Snails, Snails, Snails.......

kila

I am looking for a snail to join my 2 fancy goldfish in their 20 gallon tank (UK gal).

I was going to buy a Malaysian Trumpet Snail online but then realised that I'd have hundreds in a short space of time....don't want that!!

So is an Apple Snail the way to go?

If there are any UK or European folk with a spare Apple Snail that they would sell let me know because I can't find them here (I live in Sicily).

:yeah:

I actually found an Apple Snail today in a shop today...yippee!!

I have him in quanatine on his own in a bucket at the moment. How long is it before can join my Fancies? :)

He can join them as soon as you are sure he wont be able to fit in your goldies mouths. ;)

Edited as I forgot to mention something:

Just be careful that the snail manages to get something to eat. Originally with my 7 brigs, I had two goldie babys. That lasted all of three days because my goldies were piggys :rolleyes: and gourged at the algae wafers and snail cookies until I just had to remove them altogether. My snails wouldn't go near the food with the goldies hanging off of it steady. Just thought Id mention it from my own experience. Mabey your goldies wouldn't have a taste for snail food. Donno.

you might have to take your snail out of the tank to feed him sometimes...as they eat a lot, and it might be hard to get food with your goldfish eating it :P

i just used to put my snail in a small contanier with some tank water....and of course some food

Thanks for your replies guys...yes for the past week I've been taking the little guy out to eat, I put him in a little plastic dish with some aquarium water and he is free to eat in peace without greedy goldies annoying him. Think this is the way it might have to be from now on.

Wow, now that is impressive, how did you mange that? I think my goldfish are anarchists....they only obey their own laws!! Poor snaily hasn't a hope. I even try to sneak some food in when they're asleep but no chance...they're awake and on it immediately! I'm afraid it's the feeding dish for Ulla. :)

:D That little trick with the Goldfish may work for a while,but then they'll figure it out. I am talking from experience. :lol: My goldies don't miss anything,even in the dark.I think that they can tell that the water movement's different or something because :yeah: they always know now...... :rofl

I take my snails out to eat in the tanks that have goldies too, heck the goldies even nibble the lettuce and stuff i give em(and usually will nibble an antenna or two right off too :yikes : )

I feed my goldies first and them while they are gobbling away I plop in an algae wafer or two...but if he's on top ill add his/er fave FD Bloodworms along with an algae wafer....I need to get a vaggie clip and some veggies...The only veggies Fearless has had is carrots and peas....

I feed sinking foods, so the goldies are rooting through the gravel while the snails hover on the other side....

I just kept feeding the goldies on one side, and tossed a few kibbles on the other for the catfish and all... once the cories and the snails figured out they wouldnt get any from the goldies side, the tried their side... has been working for 6 months now...

Archived