Fish Doesn't Seem To Like Progold

scriber

I usually feed the Hikari Oranda gold but decided to try the progold because of all the rave reviews that i have read about it. That, and i've gotten tired of having to soak and then squish the hikari Oranda Gold.

Well, I fed them the Progold for the first time last night and they are harder than the HOG since Progold isn't supposed to be pre soaked. They sink to the bottom so i dont have to squish them like the HOG but the fish don't seem to eat as much of it as the HOG.They ate approx. 1/2 the amount they usually do. It reminds me of when i only soaked the HOG and didn't squish them, the fish didn't like to go to the surface for them so they ate slower.

Maybe my fish are are really lazy finicky eaters. :blink:

Guest Gabi-hime

I think someone else mentioned this about a month ago and the consensus there was that the Progold was more nutritious than the other food the person was feeding, so the fish didn't have to eat as much to get full. Of course, I'd also heard that Hikari Goldfish foods are also very good, so I don't know what to tell you. Progold is the only goldfish pellet I feed and the fish love it ^^.

Guest Luke Anderson

your fish is most likely just not used the new foods, give them time and this should change :)

You could try soakign the progold for a short time for a while so it would be a similar texture as the other food until they get used to it.

I personally feed progold, hikari lionhead, and omega one pellets (as far as the staple diets, plus a bunch of other stuff) ,and my fish the little pigs love them all the same :lol:

I tried soaking the progold tonight, about 5 mins. until it started to crumble...but when i tried to smush it, it was still rock hard in the middle. These little fishies better start to warm up to the progold soon, i bought a 2lbs bag. :blink:

Guest Luke Anderson

i just thougth of something...

about how large are your fish? smaller fish have abit harder time eating progold unless it is broken into smaller pieces.

i just thougth of something...

about how large are your fish? smaller fish have abit harder time eating progold unless it is broken into smaller pieces.

My fish are fairly small...about 2.5"-3". I will try to brake them up into smaller pieces. Thnx.

• 2 weeks later...

At first I tried my fish with progold, they spat it out. I tryed presoaking it. No difference. I dont see why they don't like it.... :unsure: Eventually I got rid of it. (the fish just wouldn't eat it!) and got onto tetrafin complete fancy goldfish diet. They seem to like that and they don't spit it out.

Archived