Brown Algae

Incandisco

Hi all,

I've got a growth of brown algae in both my tanks. Any ideas what can cause this?

My small tank is 10g

0ppm ammonia

0ppm nitrite

0ppm nitrate

15w SunGlo bulb, on for 10 hours a day

Temp about 22 degrees (Centigrade)

Ph 8.0 stable

Large Tank... 75g

0ppm ammonia

3ppm nitrite

15ppm nitrate

2 x 40w SunGlo bulbs on for 10 hours a day

Temp 30 degrees (Centigrade)

Ph 8.0 stable

NO FISH (fishless cycle in progress).

No direct sunlight can reach these tanks. Any ideas what causes it, and what I can do to the water to stop it building up on my fake plants and ornaments (let alone the sides of the tank).

Guest serpthia

Hello,

Thank you for asking this question, as I need suggestions for this as well. Thank you for asking this question, as I need suggestions for this as well. Algaecide doesn't seem to help get rid of the lower form brown algae.

Guest serpthia
:( Sorry for the double line. I am running on empty and I just can't think. I have had no sleep for twenty-four hours. I still look forward to some information on the problem. Ignore all typos please. :D

Guest serpthia

Well, Incandisco, I think I read that a brighter light will induce green algae and get rid of the brown gucky, ugly stuff. Hopefully, someone will come along to correct me if I am wrong.

I did get a few hours of sleep, but I feel like I have a hangover without having the pleasure of indulging in libations. It's a yucky feeling!

Got it! Found the problem.

Our water is quite high in phosphates and so the algae thrives. I've got to cut down on the water changes (I do 2 a week, even though ammo, nitrite and nitrate are all 0). So I'm going to try 1 a week, and test conditions on that!

I've also put reflectors on my flourescent lights, to reflect more of the light back into the water - and I've set the timers to 15 hours of light per day. Let's see if that works.

Thanks for the advice Koko.

Archived