly visible but if you do:

they are very, very sensitive to ammonia. I killed off a bowl full by putting a smidge too much food in over night. So, you should have some kind of filter in there, but not one with a strong flow. Sponge filters work well. And they do jump, so I would go with the 29 until you get a hood for the 10.

Those are horsehair worms, only infectious to crustaceans and insects. They're not a problem for vertebrates (or snails for that matter). There isn't really anythign else shrimp can carry... the same rules apply as for snails: washing or a couple days QT will do it. If you have other shrimp or crayfish already though in the tank, then you might want to do a full QT...especially for the horsehair worms. You don't want new shrimp infecting existing shrimp with something if you can avoid it.

Er...well, it depends on how long exactly you're talking about. I'd say it's more like a fish (although crays are a different story). Yes, you can have them out for a bit, but not for very long. Shrimp are pretty fragile little guys.

Okay, I'll be sure to be careful with my shrimpies. I thought of an idea for a shrimp hiding space today. I can borrow some of the round river rocks from one of my other tanks and pile them in a corner. Would the crevices make a good hiding place for the shrimp?

Archived