Thanks Guys

mayvan

hey everyone

i've just registered as a new memeber on here because i cant express enough what a goldmine of information this site is :D

i am such a total newbie to goldfish keeping that i havent even got any equipment yet, but i'm reading up on it as much as i can before i spend any money on stuff only for my propsed new fishies to die from my ignorance.

anyhoo, as a complete newbie with regards to fish keeping i would wlcome any advice on anything to do with it, including tanks, filters, cycling etc etc, as i have now read soo much i'm a bit confused :huh:

thanks in advance

mayvan xxx

Hi there mayvan & :welcome

Well then, where to start :D i guess u have read a lot of stuff in this website & forum so i just give u some starting tips.

1. Get a tank that's more than 20 gallon or the biggest one u can afford. Bigger tanks gives u more margin for error & more forgiving. It's also not a lot more work than smaller tanks, maybe even less.

2. Fantails are great starting fish ;)

3. U can never give too much oxygen/aeration. More dissolved oxygen means happier fish :D

that's all i can think about for now i think.

other members will surely add up with more tips

good luck mate B)

thanks guys :)

hmm for some reason this has listed me as male :huh:

i am a girl tho, i'm sure i changed that when registered, oh well

not that it make much difference but i uess you guys would like to know who you're talking to :)

love

mayvan xx

Yeah, bigger tank are best because they can support more fish and keeping goldfish is addicting, you'll want as much room for fish as you can get. Every time I go to the store I have to look at the fish and there is almost always a fish I want, thank goodness I'm getting a bigger tank today...I've gotten a couple too many fish and now they need more space. :D

:welcome

i think thats a great idea lucy

how about this??

Hello and Welcome to KOKO's

For all your goldfish needs

You can find advice on everything

from cycling to feeds

if your tank is having problems,

there's no need to worry

the lovely people at KOKO's

will help you in a hurry

theres fishy friends from all over the world

and good advice on here

to keep our fishies healthy and fit

so they can fill us full of cheer

whether you're a newbie or an expert

you can find advice real fast

and if theres anything you need to know

don't be afraid to ask

ta da!!!!

i'm quite pleased with that :)

what do you lot think :)

love

mayvan xx

Oh my goodness that is terrific!! How fun!!

Well Welcome to Koko's!! Glad you found this site early on in your fishkeeping adventures. Your fish will be glad too!! Many of us found this site after running into some difficulties. So congrats on the good start.

I agree with the others so far. Tank size is important. Fancy goldfish need 10 gallons per fish. Common and commets need 15-20 gallons per fish because they grow longer and are faster swimmers. But like mentioned above if you can afford it get something bigger than a 10 gallon if you can because 1 fish is never enough! (Or sometimes 2 or 3 or 4 :) )

Learn about cycling. It's all kinda confusing to read about but there are a lot of people on this site who are very knowledgable and will help you through it. I think many recommend a fishless cycle. I unfortunately didn't know about hte whole cycling thing and jsut threw my fish in. Somehow, my fantail survived.

Which brings me to my next point. As d_golem suggested fantails are great starter fish. Very hardy and beautiful. Fantails always get my vote when someone is looking for a new fish!

As far as filters go, you'll want to have 10Xs filtration--so if you ahve a 10 gallon tank you'll wnat a filter that filters 100 gallons per hour, a 20 gallon tank needs 200 gph, etc. Hang on back filters are very popular. Once you get into some of the bigger tank sizes, you may want to look into canister filters which are very efficient. You may want to decide on a tank size that you think you'd like to have and then ask for suggestions on specific brands/types.

Good luck and once again Welcome!! Also be prepared to become addicted!!

Guest Fisherman

:yeah:

Welcome to this site. It's great and there a alot of frendly helpful people here.

I'm new to goldfish, although I've raised tropicals for a long time. I would recommend that you read and make sure that you understand the information at this site titled "Fishless cycling". For some reason not many people use this method to cycle the tank. In fact, I've had tropicals for more than 45 years and not once have I run into fishless cycling until I got to this site.

Good luck and please ask as many questions as possible.

Wow! That was superb! What a newbie! :welcome Three cheers for mayvan! :flowerss (we gotta get that pinned somewhere!)

Well, Fantail and everyone have given the spiel so I will only add to check out the links on the main page of Kokos on the left side of the page - I think you already have :teehee - and get the biggest tank you can because you will become addicted! :exactly

I have not done a fish less cyle but I plan to try it when I upgrade after X-mas. A lot of people here have done it successfuly, hopefully they can come with advice form experience. Also, several of the breeders I have spoken to recommend it - unless you don't mind having a second smaller tank of tropicals when you are done! :lol:

tee hee

thanks guys

its great here

i've learned so much

now all i have to do is to put what i need on my xmas list

if theres anyone in or near glasgow thats getting rid of any equipment let me know

i cant wait to get started :D

Archived