Euh

x-Lucy-Fish-x

I dont want anyone to think I agree with what the website is saying cause I'm not at all but I dont think they mean you can keep them like that as pets. I think its more like if you want to keep them as feeder fish, you know to actually feed them to pets. They have a page just for fancy goldfish too and it may not be all correct info but its way better then what they are saying about the feeder fish.

silver8328, I agree. Those conditions would only be temporary, it just wouldn't be possible for people that feed feeders to other fish to keep them in 10-20 gallon tanks each. Still, being that I keep some "feeders" as pets its like, oh no...my poor babies, that could have been them...

I agree with Nichjake and Silver. It's just a sad fact that some big animals have a to feed on smaller animals to remain healthy.

I think I've read of some people on here feeding their pets "pinkies"/ infant mice. It's no different.

Doh. :(

I think I've read of some people on here feeding their pets "pinkies"/ infant mice. It's no different.

416640[/snapback]

Eek. I saw someone purchasing some of those at this reptile store the other week :yikes:blink:

yea i know.. but.. arent there laws about treating an animal right before you feed it.. like it illegal to abuse an animal just because it is going to be fed to something.. like battery chickens! they are battery fish!

i think im going to far into breaking the rules here?

Elmers is usually one of the best stores locally for goldfish, a friend of mine goes there quite often, and she is used to buying fish from Goldfishconnection before the business moved, so she doesn't get just any fish.

I think the stores just keeps those feeder fish in those conditions, since they are intended for just that purpose - feeding to other predatory fish and reptiles. Unfortunately, but can't be changed.... :(

:exactly I have been to Elmer's and have seen the Feeder Fish tanks. It's unfortunate,but most of those fish are bought up quickly to become a meal for another animal. Kind of sad,but it is the way of life. Their tanks aren't nearly as stocked as I see at some well known places,and are actually somewhat cleaner.

Well, I kinda agree on the other side. Feeder fish are feeder fish. They can't be kept in the "per gallon" thing we go by for our pets! I think the tank needs to be clean......mostly because I don't want to feed unsafe fish to my fish!

Really live food is VERY good for fish to eat!! I even think that "the hunt" stimulates them & gives them something to do!! :blink:

It may not be pretty, but it is life!

yeah and I noticed on the site too that it tells people how to take care of them...like if they are sluggish it tells you what to do. But its true, they are not meant as pets, not meant to grow up, they are meant and breed for food purposes so I do not think there is a problem with the info that is given. Its life.

yea i know.. but.. arent there laws about treating an animal right before you feed it.. like it illegal to abuse an animal just because it is going to be fed to something.. like battery chickens! they are battery fish!

i think im going to far into breaking the rules here?

416968[/snapback]

Lucy, even thou it is not illegal in Uk, it is very, very rare, so at least that?s a bonus eh?

on battery chicken side, the government should have a legislation in place on that in the next few years to phase it out and ban, all chicken farms will be barn & free range.

I'll stop now before i go to far into breaking the rules :ignore

Their tanks aren't nearly as stocked as I see at some well known places,and are actually somewhat cleaner.

I know what you're saying Devs, I've seen feeders at mmm that were packed in so tightly they literally couldn't move without bumping into another fish. It's terrible, even thought they are feeders and meant to be foos they should at least have enough space to move without stepping on someones fins...to keep them healthy if for nothing else.

mmm's other fish are always healthy looking and lovely :)

on battery chicken side, the government should have a legislation in place on that in the next few years to phase it out and ban, all chicken farms will be barn & free range.

417125[/snapback]

exactly.. so if they are making battery chickens illegal, why cant they make battery fish illegal..

they are now starting to give chickens the space they need to be healthy, why do you all think its ok for fish to be so crowded they are unhealthy?

ok chickens have a longer life than fish before they are eaten.. but its still a life for the fish. id of though you guys would understand that?

Hmmm, interesting. This is in Europe right? I hope they don't do that in the states. If and when they do this, expect the price of eggs to skyrocket. It's good for the animals but how much do you know about the industry? Broilers (the chickens we eat) are raised in barns without cages, being able to move is key to the chicken developing properly.

Laying hens are kept in cages though. They spend their life in a cage which I think is aweful but its the industry. If the chickens were allowed to roam, egg production would go down and the capacity to keep the hens would also go down. Decreased egg production and decreased numbers of chickens would be a double whammy to our pockets. It is just not economically sound for companies that raise laying hens to even have the birds if they can only have about a tenth of the birds they currently have without building a huge new muti-million dollar facility.

In the short, the price of eggs would go the way of gasoline here in the states...so high priced that people can't afford it so many stop using it and search for alternatives. A change like that could be detrimental to the laying hen industry which would have economic repurcussions in every market that even remotally has anything to do with eggs.

Stuff like this sucks, but its life. Tough cookies.

yup. The cage-free eggs are more than double the price of regular eggs. .79 for reg, 1.99 for cage-free.

Really live food is VERY good for fish to eat!!  I even think that "the hunt" stimulates them & gives them something to do!! :blink:

It may not be pretty, but it is life!

417048[/snapback]

That is a very good point, Jeana727!!

Actually, and some may take offense to this so I appoligise in advance......but it is kinda funny to watch my big ole fat Oranda try to catch a fast skinny feeder fish!!

When I get feeders I put in about 10....a few disappear pretty quick buy there's always one or two that last several days!

• Supporter

My feeder fish story:

I bought 6 feeder fish when I was 10 years old, started them in a smnall goldfish bowl, thenmoved them to a 10 gallon tank (I know you're all cringing). I knew very little about goldfish, obviously! I changed ALL the tank water every week including washing the gravel! All I had was an undergravel filter! There was no aeration! I fed them floating, unsoaked flakes.

Well, these "feeder' fish lived in that 10 gallon tank for 6 years (one of them died after 4), and got HUGE, like 8" or so. I ended up giving them to a woman who had a fish pond, and they lived in her pond for another 4 years until a neighbor cat started picking them off. Those feeder fish were a hardy bunch, and although I knew nothing about how to care for them, they hung in there somehow. I loved them, maybe that counted for something? LOL, I think I was just really lucky. Now that I am starting over with goldfish, I am glad to know how to keep them healthy and happy. If I don't get JP27's fish I think I am going to get a black moor and a calico fantail, or maybe a red cap oranda. But "feeders" are ok in my book as well. I have no problem with them being fed to other fish, that is nature, but they should be given dignity and care while they are alive! :-)

Archived