Sign in to follow this  
sandy

Do You Feed Tubifex?

Ive always known that tubifex can bring in parasites to your tank because of where they are found - sewage.

Thanks to Loz who sent me a copy of Tropical Fishkeeping Magazine it has now been shown to contain parasites.

Just to paraphrase the main bits

* Research was held in the University of Munich and studied tubifex for a year from different shops.*

*This showed that virtually all samples were infected with harmful parasites*

*Of seven samples, six contained infected oligochaetes (tubifex) and waterborne spores were present in 5 samples. In the laboratory, 12 different types of actinosporeans (myxozoa) were released by the oligochaetes.*

*These worms are made up of a number of different species, including Limnodrilus hoffmeisteri, L. udekemianus and tubifex tubifex.*

So basically if your tank is hit by some sort of sporozoan parasite then look to tubifex if you feed it.

Kim, if you read this then i highly suspect that the tubifex was the cause of your fish being infected.

I stopped feeding tubifex months ago, and i would urge anyone who feeds it to any fish to stop.

Thanks for posting that Sandy...I started feeding my goldies tubifex about a month or so ago.I will not feed them tubifex ever :)

I wonder if it also causes septicemia? I'm still at a loss as to how my celestial degenerated from a healthy, happy little fish to blood streaked, bacterial ridden and very sick within the space of 48hrs. I had just purchased some tubifex and fed for the first time... then 24hrs later - sick, very sick.

I wonder if it carries anything bacterial? If the source is sewerage, then that may be the answer (or a possibility at the very least) :(

Thanks for posting this Sandy, mine's now in the bin :)

Dont know about anything bacterial Jen but i suppose anything is possible. I suppose the worms could carry anything really. :crp

Guest JustJayde

Thanks for posting this, I was considering feeding my fish some.....

I am not surprised they carry so much parasites TBH... but it is good to have proof.

Edited by JustJayde

Yeah, well, you find all sorts of nasties in sewage.... I didn't know that is where they were found, I feed it occasionally, I am going to stop using it now...

frozen bloodworm ok then?

Edited by d_golem

Guest Chishower

Thats very interesting, and may be where bug got his sporozoin parasite infection.

I have to feed them till I get something else, though. Its the only food that my blind moor can easily eat enough of per meal. Any suggestions for a replacement?

Feeding bloodworm is fine and any other worm, its just the tubifex i wouldnt use.

Guest Stuart

Bloodworm are also water-borne, and as insect larvae are as susceptible to parasite infestation as the tubifex.

I am assuming that this is only with live foods? Freeze-dried and frozen should be safe enough?

No freeze dried and frozen can still harbour the parasites.

Its where these worms are harvested thats the biggest cause for concern.

;)

Its where these worms are harvested thats the biggest cause for concern.

418771[/snapback]

Sandy, I don't understand how freezed dried and frozen can be bad. Can the parasites live through the process? :blink:

I think most freeze dried foods have a much lower risk, but the risk is always still there.

I've never fed tubifex but now I know not to! Thanks Sandy :)

The eggs of parasites can live through freezing and its not just tubifex that will carry the risk, as any dried food can carry parasite eggs, but tubifex has a higher risk.

I have freeze-dried bloodworms by topfin, and on the container it says they are sterylized for a lower risk of diseases. Is that true?

The eggs of parasites can live through freezing and its not just tubifex that will carry the risk, as any dried food can carry parasite eggs, but tubifex has a higher risk.

419568[/snapback]

I didn't know that Sandy! :blink: Tough little buggers huh? I will never feed Tubifex again. It's not their favorite food anyway. They like bloodworms much better. :D

418771[/snapback]

Hmmmm, so should we avoid freeze dried bloodworms also? I'm currently treating for parasites and once I'm done I don't want to feed them the bloodworms if it's going to bring the parasites back!! They do love their bloodworms so I don't want to take them away if it's not necessary but I don't want to re-infect.

Oh someone tell me what to do!! :unsure:

on the back of mine (wardley's) it says "fresh from the ponds of asia" does that mean these are more safe? of course i doubt they'd mention they come from sewage on the package

Guest becky

Thanks for posting this. I have lost 5 fish over the last 5 months to a sporozoan parasite. I just assumed one of the fish was already infected when purchased and infected the others. But, I have fed them tubifex. Not much, but all it takes is one tiny spore to start reproducing in their gut.

What you quoted from the study gives me the impression that you would be lucky to get tubifex without any parasite contamination. How can a manufacturer sell something that killls fish? :angry:

*gulp*

Should I stop feeding any of my fish freeze dried bloodworms? Mine don't really seem to love them any more than the staple pellet/flake, but I feed it mostly for variety.

Guest becky
Feeding bloodworm is fine and any other worm, its just the tubifex i wouldnt use.

418733[/snapback]

Kissy, I think its just the tubifex. If you have any, throw it out immediately.