Fixing A Hollow Ornament

daryl

They have this new, perfectly perfect new decoration for a large tank over at vvvv that I saw today. It is the typical hollow one, though, with an inch sized hole on the bottom and no flow through. It is just soooooo neat looking and would be exactly what I want in my big tank.

What if I filled it with wax and stones? That way the hollow part could contain no water and thus would be OK, right???????

Can anyone think of a reason why this would not work? Anyone have any better ideas for fillers? It would take about 8-9 cups of filler, probably. So it needs to be relatively inexpensive. Wax is inert, right? Plaster of Paris is too alkaline.

I guess I could fill it with stone, and glue a water proof seal across the hole. Hmmmmm........

PLEASE - any input here would be very appreciated. :D:D

Stone and wax would work, just make sure if there are any doubts about the stones being safe that you have only wax exposed at the end of the hole. I'd use rocks and fill the end with silicone, but that's just because I already have silicone.

Ooooooo sand. I like sand. That is a good thing. Since thehole is so big, I need to find a plug material - a piece of plastic or something would do.....hmmmmm...

Gonna go buy that thing next time I am out. It looks really cool!

Thanks! :)

(sorry I missed your tip of the month, Mike!) :blink:

Thanks, Koko. There is a problem with doing it that way - there is no way I could ever find enough tubes of silicon stuff to mix with sand. I am talking about 8 cups of the stuff!

How about just filling it with sand and sealing the end off so it is water tight? I hope I should be able to make it water tight, but even if it were not, it would be nearly.....

Nearly only counts in horseshoes and fish tanks?

I would fill it with sand but be very careful using silicone as an adhesive since some types are toxic too fish. I would seal it with the stuff they sell for sealing tanks and then you don't have too worry.

No, I have not purchased it yet, but as soon as I get out and get it, I will attempt to post. :) It looks like a fresh water gray granite boulder - like you see in so many lakes. I like that. I do not want coral or lava formations or such. And all my other tanks have driftwood. I wanted something different. I have been contemplating those tree root thingys, but have not liked the colors - they are all too orange.

The only drawback with this one is that it does have considerable volume - taking that much water volume away from the fish - something I am loathe to do. I thought about sawing it in half and standing the two halfs to the back of the tank. The water would flow through and I would have two ornaments for the price of one. I may still consider that.

I meant the silicone stuff used to seal tanks with. It comes in tubes at the fish store. I use it to glue rocks to plant bottoms and such. But the tubes are little.

I think I shall buy it and try the sand/sealing the hole thing. There is one 3/16 inch hole near the top, and an 1 1/4 inch hole in the bottom. They should not be that difficult to seal!

:):):)

Well, here is a picture of this ornament. I have sealed the small holein the top and am waiting for that to completely cure. Then I am going to try to fill it with as much sand as I can and seal the bottom.

The "stonee" is approximately 14-15 inches high at the tallest, about 14 inches wide at the widest, and about 6 inches deep or so.

I hope I can seal it adequately. It should look very good in my tank. I am just so tired of lava rock and driftwood decorations!

post-11-1069167591.jpg

Nope - no sharp or pointy edges. The angle I took it makes it look like the top might be kind of pointy, but it really is not. The "leg" will probably be fairly fragile, and, once I fill it with sand, I expect I should support it carfully when picking the thing up, but, all in all, it seems like a very nice decoration. At least it is not coral or driftwood. :D

Archived