Sign in to follow this  
Guest JustJayde

The Penguin Filters...

Guest JustJayde

If you have been debating a penguin bio wheel filter and think it is just too costly lemme tells ya , IT IS WORTH IT!

When I set up my stuff in the beginning the prices were daunting for me because I am on a REALLY FIXED INCOME. However here I am 5 months into fishie ownership and I realized the stuff I had just was not cutting it.

My filter was keeping my tank clean , until it broke down. People always commented on how clean my tank was and it was great to get so many compliments.

I went out and bought a penguin bio wheel (make sure you get 1 size up from what you need). It was 60.00 and for me that was insane, justifying it was difficult.......

I had to do a hack job on my hood with a red hot butcher knife just to get it to fit LOL no perforations on MY hood.

And let me tell you, here and now. It is JUSTIFIED. this is the best . filter. ever.

His water is crystal clear and beautiful! everything is crisp and clean and clear! He has TWICE the energy because the water is so perfect now. It is so much cleaner that I keep staring in amazement at the difference.

So, if you are hesitating on the penguin bio wheels I say go for it! Good stuff. :exactly

Edited by JustJayde

:exactly

I second that! I too today got my first Penguin BioWheel, it's a 200. I have a 10gallon tank and looking to get a 20+ soon. While my tank was clear before, it's AMAZINGLY clear now! It's been running for 4 hours now and I can't believe the difference! I am using Cycle directly on the wheel to get me throught the last bit of cycling - trying to control those nitrites.

I LOVE it - I did look at the P350 but it would be huge for the tank I have now and I definitely wanted to use it now. I will get another one when I get the larger tank.

I am on :9

Question: the current is really strong and adjusting the flow intake valve doesn't seem to make any difference? Am I doing it wrong :blink: ?

Any advice will be very appreciated!

GOLDFISH RULE :heart

Saivite

:yay: It always feels good to do something great for the fish! :exactly

By placing ornaments and plants (live or simulated) under the filter outlow, you can mitigate the strength of the outflow. Experiemnt a little and see if you can create an environment can find one or two places of "peace" - where they can stand still to sleep without being disrupted by the current - then you might have found the right arrangement!

In my opinion, one can never have too much filtration with a GF! But, harmonizing it with a comfortanle environments is the Art of Fishkeeping! :)

Coapcetic! You guys should be sure to add this to the Product Review forum!!!!

Guest JustJayde

My outflow was really strong the first day or 2... but then it calmed down a LOT. My fish absolutely LOVES the new filter... it changed the entire dynamics of his tank. the current is fun to play in and the tank is so clean, he zips around happy.

be sure your water level is almost up to the lip and not DROPPING into the water, that will lessen it a lot :)

Hi everyone!

I'm glad you guys all love the penguin biowheel. I have a penguin mini, but with no space for a biowheel, and a huge regent filter. Regent filters are the exact same as penguins and both made by marineland, but it doesn't come with the wheel. There's still the space for it...I think later when I've gont more money I'm going to purchase a wheel :)

Thanks everyone!

I moved some plants around and the fish seem to be happy :huh: ?

There are a few quiet place for the 3 of them to chill and sleep.

I can't wait to get the bigger tank. The client hasn't returned my managers call regarding his donation to moi of his 20+ gallon set up. :angry:

So I have been looking around and found a 29 gallon and decent looking, hard wood stand for $130. There was a Penguin BioWheel 200, might be included. No $ at the moment so, in a couple weeks, if that client doesn't come through - I'll go get it.

It's at Pet Supermarket btw.

thanks again!

Saivite

Guest JustJayde

I think I would get the bio wheel next step above the 200 for a tank that size...... the 200 may not be strong enough for that many gallons...

Ah-hah...What about 2 - P200's for a 29 gallon as opposed to one P350? Or maybe get a p350 and also use the P200?... :hummm

S~

(maybe this post for tank equip section?)

Guest JustJayde

LOL it's ok...

Well if you check out their recommended sizes (which pump goes with which gallons) and just go up one level its usually good :D so whatever combo you want to try :) tis your tank.

keep in mind the current will be stronger with more filtration ... so you have to create calm areas for the fish :)

I would prolly try to do the 330 in a 20 - 30 gallon tank, but it may be a bit too strong without breaking up the flow.

Hi Guys! :D

Yes, the Penguin Bio-Wheel line of filters are Probably the best HOB filter ever made. I already loved the older models (especially the 330's) and raved about them to anyone who would listen. Then when they came out with the new models, I had mixed feelings. However, after running one for almost a year now, I think that they indeed made the best filter, better. :exactly

While I do not like the little flow switch on the intake tubes, it does serve a good purpose. It's there so that you can feed sinking food to your fish without the filters sucking it up before your fish can get to it. Just flip the switch when you go to feed and when they are done, flip it back closed.

The bio-wheels, on the new models, have a larger diameter bio-wheel. But, they are also not as wide as the older ones. So, the surface area that gets colonized is probably about the same. Since the wheels are a larger diameter, and narrower, they spin faster and contact time with the colonized wheel is lengthened, this allows for more efficient bio-filtration than before.

My only quam with the new models is that the impeller/housing seems to have been raised a bit higher than the older models. This is a potential danger in that if you allow the water level in the tank to drop too low, from evaporation, the water in the filter could completely drain back into the tank during a power outtage (VIA syphon effect). When the power comes back on, it wont be able to prime itself if the impeller isn't submerged in water. So, try hard to keep the water level high enough so that its right at the base of the water return/slide.An important heads up for anyone using the new models.

As for the media baskets for the new models go, check this link out: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=31821 This project is actually useful for any HOB filter.... ;)

Paul

My only quam with the new models is that the impeller/housing seems to have been raised a bit higher than the older models. This is a potential danger in that if you allow the water level in the tank to drop too low, from evaporation, the water in the filter could completely drain back into the tank during a power outtage (VIA syphon effect). When the power comes back on, it wont be able to prime itself if the impeller isn't submerged in water. So, try hard to keep the water level high enough so that its right at the base of the water return/slide.An important heads up for anyone using the new models.

427338[/snapback]

Actually, I noticed that, without actually noticing it, I guess. :D I have an old 170 and a new 150 on my 29 gallon, and when I'm done with my water changes and I turn everything back on again, the 170 always starts right up while I have to pour three or four cupfuls of water into the 150 to get it up and running again.

Hmmm... interesting...

Guest JustJayde

hehe ya! it is the best filter.

I made my filter's out of cross stitch plastic mesh stuff.................

I have bio media in the back, and floss just tucked between 2 panels , then the wheel in front..............

I am about to buy a Penguin 350 for my 20 gallon, do I need anything else to go with it, or just the filter and what comes in the box? I know I will need more cartridges eventually, but is everything that I need to start out included?

If I want a media basket those are extra right? I am trying to raise the ph and kh in my tank, so I have crushed coral in my current filter, but would like an easy place to put it.

I am totally new at this, so if I am not on the right track, please let me know!

Guest JustJayde

Hmn I just put the media into the back and created dividers myself.... I have no idea how you will set yours up... it's kinda a trial by error thing in my opinion ;)

you could always use your handy dandy pantyhose and a veg clip.

It should come with everything you need :) but I would snag a bag of extra filters right away if I were you :)

Also remember, in a 20 that is gunna have a strong current, it will take your fish a few days to get used to it......... it'll be awesome in your 55 tho!

for now, use the flow control, and be sure to break the flow with an ornament or plants etc. :)

good luck!

I love my Bio wheels, i actually recently upgraded to TWO 350Bs. I have one on each side of the tank, i use one with the full extension on it to reach all the way to the bottom, and i keep the little side door open. on the other i keep the filtration higher.

I was worried initially about a possibility of too much current but i have had NO problems. I only change out my filters once a month, if that often, it depends on if they start to stop doing their jobs, but i rinse them clean twice a month, and my tank is always sparkling clean.

Since I switched to the two filters people have actually started commenting that my fish look like they are swimming in air. which was one of the best compliments ive had on my tank!

Oh, and not only is drs. foster/smith a good place to get the biowheels, but if you can order from www.vvvv.com they are even cheaper. they are about half the price they are in the store as well from their online site!

Thanks Jayde, for all the tips, and thanks to everyone else as well! Hopefully this will help keep my water cleaner and unstress my fish a little bit. They are getting red streaks in their tails :-( so I want to make sure the water is as good as I can get it. It'll help to not have an in-tank filter (which the one I have now is) because it won't take up swimming space. I'll have to leave both on there for awhile for the cycle though.

Thanks again! I should be getting it tomorrow. :-)

Jen, you have an whisper internal filter, right? You could just shake the bio-bag out in the bucket of old tank water and put it in the penguin with the new filter cartridge. You should just be able to stick it in there, or you could clip it to the side with some sort of clip. This will work just as well as running both filters, and you can give your fishies some more space right away.

Good thinking kortniee! I will definitely do that!

Sadly, I could not buy my new filter today because I am shorter on cash than I thought. :-( So I added my other Whisper filter to help with the tank, hopefully that'll keep things in check until I get the Penguin, in two weeks or so.

Thanks again!