Getting Big Tank

nichjake

I'm getting a 30 gallon tank to put my three goldies in. The problem is the goldies are soo tiny, the tank is going to look too empty and tempt me to buy another goldie or two which I really shouldn't do.

What else can I put in the tank to make it seem less like a waste of space? I really want a snail but thats going to wait another month or so. I'd like to get some ghost shrimp and a loach.

Can those go together and what type of loach is best?

How many ghost shrimp can I get?

Do loaches and shrimp have special needs/foods that I need to get them?

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I'm going to get some live plants soon although I'm almost afriad to because I don't want snail eggs and I won't have a good place to quarentein them, my old tank has been promised to my roomates hampster who is in a teensie insy little cage. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also I don't want a pleco...I just don't care for them all that much anymore

Congrats on getting a bigger size tank.Your Goldies will love you for it.As tempting and as empty as it may seem when set up,you'll be so surprised at how fast they can grow in the right conditions.I had an Oranda grow to almost 8 inches in a little over a year! :o Forget the ghost shrimp cause once your goldies are big enough,they'll eat them if they catch them.You can add a couple of Weather(Dojo loaches) if you'd like.They are a blast to watch,and they like company so you want to get at least 2. have hidey holes/plants that they can hide under. I wouldn't buy them though until your new tank is completely cycled. :) I have one 30 gal.that I put 3 baby Oranda's in (the one I mentioned) when they were only 12 weeks old.You talk about an empty looking tank! :o Now when you look in there all you see are these three big fat orange fish who are outgrowing this tank. :lol: You can consider a Bristlenose too.They're great for keeping the algae in check.Also not something to get until the tank is established.Well,at least I've given you something to think about.Good luck,and post pics when you set it all up.

Hi and congrats on the tank!!

I don't know if you should add other fish to the tank, but I'd try and put plants in. That way, it sort of bulks out the space so it doesn't look empty. Plus the plants will definitely help to maintain good water quality if you become overstocked. (We ALL eventually get overstocked :) )

Slugger :)

Archived