Panda Sucked Into Siphon

Guest Fryboy

I treated Panda with Maracyn for a week, did a 25% water change. Then, after noticing Panda looking pine-coned, I treated him with Maracyn-two. He no longer looks pine-coned. I noticed mucous like globs floating in the tank and some scales when I changed the water after the Maracyn-two (5 day treatment). The water was really milky and I couldn't see very well when I was siphoning the water out of the tank and next thing I knew, Panda was moving slowly up the vacuum tube. I panicked a little, but reversed the flow in-time to see him slide backward out of the tube. Some flesh is hanging near his right eye, it looks like the bubble around his eye (which I had taken for pop-eye) popped. The water in the tank is still a little milky, but I put a new carbon filter in when I did the water change.

Will watch Panda for a few days to see if he gets better, most likely he will lose what's left of the left side of his caudal fin. Wondcering if they grow back?

:( Poor Panda! He's had a rough time of it.His fins should grow back,although it may take a little while.In the meantime,it's very important to keep the water as pristene as possible to keep secondary infections from setting in.Hopefully the Maracyn treatments have done their job. Good luck with Panda! ;)

Thank you. I just changed the water again today after checking the params which were getting a little high on the ammonia test.

I am wondering if the rings around his eyes are supposed to be there even thought the right one popped.

His fins still seem a little pine-coned, but I think I will watch him for a week to see where he is at.

Archived