Sign in to follow this  
kila

Black Moor Lying On The Bottom On His Tank

Test Results for the Following:

Amonia Level? Don't have a test for it

Nitrite Level? 0mg

Nitrate level? Don't have a test for it

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)? PH 7.5 KH 16 (seems very high I know but it always has been between 14-16 since I got them)

Ph Level out of the Tap? 8

Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 20 gallons. Been running for a month and half

What is the name and size of the filter/s? I have 2 filters running, 1 small one with just one sponge in it (Ferplast Blu Compact 01) and another much bigger one with ceramic, carbon, cotton wool and a sponge all in it, I don't know the name.

How often do you change the water and how much? Now that the tank has cycled i change it onece or twice a week...about 30%

How many fish in the tank and their size? 3 fancy goldfish, about 1 to 1.5 inches each without tails

What kind of water additives or conditioners? I only use a water conditioner with every water change. Other than that the only additive i have used is salt when the tank was cycling.

Any medications added to the tank? No

Add any new fish to the tank? No

What do you feed your fish? Flakes, pellets (soaked) and occasionally peas.

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? No nothing

Any unusual behavior like staying

at the bottom, not eating, ect..? Big time staying at the bottom!

I?m very worried about my Black Moor who has been lying motionless at the bottom of his tank for two days now. He?s never done it before and I?ve had him for a month and a half. He shares his tank with one other Black Moor and a Golden Fantail. It?s a 20 gallon tank which I know is too small for them but I will be investing in a much bigger aquarium for them soon. The three of them are about 1.5inches long each minus the tail. The tank finished it?s cycle last week during which I did 50% water changes everyday and gave them regular salt baths.

When it?s feeding time he comes up and eats and swims around for a couple of minutes but then he goes back down to the bottom and just stays there. The other two even swim over to him to ask him what the matter is but he doesn?t seem to be telling anyone!! He looks fine as in he has no marks of any disease or fungus but he just doesn?t want to engage anymore. What?s up buddy?

What I would do is either buy test kits for ammonia and nitrate or take a sample of my water in to a pet store and have it tested. Just to rule out any problems with ammonia. With a high ph, ammonia is much more harmful to fish. Also, you want to make sure that your tank has truly cycled.

Right now, I would do a big water change of about 50% and salt to 0.1% to start. That would be 1 teaspoon of salt per gallon. See if that perks the fish up a bit.

Also, what kind of maintenance are you doing with your filters?

Thanks for your response. I will certainly buy an ammonia test today and am now about to do a 50% water change. I rinse the sponges in both filters about once every two weeks but am not sure about how often to change the white cotton wool like substance to the ceramics or charcoal. I've only changed them once in 6 weeks. I'm afraid that if I change them all the tank will cycle again. Can you advise me on a safe maintenance routine?

Thanks very much.

That was my thoughts too.How do you know that the tank has actually cycled? Anyway, As far as cleaning the filter's on a cycling tank,I'd definately stop that.What you're doing is messing with the good bio-bugs forming,and that could possibly take the tank into mini cycles if it in fact was cycled. I have learned that unless your filter's are slowing down,clogged,etc., to just leave them alone.Once you know that your tanks cycled and that your bio-bugs are strong ,then you can do that every so often. I totally leave mine alone as much as I can. :) It's really hard to tell someone a safe maintainence plan because it depends on so many factor's. Size of fish/size of tank/types of filter's/amounts,and type of foods that they're eating,etc. That's one reason why complete test kits are a must! They take alot of guessing out of it all,nad as you test weekly,you'll begin to get an idea of what your tank's going to need from you. :)

I use mainly sponges or filter floss in my filters and don't use charcoal. It isn't necessary unless you are removing medication or dyes. So, I would get rid of the charcoal in that filter and add another sponge or more ceramic rings, if possible.

Once the tank is cycled, I would suggest rinsing the sponges or floss in tank water once per week during the regular water change. As Devs said, I don't replace my filter media (sponges or floss) until they are falling apart or so worn that they are not useful anymore. Then when I do replace them, I do it gradually. One sponge or one piece of filter floss at a time.

So, with the sponge filter, I would gently squeeze the sponge out in tank water once per week just to remove accumulated debris.

With the other filter, I would rinse the sponge and filter floss in tank water during water changes, but only rinse the ceramic rings out every couple of weeks or so. Again, you are just trying to remove dirt and debris, so use tank water and just swish everything around.

What type of water conditioner do you use? Please be aware before you buy your ammonia test kit, that both Prime and Amquel affect the results of ammonia tests. If you use either Prime or Amquel you will have to buy the appropriate test kit. I will post a link to that info in a minute. BTW, Prime is an excellent water conditioner and I highly recommend it :)

Here is the info about ammonia test kits and Prime or Amquel. This is off the Seachem website (makers of Prime)

Q: I am using Prime? to control ammonia but my test kit says it is not doing anything, in fact it looks like it added ammonia! What is going on?

A: A Nessler based kit will not read ammonia properly if you are using Prime?... it will look "off scale", sort of a muddy brown (incidentally a Nessler kit will not work with any other products similar to Prime?). A salicylate based kit can be used, but with caution. Under the conditions of a salicylate kit the ammonia-Prime complex will be broken down eventually giving a false reading of ammonia (same as with other products like Prime?), so the key with a salicylate kit is to take the reading right away. However, the best solution ;-) is to use our MultiTest: Ammonia? kit... it uses a gas exchange sensor system which is not affected by the presence of Prime? or other similar products. It also has the added advantage that it can detect the more dangerous free ammonia and distinguish it from total ammonia (which is both the free and ionized forms of ammonia (the ionized form is not toxic)).

Thank you all for your replies. I did a 50% water change and gave them a salt bath so hopefully he will be feeling better by tomorrow. I live in Sicily so unfortunately none of those product brands are for sale here. The water conditioner I use is called Sera.

Thank you for your filter advice also. All help is most welcome.

Hi I posted yesterday looking for help for my Black Moor who was lying on the bottom of his tank. :cry1

I'm a bit too sad to write but i just want to say a big thank you to those of you who replied. It's my first time joining a forum and I think your prompt help and advice was fantastic but unfortunately my little buddy didn't pull through.

While I'm here, I want to ask about my other Black Moor. I'm very frightened of losing him too. He's in great form, swimming all over the place and eating very well. He has tiny little blue flecks on the tips of both fins. He's had them for weeks. He's clear everywhere else. Is this normal?

Hi kila, I am sorry to hear your other fish didn't make it.

Since I don't know what was going on I will take a look at your other thread and see.

I may merge the 2 together, as the information usually needs to be in one place.

Or I may move this one out of the emergency forum, as too this fish we're worried about but not in death watch.

I will be back.

Ok I am back.

Valerie and Devs have given great advice.

Have you gotten any tests to test the ammonia or nitrates yet? This is the first place to start along with changing the water.

If you don't know those results it is hard to know what is going on.

These blue flecks are they on the tips of his pectoral fins (front fins) or on his cheeks by the gills?

They are on his pectoral fins.

I went to the store today to get an ammonia test and the assistant gave out to me for using salt, she said...no way never ever etc etc.....says it killed my fish. I don't know what's wrong or right. I just hope my other guys will be ok.

Any thoughts on the blue specks?

Thanks

Ok, it sounds like breeding tubrecales that male fish get when they are sexually mature. I am going to try and link a picture, if it doesn't work you can look them up.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...pe=post&id=6091

When the lfs clerk said that killed your fish, what was she or he talking about?

We have found a lot of personal that work in fish stores are very uneducated about the products and lives they sell. So if you clarify for us what she/he meant we can let you know what is the truth of it.

Those marks are a bit different to what my guy has but that's what it could be (wish I could draw it for you!!).

As for the clerk, she freaked when i said I gave him a salt bath (1 teaspoon per gallon). She said that you NEVER put salt in with a glodfish, she insisted that the are freshwater fish (I know) that can never be in contact with salt and that it probably killed my little fella.

Well it is as I expected, the store clerk is not educated on the fish.

GF being a freshwater fish, is true but aquarium salt or reg salt (with no caking agent) is fine for fish.

Yes over dosing them can be fatal but in small doses it acts as a stress reducer and often a medication for them.

If the dose you used was 1 tsp per gallon of water that is fine. THat is a 0.1% concentration. Fish can live in a 0.1-0.3% concentration for extended periods. So I don't think you killed your fish.

As for the specks, Where are they on your fish's fins?

How far off of that pic is it? They can be more or less depending on the fish.

Thanks I feel a lot better now knowing that I didn't harm the little one that died this morning.

The specks of blue run along the tip of both of his pectoral fins at the front. They don't look as though they have a raised surface, just look like part of his coloring...except that he didn't always have them. They're a brighter blue than in the photo, but as you say they differ from fish to fish so this is what it could be.

Please don't feel that you killed your fish with salt. I have used salt time and time again, without ill effects. It is a very effective and relatively stress-free to treat goldfish. They are very tolerant of salt in the concentrations we are talking about.

It does sound like breeding tubercles to me, too, especially since they are on the front of his pectoral fins.

Sorry about your little moor :(