Help

Jeana727

I will do all the tests asap but I just noticed a problem with my Ryukin this morning. He is sitting on the bottom (like in a resting position) towards the back of the tank. It seems like his scales are more pronounced on the lower half, especially his belly. And he appears fatter (swollen?).....like he has been filled with air. But he IS NOT floaty. He is just resting on the bottom. His fins aren't clamped & the dorsal fin is up.

I am gonna do some tests & maybe a water change. Any advice is appreciated!!

Hi Jeana - is there any chance of a picture? Also, once you know your parameters, please post them.

Also, I think a 50% waterchange is a good idea.

How often do you do them?

What kind of filter are you running?

Any other symptoms such as stringy poop?

Any new additions/plants?

When you say bloated, does it look like he's pineconing? Or do his scales still lay flat against his body?

Please post back soon :)

I will try to answer all the questions!

Ammonia 0ppm

Nitrite 0ppm

Ph 7.8

Hi Range Ph 7.9

I do not have a nitrate test yet :(

Tank size is 30 gals.

Two filters one is Aquatech the other unknown (but they are HOB)

4 goldies in the tank : oranda 4 inches, ryukin (the sick one) 2 to 2 1/2 ", ryukin 1 1/2 and a fantail 1 " and 3 albino cory cats

I do 25-35% water change weekly

Only additive I use is Chlor-Out when I add water.

No "grains of salt"....no blood streaks on fins........but the affected fish looks Fat (bloated) and scales are More Noticable...maybe sticking out a bit ...kinda of pinecone-ish.

I dropped in a couple of pellets of MetroMed incase it's a parasite...that's really all I have.(I have a little Medigold)

I did a big water change. I noticed that where I have "anchored" a couple of plants inside of terra cotta pots there was "gunky water". Also the plants I have I grew from those little packs of "pods" you find at nnnnnn fish department. I found two that where still attached to the pod & I pulled off the pod. When I took them out of the water there was a rottenish smell So i made sure no more "pods" are in there all of the plants have regular roots now

I don't know if all this is the cause but i am trying to give all the info I can think of. I know I have heard of the "pinecone" look before but can't think of what it is.

None of the other fish seem affected (I hope)

The affected fish is swimming A LITTLE since I disturbed everything but still not active like usual. He looks like he needs "some air let out"

He looks like a golf ball & a pine cone mixed together. I swear he looks just like if you put a tube in him and filled him with air. But, again, he IS NOT floaty.......he even seems to prefer sitting on the bottom....kind of making his fins be like a tripod.

Verry sorry to hear about ur ryukin, jeana. I think it's dropsy but someone more experienced may be able to help u out as i'm inexperienced in treating diseases.

best of luck to ur ryukin

Ammonia Level (ppm):0ppm

Ammonia tester used:

Nitrite (ppm):0ppm

Nitrate(ppm):I don't have a test for it

Are you testing with dipsticks?:test tubes & drops

pH Level:7.8

Temperature: I think 78 (broke it THIS MORNING!!)

Heater (yes/no):No

-If YES type

Aeration:bubble wall & two HOB filters

Water change amount/frequency:Usuall 20-30% weekly Once a month 50-6o%

Tank size:30 gallons

How long has the tank has been in operation:at least a year

Type of Filtration:1 regent & 1 primo (both HOB)

Water additives/conditioners/pH adjusters:Clor Out & Aquasafe

What, how much and how often is your Goldfish fed:twice daily..pinch each flakes, crumbles & floating pellets & 2 sinking pellets

Tank inhabitants (number, size and type of fish/other aquatic pets):4 goldies & 3 albino cories Red Oranda 3-4 inch, Ryukin 2-2 1/2 inch, Ryukin 2 inch, Fantail 1 inch

New additions/changes to the tank:none

Unusual findings on the Goldfish:looks swollen & scales poke a bit out like pinecone. He looks uncomfortable. Looks like you filled him with air....but he's not floaty

Unusual behavior:Mostly sitting at back corner of tank, just hovering near bottom sometimes sitting like a tripod on his fins.

Medications/what has been tried or done do far:Added some aquarium Salt & a few Metro-med pellets (don't know if he ate any

Sounds like dropsy, hon. Dropsy is said to be terminal. It is the result of mutiple bacterial infections inside your fish (I believe, please correct me if Im wrong) and the only chance you have is to feed him some medicated food. Topical treatments will not work...you need the food. Hopefully someone here can recommend a good brand, since I myself have never had to use it I dont know.

Fish can get dropsy even if they are well taken care of. Sometimes stuff like that just happens.

Even if he does survive he will never be as strong again and will be likely to get dropsy or an internal bacterial infection again.

Like I said though, I have no personal exp. with this, and I am reciting only what I have read, so maybe someone here with some personal exp. can offer you some advice.

I wish the best for your fishy.

Jeana - if it's a prominent pineconing then there is a pinned thread for dropsy as gia said so if you can, try to follow that to the letter.

It will be hard but some fish have been known to pull through with special care.

Can you get any medicated food? And Maracyn I and II? You can also add 1/8 teaspoon of epsom salt per 5 gallons.

Also, the water should be heated to about 80 degrees - is there any way you can buy a heater?

Here's the link - I hope it helps

Laurie's Dropsy Link

I hope he improves soon and my fingers are crossed.

How much aquarium salt did you add? When your fish has Dropsy,that is the last thing that you should be using. As Jen said, start medicating with food,get ahold of Epsom Salt/Maracyn,Maracyn II,and you also need a heater to raise those tank temps up to at least 80 degrees.Lauries post is definately a good one to follow for the directions of doing this. Good luck.

He is still swollen, he looks just pitiful....like someone filled him with air. He mostly sits in the corner. When I got home today my husband told me that he did not look very good. I looked in and i thought he was dead....he was in the corner but slumped over. Looking closely I saw he was breathing. I put some food in the tank & he swam around alittle. I am not sure if he ate or not.

I have used some medicated food but again not sure he ate any. My other fish are unaffected.

Oh he is right now swimming around but then goes back to his corner.

Oh yeah....he had what looked like a long whitish poo stringing along. it looked sort of white but kinda clear white

I am so worried about him......also Big Boy is in this tank :(

I do not know if he is suffering. If he gets worse I guess I should put him down. What is the best method for this?

Gosh, I wish he would get better, but i fear it is not looking good :(

Guest Takilong

have you got something to lower the acid lv in your tank.

from what i rember from sicence class 7.8 is real high it might be part of the problem.

from what i have read GF are very sentisitive to acid (All read here i am still some what new to the GF game)

Hope your little one gets better soon

How do I lower the Ph?

I hope I am not jumping the gun but my fish seems a little better. He is not staying in the corner. He is eating a little. I am hopeful.

Oh, he keeps doing these REAL long, clearish-white poos! (???)

Since I have other fish in the tank. Do I tear down the tank and sterlize everything? Just do a big water change? Aaahhhh what do I do? :crp

Archived