Water Star

Hidr

Mine is doing fine :-) I can't tell if it's growing or not but it's still green and uneaten (my fish have gone for it many times but I think it's too tough for them). The main thing I'm dealing with is that the 2 moors like to uproot it and I'll find it floating around. I plant to transition to barebottom in the next few weeks so hopefully the plants will have an opportunity to grow better roots in pots.

Thanks again for sending it, I was so worried that any live plants in my tank would quickly rot away...now I realize there are aquatic plants that will survive.

Have you tried leaf zone? I put that in my tank every now again. Not ever week like it says. Ya the goldfish dont seem to care for that plant so it does well with them. Also have you thought about gettting some plant weights? I have not done this yet but plan to real soon. I have some on my java moss and they stay down really good with them on.

Mine is looking really good!! Its turning a nice bright green (a far cry from the smashed flat plant I got, LOL!). I have it in my 30 gallon tropical tank so far. Im going to eventually grow enough to try some in with my goldies but Im not brave enough to do that. I have some floating on the surface and the rest planted in the substrate. Its starting to grow new little shoots! I love this plant. Thanks again Hidr!

Never hear of "Leaf zone"--is it fertilizer? I will look into it but so far the waterstar is a nice bright green :-) I will look into plant care, plant weights etc. I was thinking of planting in bonsai pots when I clear out all the gravel, or maybe the rock-shaped reptile water dishes that daryl mentioned--so I don't know if I would need plant weights. My husband/people I know think that bonsai planters in the aquarium will look really strange/ugly but they aren't the ones taking care of the fish! ;-)

My waterstar is also doing great! I have the plant floating right now, in the guppy tank, since the little babies need a place to hide from their hungry mother! When the guppies are a bit bigger, I will plant it in the gravel as well as trying it in a clay pot...Thanks again, Hidr, for the nice plant!

The idea with bonsai planters is actually kind of neat! I saw a display in a big 220 gl tank in a store with a whole chinese theme with the goldies in it. They had a huge bridge in the tank, I think I saw that bridge at some independent stores. Then some rather big chinese houses in as well, and fake and live plants planted in those bonsai planters! I really loved that set up! And it was barebottom as well, with just some black river rocks laying around in piles here and there. Looked very authentic! :happydance

Archived