Easy Way To Dissolve Salt?

glitterfish

Glitter, what type of salt are you using?

I remember trying to use sea salt and that just took FOREVER to dissolve. I recently bought Aquarium Pharmaceuticals aquarium salt and it dissolves pretty fast :)

Hmm thats wierd, I'm pretty sure ours are the same thing.

I wouldn't add it to the filter, I'd be afraid all the salt crystals would slip thru. That's very strange tho that it doesn't dissolve overnight...hmm.....

Glitterfish, I use the same kind of salt your using and I have the same problem. It takes forever to dissolve. Even heating the water doesn't help much. I wonder if it has something to do with our water?

It takes forever for mine to dissolve too. The last time I used salt, I did just what Anic said....I let it sit for a while and stirred some, once it wasn't dissolving I just tipped the cup in and let what was melted go in the tank and then added more water, swished, poured, added more water....etc....

I'm not sure why it takes so long??!

Guest JustJayde

Hmn I use the doc's aquarium salt... and cold water. stir it for about 30 seconds and the salt is gone........ (1 teaspoon per gallon)

weird.

You could just dump the salt chunks directly in the tank. They'll dissolve really fast. You know, assuming your fish won't swim over and eat it. *cough* Glenn *cough* :D

I use Doc Wellfish's Aquarium Salt too and haven't really had trouble with it dissolving. I jsut stir for a minute or two and it's gone. Maybe it is something with your water but I don't think dumping it straight into the aquarium is recommended. May cause more trouble!!

hot water simple, then just add some cold water disolved in 2 secs

I have done that, I mean I have heated the water to boiling and the salt still takes forever to dissolve. I have put the salt in a bowl with water and put it in the microwave and it still did not fully dissolve. It's very weird.

I would be afraid to add the salt directly to the tank. If we can't get it to dissolve quickly in a cup then I doubt it will in the tank because it's the same water.

Well, its not the water,lol! Rock salt is just one of those things that takes forever to stir up. <_< Don't put it directly in the filter though as it will damage the bio bugs and give you fits, Or drop the chrystals in cause if the fish eat them it can burn there mouth's.

Guest thegoodkelly

I have a newly, half sorta cycled 20 gal long tank that I just put two little Ryukins in. I read about the stress of cycling and their swim bladder problems so I added 7 teaspoons of Doc's Aquarium Salt to the 1 gallon jug of dechlorinated water I have waiting for the first water change.

I shook it a little and didn't hear the crystals moving around. I was hoping they would dissolve on their own over the next 12 or so hours. The jug is not transparent so I can't see the crystals.

After reading this thread, i'm not sure what to do now. How can I be sure the salt is melted?

When I first did my 50 gallon, I did 50 teaspoons to get to 1%. Took FOREVER, but then my partner (who's a microbiologist) realised why. I was using too much salt in too little water (the volume of water used to melt the salt can only take so much salt before it stops melting easily), so now I do what Anic said: I use HOT water, stir for a bit, pour it into another container to cool, then do it again. It takes about 15 minutes. :)

Guest craig and beth
Im using Doc Wellfish's Aquarium Salt. I have an AquaCLear filter on the tank. Where exactly do I pour it for it to go in on its own?

416267[/snapback]

i use Doc Wellfish's Aquarium Salt, it is hard to dissolve!! i put the salt i need it a cup put tank water in it and stir till some is gone tip the water back in and repete till gone but that took me 20mins!!

if you have filter sponges you could put the salt between them so it wont clog the impeller!!

i do this with my interpet pf filter!

Ahh.. I have a 30 gallon so I was putting 30 teaspoons in a little bit of water. That probably explains it. Also, I thought you had to dissolve it in tank water so thats why I didnt use hot water. I did put the last dose in the side of the filter after it was suggested to me and worried about it but didnt notice whole salt getting through into the water. Next time I am going to do hot water though. Sounds a lot less stressful!! :lol:

Another easy way to get salt to dissolve is to put the salt into your fish dip net and place the dip net across one of the corners of your tank. The current from your filter will dissolve the salt very quickly and disperse it evenly though out the water in your tank.

Archived