Hey Donya---quick Question!

Devs

:rolleyes: Hey,Right now,there's a few threads going on around the board involving Ick and Snails,that I'd love for you to set us straight on.I still consider myself somewhat a Newbie on Snails & their diseases.Anyway, I saw two different threads on the Applesnail forum that said,"Snails DON'T get Ick,and that Snails are NOT a host for them. Now is this a fact,are snails not able to contract Ick,or carry cyst/tomites to another party? Your expertise will be greatly appreciated on this matter. ;)

Snails do not get ich and snails cannot carry ich as a parasite directly.

The only way they would be able to spread it is through water they are carrying/covered with. Hence, wrinse the snails and/or QT the them for a few days with a couple water changes and all will be fine. Marisas are best QT'd because they hold water in their shells and you can't make them let it out. I QT'd some Marisas from an ich-riddled petstore tank by putting them in a bowl for a few days, changed out the water several times (once per day) and then put them right in the tank. Problem-free. All other snails you can just swish around in the water (making sure they arn't holding a big mantle-full of water), dry them if you're still worried, and plop them back in the tank. The applesnail.net'erswith fish have had to do this plenty of times ;)

:D Thank you soooo much for explaining that for us. I belong to the Apple Snail forum,and have read and passed on a few times that snails don't get Ick.I have just seen a few cooments on this board lately,that said oh yeah,they do get it.Anyway....................I think that this is quite a popular question,and may just pin it for everyone. Thanks Donya! ;)

:rolleyes: I just want to add for all those people asking,"Who's Donya" ?

right about now that Donya is one of the Moderator's at Applesnail.net. She really knows her "Snaily Stuff" :exactly

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Hi Donya,

Just a quick question. Does Neritina Natelensis need scrubbing too? Do you think they carry water in their shells too? I also saw in some other topic about higher kH...my Zebras seemed to be stuck in one corner and sometimes goes to the top over the water, when you say put them in higher kH, will they then have to be separated from the GF?

Devs, do you keep your snails with your GF? I separated mine a few days ago. Should it be fine to put them together with my GF again once they get the new bigger tank?

Edited by hope28

• 12 years later...