Only Sbd.... I Hope!

Dory

I just walked into my room tonite and I was turning off the fish lights when I noticed that Dusty, my favorite and biggest fish, was not moving. I looked at her for a minute and she scared me half to death because she looked dead! she was just letting herself float along with the current and not swimming hardly at all and she was breathing veeeerry slowly. it freaked me out so bad! when I put my hand in the tank she didn't react(she usually comes up and nibbles my fingers)! she is still swimming a little, but she has never acted like this! After I calmed myself down I realized that this is probably just sbd, and I know what to do with that, you fast them for a few days and then feed peas and from then on always soak their food. I'm just hopeing that this is actually sbd (none of my fish have ever had it, so I never soaked their food....bad mommy!)and not something else! I'm pretty sure that the params are just fine(in fact, I just did a rather large water change a few days ago, I think about 60-70%), but I havn't checked in a while, I'll get those as soon as possible! no other strange finding on the fish, no fish added to the tank for a few months now, and that one was QT'd. 55g tank with just her and one other small gf and a snail (and eight baby snails, but they'er much too small to count). please tell me this is just sbd!

Hi Dory,

I'm sorry your fish is ill. Any sign of redness in the fins? Like the blood veins are bulging...

I can't honestly say sbd as it may or could be bacterial or something else.... The slow breathing doesn't sound good and I would like you take a gill check. Gently lift the gill plate with your finger and take a peek. The gills should look meaty red like a beef steak, firm and uniform. They should not be dark, pale or cooked meat color, excessivly slimey or tattered.

Salt to 0.1% and slowly raise the temp up to 79*, a round of medicated food would not hurt either.

sorry it took so long to respond; I don't get that much internet acess these days! well, that was really wierd but she's just normal now! she's swimming around and eating out of my hand like nothing was wrong! But somthing definatly was wrong, and I intend to find out what it was so I can prevent it from happening again! there was no red blood veins bulging, and I think her gills were looking fine too*goes to take a peek* but, they'er looking okay now anyway... exept I could never actually lift up her gill flaps though, too scary, so I just waited until she was in the right angle so that I could see in! yep, just the right color, raw steak color. I can't salt the tank though because there's snails in there! thanks!

Hi Dory,

I'm glad to see & read that she is acting normal then! She may have ben really really asleep. I have a Oranda, Mr. Chubby, that is such a lunker in sleep mode, he ends up head down, tail up and sometimes over on his back at times... To wake him since he is a corner fishy, is almost awful... he try's to swim forword in a corner... DUH! Takes him a min or two until he realizes he has reverse.. :blink:

It scared me a lot at first, but its his normal, once he is fully awake he's just fine! Goofy fish! <_<

I don't think that this was just deep sleep, because I've never seen this before (or since) and I even bumped her a little and no response. whatever it was I hope it dosn't happen again! :unsure:

Archived