Panda Orandas

Roano

I've been wanting a panda oranda ever since I saw a picture of one, and I missed a couple of chances to get one when my stores had them avalible, first because I didn't have enough tank space and second because my fish got sick. But a day ago, I went to my mmm and they had 4 inch panda orandas for $16, which is the lowest I have ever seen them around here. I'm pretty sure I'll buy one at the end of this week to put into it's own 20 gal tank.

Anyway, I was wondering: are long hours of lighting good for panda oranda's color? I thought I heard that steady hours of light will help pandas keep their black. Are there any foods that might help them maintain their color? Will supplements of spirulina change the black or enhance it? In short, is there any way I can prevent their color from changing? I know that I can't change the fish's genetics and that black is the most unstable color, but thought I'd ask anyway.

The fish that I'm considering getting (if he's still there) had a large chunk of the top of his tail fin missing, but it didn't look ragged and his other fins looked fine. If I were to get him, should I add something like Mela-fix to the water to help it recover?

Thanks for any help.

i have a panda oranda.. hes about an inch, hes still got his black coz hes so young but he also had orange coming through.. im sorry i dont know much about keeping their colour, im sure someone else will come along soon and help both of us!

btw i think you should get him :) they are soo cute

Ok, my store got those to!

The sale ends on the 31st, then they go up to $30 (ouch!)

also, the ones we got are already turning red, while their nice orandas, dont get to attached to the black, the breeder is kinda iffy :) but they are very nice orandas

The light thing didn't work for me. I had heard this too but some say it is natural sun light that does this......but who knows. Anyway it is best to not leave the light on all the time for the fish need to sleep too and with no eye lids is kinda hard.

I think the pandas are adorable but everyone is right don't get attached to the black. I recently got a panda not for the panda look but am hoping it turns to a lemonhead oranda.

His wen is yellow under the black. Ranchugirl told me that if any orange on the pandas is seen you can bet in the end it'll be a orange fish. Just a little fyi.

My panda came from mmm as well, they got some in with anchorworm and gave him to me for 1/2 price because they really should'nt sell them. His dorsal fin was tore in half as well.

I am glad to report mine is doing fine, treated for anchorworm and his fins healing nicely.

Good luck they are such cute fish.

I want a panda oranda also, but I dont know anyone that has successfully keep one without it losing it's color eventually....I wish it was like a shubunkin or moor and was genetically stable and breed to keep the black

"Dont keep it under lght for too long though, remember, fish need sleep also."

Oh, no, definatly. I just was wondering if a little extra artificial light would help. My one tank gets natural light and I rarely turn the tank light on, they seem to dislike it and since the natural light fades I think it's easier for them to adjust rather than me suddenly turning it off. (Need to start turning the light on again this winter.)

Anyway, for the panda I was just wondering if it would be better just to keep more steady hours of artificail light.

I saw another nice panda, but I could see the orange coming out from under the black. The others all have orange starting too, or are losing all their black.

I'm pretty sure it's probably hopeless to wish a panda would keep their colors forever; too bad, they are such beautiful fish!

Oh, yeah, also, something that was kind of cool: when I was drooling over the pandas, a mmm employee noticed and talked to me about them, saying he knew they looked really cool, but needed at least 20 to 30 gals. I was pretty happy he said that.

Oops, sorry about the double post, my computer was acting up.

"Red Panda,' that's cute. Didn't you have a panda (Sharky?) that 'rusted'?

I've nearly finished cleaning the tank out; I'd tried to do a fishless cycle in it, but it wasn't working, so I'll just need to moniter the tank carefully, but at least I'll only have one fish in a twenty so I'm hoping it might be a little easier. (I know, wishful thinking, right?)

That is good you understand about the light. However in my experience it doesn't work. Thought it did for a while but in the end, wham orange fish. I initially had the light on 14 hours a day then after the orange began to take over I slowly reduced it to 12 and now it is 10 a day.

This is why when I bought the panda I didn't look for any orange on it. Of course this won't guarantee that he won't but it increases the odds.

Ranchugirl told me that if any orange on the pandas is seen you can bet in the end it'll be a orange fish.  Just a little fyi. 

417211[/snapback]

lol ok so im gonna have a white and orange oranda then! :D

Ah, well. It'll be worth it even if it only stays that color for a little while; I'll just make sure to take tons of pics while the fish is still a panda.

I can't wait; new fish are always so fun. Thinking about getting one this weekend is certainly helping me get through the week. I only hope if I get that panda, the fin will heal without difficulty.

Got my fish tonight! got him two hours ago, just moved him into the big tank. He's not the one I origonally intended to get; that one was gone. I wasn't sure if I should get him or not he had some orange under the scales and didn't seem too active. I put my finger near the tank and moved it, and he followed it. I didn't see any parasites or any bad symptoms, so I got him. (While the employee was getting him, he got really active, hoping for food so I was happy about that.)

Got him home with no problems and aclimated him in a bucket mixed with our water and his for about 20 minutes, then added him to the 20 gal. I've got the lights on in my gecko terrerium which is across from his tank, so there wasn't alot of light but enough for him to see. I salted the tank to help reduce stress, and turned the filter on low. Now I just have too wait, watch, and hope everything goes well. I haven't feed him, (I will tommorrow) save for a couple of baby shrimp when he was in the bucket. (It was quite funny to watch him; his wen makes it a little hard for him to see the food.) Do you think there is anything else I can do to help reduce stress? I plan on adding pics tommorrow in the photo gallery if I have time.

there is not much else you need to do, just keep the lights off until tomorrow. That is what I would do. :D

Congrats! Cant wait to see your new fishie!!!So did you get a panda?

No, I didn't really QT him, since he's going to have that 20 gal all to himself, and he's alone in there, I didn't think it was nessacary to. Should I have? I didn't think it would matter since I wouldn't be adding him to an already populated/established.

Yeah, I got a panda, but I can see some yellow under his scales, but oh well.

I kept checking on him last night, he seemed to be very calm. Today though, he started darting around the tank. I'm hopeing he's just scared and doesn't have something like flukes. I peeked at him from around his door so he didn't see me, and he acted normal, so I'm thinking I just need to move like molassas around him.

I tried to give him some food, but he didn't notice it. I left the filter off for a bit, to give him a chance to eat something.

I'll attempt a picture.

Okay, I jsut tried to upload, but my I'm having problems. I'll try again later, if, this next try doesn't work.

I believe the params are good, but I'll check them today. However, I'm pretty sure he's jsut scared. Once I turn the lights in the room off at night, he goes right to sleep and calms down. Today he is being very good; my dad even came into look at him and he came over to the glass. I was in my room on the computer this morning and he did fine. He's eating today; I'm hoping soon he'll associate me with food.

Urg, just tried to upload the pic, and it's not working. I'll try again and then try puting it into my photobucket account.

Archived