Thinkin Of New Fish

balashark

ok, i'm thinking of adding 2 more fish to my tropical. i've got large fish and small fish, so i'm thinking a pair of something medium sized, say 3-5". anyone have any ideas; maybe something that you don't find in every single corner pet store, ya know?

as for the water column, i've got the bottom (cat and balas) and top (plattys) covered, i was thinking of something around the middle. if i could be guaranteed another parrot cichlid as peaceful as the one i've got i'd get another in a heartbeat.

neways, i went to vvvv just to have a look around, and two fish caught my eye; the opaline gourami and the golden wonder killifish. i haven't done any research yet on those two, so any suggestions or info would be greatly appreciated.

thanks. oh yea, for those that don't have my current set up memerized :)

bowfront w/ an aquaclear 500 on full, 2 bubble walls, 300w heater at 78*, ph just over 7.

2 7" bala sharks, 1 bubblegum parrot, 6 plattys, and 1 pictus cat.

any ideas?

How many gallons is your tank? As you know Balas can get a lot bigger and need more swimming room as they get bigger, so really you could be stocked past your limit if you take into account the full size of your fish and if they are in that tank for life.

if you have the water space, diamond tetras!!! get about 3 inches, and in the light, sparkle to pretty!! a pair or trio would prolly be fine...

ooorrr....rainbows? get about 4-5 inches for some species (look out, some can go like 7) and are extremly beautiful as adults

sandy, i've got all those fish in my 5 gallon hex. that should be good, right? :) thanks so much for caring about my fishies; it's a 72 gallon, and i'm already saving money back to upgrade to 125 when we move into a bigger place; jen and i have been pricing 'em for a while now. i'm only thinking of adding because i always seem to understock, so i was thinking adding 2 more fish might be a nice break between my boheoumuth sharks and the tiny plattys.

thanks for the link mfish, i'll go take a look at it here in a sec.

magic, i knew i could count on you :) actually i had shyed away from tetras because that was my first trial into aquaria, before anyone bothered to tell me about cycling or heaters. come to think of it though, i did have a pair of diamond tetras when i first got my 36 gallon. one died in an ich outbreak, and the other lived a good while. i always get bummed when i lose a fish, but he was one of the ones that i got really upset over losing. maybe i'll go see if i can't find a pair of 'em next week; unless sandy really thinks i don't have the room.

Hang on.

Kissy's right im gobsmacked. :o

You have those fish in a 5 gallon? :blink:

So when are you getting this 75 gallon? I thought they were all in the 75 and you were upgrading that.

Please dont buy any more fish for the 5 until you have the 75 and have it cycled. You do know that once you have them in the 75 you are going to need practically straight away the 125??

:rofl heck no, ive been caught. Serves me right for not reading it properly :lol:

I thought there wasnt something quite right but couldnt see it. blah! so unfair :)

Go with rainbow fish.

I will get you back Justin ;)

p757848.gif

OMG, i'm rollin on the floor. :) sorry sandy, i really didn't mean for you to skip over the part about them being in a 72. priceless reaction though B). i'm amazed you kept your calm, if someone told me they had two adolescent balas in a 5...

lolol, can you imagine that many fish in a 5 gallon, gawd, they'd be on top of each other if you could even fit a drop of water in there. not that i'm sure some people don't do that to their fish, but still. love that smiley where i'm gettin beat tho ;)

ok, help me out here. it's not very often i look up new fish. what's a rainbow fish. i did a quick search the other day but all i could find was one site saying about how there's 4 different kinds (but didn't go into any specifics) and if that's the case, which kind are ya suggesting for me?

sorry again sands :peeka

ok, i'm still laughing. and i am working hard on getting that 125, i know i need it (no christmas gifts this year :) ). but unfortunately we're in a third floor apt right now; and you should've seen all i had to do to ensure myself that the floor could hold the weight of the 72.

Just shows that I dont jump all over someone until i get the facts, for which im proud of bleh.gif

I'm so pleased you all had a good laugh, i was really worried lookaround.gif

anyway heres a good list of paradise fish for you, though i dont know why im bothering EMOAYfight02catfight.gif

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/fish_stats/...s.html#rainbows

go for the australian types, they are far prettier.

anyway heres a good list of paradise fish for you, though i dont know why im bothering EMOAYfight02catfight.gif

;)

lol sandy. thanks for the link.

and where on earth do you find all those great emoticons?

:exactly nope, no jumping all over people; you'd make a good mod w/ devs and the others B)

[edit] just saw silver's post. thnx to you for a link as well.

yea, badmans is always a good site, but i couldn't find any pictures that seemed to do them justice.

the tropical tank link had some nice pictures, especially of the lake kutubu rainbow

http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/Fishindx/mel-lacu.htm

wonder how easily vvvv could order me a pair of 'em. or do you think not keeping them in a big school would be detrimental?

From the way the bos's, reds, and neon rainbows act at my work, they do well in pairs. to me, tehy seem to have like amollie temperment, like friends, but can survive just fine with out them :D

yea, thanks again for the link mfish, that's where i found that one. so i went to the pet store and they didn't have any of those (i coulda asked for a special order, but didn't really want to) but they had some of the other rainbows that were just as nice.

ok, i almost made a potentially costly mistake. in all the excitement i almost nearly forgot about quarantine. it's been a while since i've gotten new fish for an established tank. thankfully i remembered that small step before purchasing anything.

so now my next task is to convince my significant other to, um, let me get the 36 out of storage and set that up as a goldie tank (w/ a new ranchu or oranda... :D ) and use the 20 my 2 fantails are in as qt. easier said than done. plus money's a little tight this month, so maybe best to wait a little bit anyhow.

thanks again for everyone's help though, especially you sandy ;)

Archived