Broke My Tank Lid!

jsrtist

:o I got some new fish tonight and was adding them to my 30 gallon. The hinge to the lid broke off a long time ago so I have 2 separate pieces to my glass lid. I had one on the floor propped up against the tank and my cat rubbed against it and it fell over, hit the edge of my stand, and broke into 5 pieces! :(:unsure: So now I dont know what to do? I was planning on getting a canopy eventually but not right away. I dont know what to do until then. I have a very sneaky pleco in this tank who slithers out throught the slightest crack, a betta who can jump, and a fiesty cat whos the reason for all this in the first place!

I tried cementing the lid back together but I dont think it will be very strong. Anyone have any ideas?

• Admin

Oh JS :cry .

Im sorry this happened, this sucks so much....The only thing I could think of is maybe take some stronge Cardboard and use that for support for the glass. You know like the underside of it untill you can get another one....Just a thought?>

Plexiglass would work but I dont have any on hand. I'll try cardboard and see how that does. Right now its all taped up with packing tape but it bends when I put it on there!! I have a breeder net in the corner so it doesnt lay flat on there. Sad thing is, I have a couple extra glass lids, but theyre just a few inches short! :(

Guest serpthia

jsrtist,

That stinks! Most glass shops carry pexiglass and will cut it to size and it is relatively inexpensive. I had a large piece cut for ten dollars.

For now can you cut a piece of wood for support and use your extra lid? You would only need a piece of wood an inch over the depth (both sides) of your tank and then fill in on the short end. Assuming that is where the shortness occurs.

Well I wrapped tons of packing tape around the broken lid and have it propped up at an angle with the extra (smaller) one. A little lopsided but I think it will work. Im just so mad! Last night I was cleaning the water spots off all my lids and I was thinking, it would really suck if I broke one of these? and then I go and do exactly that! <_

Well we made it through the night with my makeshift, ugly overlapped lids. LOL No kitties getting in and no fishies getting out. Im goign to work tonight so maybe I can find somethign there I can use, like an old lid or something. We always have stuff lying around. Has anyone ever used that eggcrate stuff on their lids? Its like white plastic mesh, but larger. We use it over our saltwater tanks so the light can get through. I might try some of that. I was going to get it later on when I get my canopy anyway. Thanks for all the replies and ideas. Let this be a lesson to you?dont prop your glass lids up against the tank stand!! :P

The plastic will not support a cat, but then I am hoping yours do not sit on the tank as do mine.

I broke my brand new 56 gallon corner round tank lid only 2 months after I got it. I tried the plexiglass, but the 3/16 and 1/4 thick plexiglass tended to bend and sag over time. Since then I have purchased Lexan - the plastic they use for bullet proofing car windows and such. It is available mailorder - if you are interested I could look up the place. It is stronger than glass and does not sag, even with a warm light or a 25 pound cat sitting on it. It was easy to cut with the band saw and is as clear as a bell. I am pleased with it.

I am sorry about your lid. :(

Well, im fairly lucky, my glass broke, but 70% of it is still there, but anyway, if it brakes, i have a wooden lid which closes(came with a stand

Sorry about that. Hope u fix it b4 they get out

Archived