Growing Anacharis

jsrtist

Im the only person I know in the world who cannot keep anacharis alive! (I mean, with adequate lighting). Ive been trying to grow some in my 100 gallon since I re-did the lighting but everytime I put it in there it goes limp and the leaves melt off and make a huge mess. We have such nice healthy anacharis at our store but everytime I bring it home it does that. I treat it with PP for a few hours and then rinse before putting it in my tank.

Im running two 48 watt daylight Helios T5s above my tank along with 2 standard 20 watt flourescents that came with the tank. Until recently I had a third 48 watt plant bulb (it burned out and I havent replaced it yet). The water is about 78? right now (much warmer in the summer). My pH is about 8.2 and steady. My nitrates are always around 20. My KH is 6?. I have glass lids on my tank until I can get a canopy going for it. But I constantly clean the glass?is it really filtering out that much!?

Anyway does anyone have any ideas? Im really frustrated here. Oh and the goldfish arent eating it?the leaves are literally just falling off.

See, thats what I was thinking too. Do you think my tank is just too hot? Its finally down to about 78? which the fish think is great. The only thing I dont understand though, is that at the store the plant sales tanks are just as warm as my tank (since they have all the high intensity lighting). Im confused? :unsure:

• Admin

yeah but Js look at the plants at your store after they have been there for a week. You will see that some of the leafs are coming off, when they first arrive they are very nice but after a while they will loose the leafs. :(

You know what might be a great plant for your tank :) Onion Plants there great, :)

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/Plants.html

• 3 weeks later...

I have some in my tank, too. It grew great for a while, but now it looks kind of cruddy and is leafless in many spots.

Oh, and I've never seen my fish eat it either!

Archived