Sickness In Guppy Tank...

atryeu

I figured there was some sort of sickness in my tank back during the summer when all but 1 female died (*sniff* my pretty fancy male died too). I added some salt to the tank and kept that going for about 2 months and there have been no problems. The surviving female seemed healthy. She was eating normally, swimming around and her poo was normal....

I moved 2 females from another tank to that one along with 5 fry (the other tank is going to be my QT tank and it hasn't finished cycling. I worried about the fry being in that water with the ammonia raising and lowering... I haven't seen any problems with the other tank this entire time, but last night my smallest female died and today I seen some white poo from my old female that's been in the tank all this time. One of the fry also had some white poo earlier.

I read white poo is normally a sign of an internal infection... Is that true?

There are no other signs I can really help with.... All this time they looked and acted very healthy. The two older females still are eating normally. The oldest is swimming around like she usually does and the other is semi-active, like she's been since I got her. The fry swim around without a care in the world and eat normally with every feeding.

Tank specs:

PH: 7.2 (low for a guppy, I know, but I acclimated them for quite sometime and they didn't seem to have problems)

Nitrite: .05 (normal... I think it's actually 0, but that's what the test has read for the last year or so.. ever since I got the test and the tank cycled -_- LoL)

Nitrate: 10 (it was 20 but seems to have lowered a bit).

Ammonia: 0

Temp: it stays between 75 and 80 F. There's no heater but the tank light keeps the water warm while it's on.

There have been no other fish in this tank other than guppies. The tank has been cycled for quite sometime and aside for moving the other adults and fry, nothing from other tanks has been moved to this one. I can't remember the other info normally needed for those sort of posts so I hope that's it!

I have one chance to get medication, possibly 2 if I can talk my mom into a ride uptown (a friend's birthday is the 2nd so I'm hoping to get a ride up to get a card at least -_-) Please let me know what medication I should get and I'll see if I can afford it! I've heard of the Maracyn 2 (and it was at mmm), but otherwise I know nothing of medications. I've only used an ich medication before.

Thanks!!

:unsure: What test kit are you using?It seems odd that all the other params test at different numbers,but that your Nitrites always test at .05-which by the way is not safe for any fish. Maybe it has always had a Nitrite reading since you started it.How much water do you change out and how often? Since the fish moved are the ones turning up with the white poo,and the one died,I'm going to assume that maybe it has something to do with your cycled tank.What were the readings on the tank that they came from?Was water temp/Ph the same? How did you switch them into the other tank to acclimate them?

It came in a kit of other tests (ph - high & low range and ammonia) by Fresh Labs. When the Nitrite raised in the tank while it cycled, it showed it up. Afterwards, it looks like it's .05 every single time, even with my fully cycled ADF tank o.0 I think it's just the test not showing the color correctly -_- It's supposed to be a light shade of green but to me it looks like the lighter shade of blue. They didn't setup the color very well. All other tests are accurate though o.0

Normally it's between around 20-25% I change out every weekend.. I've been doing that for the past few years :)

My original female that was alone in the tank did have the white poo before I moved the others to the tank.. That was in near the end of august and since then I have not seen it again until this morning. She has shown no signs of being sick :(

I did see one of the fry with white poo earlier today as well, but I have not seen any from the other adult female yet but I have been keeping an eye on her.

The temp was off in the two tanks by just a few degrees, but I acclimated them long enough... PH is the same.... Ammonia was around .25 (the tank hasn't cycled yet.. seems to be having trouble cycling -_- Ammonia won't drop below .25 and hasn't been above 1.0 yet.. no Nitrites still and it has been a full month o.0).

I rinsed out a container in hot water really well (no soap or anything), filled it with their tank water and fished them out with my net. I moved the container to my other tank and let it float for half an hour to let the water temp level out and added a dixie-cup full of water to the container after the first half hour and then 15-20 minutes after that for almost 90 minutes or so. I made sure I took my time :) I did the same for the fry.. I moved them to a container with their water from the breeding trap, rinsed out the breeding trap a little and placed it in the other tank. I let the temp level out and slowly added the other tank water to the container for the fry also.

It was in the afternoon, I remember, so my main 10 gallon would have been about 75 F and the other was just a few degrees higher.

I forgot to mention last night that I have seen my older adult guppy flashing for the last few days now.... I didn't know if it would help figure out what's going on or not but I thought I'd mention it.

Hi there! I hope somebody sees this and can reply ASAP!!!

Somebody recommened the Jungle Parasite Clear for my guppy tank. I read on the mmm website that it should not be used with young fry.... My fry are 3 weeks old on Sunday, are they to young to treat? What should I do? The infection is in that 10 gallon tank and I cannot move the fry anywhere else or it will infect another tank! If I move them and move them back after the treatment, they'll just reintroduce the infection back into the tank!

How do I do this? I am leaving uptown at 3pm on Saturday and this is my ONLY chance to get uptown for another month or two! This medication is not carried at Fred Meyer where my mom works and she will not go out of her way to drive further downtown to mmm or nooppee to get this for my fish after she's off work one day :(

I don't want to kill the fry. I want to treat the tank because of the fry, otherwise I would just clean out the tank to get rid of the infection and start everything over again :(

Are the babies acting sick? Maybe you can see if you can find another parasite med without those active ingrediants? I have no idea about the ages, but if they are acting sick, they might not make it without meds either. If they are acting okay, maybe you can keep them in a large container like a bucket or something (since they are so small) while you medicate. I don't know ._.

All the fishies are acting normal but one (the female that gave birth... she just sits around the bottom hiding most of the time)....

I mentioned earlier in the post about the white poo.. Somebody else said if it is stringy there's an infection of some sort... I have been seeing poo that looks like a little clear casing with nothing inside for the last couple months from my one adult...

The fry seem okay, but if there is in infection in the tank, I would have to remove some of the tank water to move them to another container and add that same infected tank water back to get them out. They are still kinda small and my net is way to big so I'd need to use a little dixie cup -_- LoL That was my main problem...

About the medication, I did look around online earlier but I don't know anything about it or what I need to be looking for :( That's why I started the topic *sniff* Aside for ich med. I've never messed with anything before o.0

Sorry you weren't able to get the medication. I have found Parasite Clear to be an excellent med and I have used it on young mollies without problem.

How big are your guppies (length-wise)?

Also, you could try a medicated food. There are medicated foods available now at fish and pet stores. Jungle makes both a parasite and a bacterial medicated food.

How do your fish seem today?

All but the one female that gave birth is still acting normal... *blushes* I sorta overslept by about 3 hours so I'm just waking up -_- I've fed my fishes already and had to hop online to check messages LoL.

The problem with the medicated food is that my fish don't eat all their food. Half of it they'll grab they spit back out -_- LoL I figured something like that would just be a waste of money if they don't eat half their food.

You've used it with fry before and they were fine? I wonder why it says not to use it with fry in the tank o.0 Mine are 3 weeks old today.. I don't have a clue how long their are or how to measure a fish that small in the water o.0 They are definatly under 1 inch still... half inch maybe? I'm not sure -_-

Off topic, but has anybody noticed these boards have been lagging really really bad? I noticed it yesterday morning and again a bit ago. They take forever to load and the board didn't send me an email after you replied to this topic o.0 LoL

I've noticed occasional lagging too. Sometimes you don't get messages saying there were replies...I fixed the problem by checking the box in my preferences so now instead of getting 1 message for each board and occasionally missing a few, I get a message for every reply and I never miss any. Very full inbox, but I think its worht it.

LoL Kissy :) I bookmark the boards so I can check easily, but on certain ones, like this and a few others from the past I set for immediate reply as well. Weird that I was getting the emails o.0

Just fed my little fry :D I'm still feeding them that "Newborn Fry" food from Hikari and I've been giving them a little crushed flakes a few times during the day. They seem to be having problems with some of the flakes still though. I can't get them crushed small enough -_-

Uhm.... LoL The board sent me an email saying at 6:31am PST this morning ( Nov. 2nd) touchofsky replied to this topic o.0

Hmm, while here, I might as well update....

My fishy that gave birth was swimming around a bit more yesterday but she still sort of keeps to herself at the bottom of the tank. I haven't noticed the adults flashing (they may be while I'm not looking though). I have seen at least 3 different fry flashing though (yay! they are 3 1/2 weeks old!). They are still in the breeding trap right now and I make sure the bottom stays clean of leftover food each day. Will be testing the water again friday or saturday but last weekend there were no traces of ammonia and nitrite read .05 as usual....

LoL! Oh, okay :) The board had me wondering :P

A couple fry are flashing, and I see some white stringy poo still. The older adult female is doing okay it seems though, and the one that had the fry was swimming around a bit more it seemed. :)

• 2 weeks later...

*sigh* I did the half dose treatment (half a tablet) and finished the 2nd dose on Monday. I will be doing a small water change in the morning since the power was out here today and I couldn't do one -_-

Last night, I noticed 3 of the adult fish flashing quite a bit still. None of the fry were flashing that I seen though. I have't had the chance to check yet today, but I am going to be heading off and will sit in front of the tank for awhile and watch them closely again tonight.

I used a small magnifying glass to look over my oldest female that was flashing the most last night. As far as I can tell, there are no signs of external parasites on her. I did see a small colored spot on her dorsal fin that I haven't seen without the magnifying glass before, but it looks more like just a bit of colored fin. I think she's a fancy female guppy (her body color has always been a bit more of a goldish grey rather than the plain grey.. She's more brightly colored than the regular feeder guppy females you normally see).

On my largest male earlier today, I seen what looked like an anchor worm. It was just a bit longer than his entire body. Within the half hour, it was gone and another appeared shortly after. I have not seen any sign of this on any other fish in that tank though.

Any other ideas what is going on? Should I continue with the medication if that's an anchor worm I seen? It's that Jungle Parasite Clear, and it says for anchor worms and fish live, to use a tablet once a week for 3 weeks. Should I do another treatment next Monday or not?

Also, should I add a little salt to the tank? Since the fry are all doing okay, and there is bound to be more fry, I figured I'd keep the tank a species only tank for now, especially since something is going on in there.

I will be testing the ammonia in the water in the morning again, just in case the medication raised it a bit, but I don't think it did.

Oh, my larger male fry is getting his coloring, and he seems to be some sort of wild guppy, like the other males I have :) Very pretty!

Turns out, those things were not anchor worms, according to what I've read. Somebody else said it was stringy poo, but I don't know if that's what it was or not o.0

The same person said I should go ahead and continue the treatment with Parasite Clear, so I wanted to ask for advice here, since I know some of you guys a bit better :)

On the box, it said to do 2 doses with 48 hours in between, and a 25% water change after the first 48 hours and again after the 2nd dose. It says nothing about repeating if things do not clear up.

Should I continue with the half a tablet doses every 48 hours for a few more days? The package had 8 tablets so there's enough for more treatments if I need them. Any further info is appreciated! I don't want to lose my guppies :(

Lol, Jen, I'm in the same boat as you with my new goldies and just asked a similar question less than an hour ago. I know answers could be different for both of use, but I hope all goes well for you! Go with the first dose tonight, some one should answer by the time you need to worry about dosing a second time.

LoL I hope your goldies are okay :( I was thinking the other day about my old ones. I really miss my big one *sniff* I don't know if I could ever get another though. So hard to keep things clean in such a small tank, and I could never afford something larger o.0

Somebody on the other forum replied (heh, it's mostly a forum for the frogs, but I thought I'd ask about the guppy problem in their fish illness section as well)... They said basicly the same thing.. Do another round of treatment.

I'll wait until tomorrow morning though. I let my other male fry out into the main tank and I thought it'd be nice to give him a chance to get used to the current, feedings and get to know the tank first LoL Poor little guy!

Thanks for the reply Kissy :) Hope all your fishies are doing well!

They are behaving like usual still. I didn't get as much time to sit and watch them yesterday since I had to get ready to leave. I wasn't home until 2:30am and went straight to bed -_- They are still eating normally and spitting out half the flakes LoL... I still see a few flashing now and then and I've been seeing the stringy poo. It hasn't been quite as bad as it was it seems, but it's still going on :(

They look the same as they did before this started LoL.. My older adult female I have is definatly nice and plump, the other adult female that had the fry is all scrawny looking still and the spine is slightly crooked now (it wasn't when I first got her, so I thought it happened during birth). The males and fry look fine physically. The 3 female fry are rather small still compared to the 2 male fry, but otherwise they look in good health.

*sigh* I just seen more stringy poo :(

The adult female with the bent spine is getting old. I have found that older females often start to look like that.

I would follow through on the round of PC. I would also try to introduce some other foods to them. I have found that guppies love freeze dried tubifex. This comes in little cubes. I break off a small portion of the cube and then stick it to the glass inside the aquarium. The guppies will soon catch on to this and they love that. They may be spitting out some of the flakes because they don't like them. You could also try a micro pellet for tropicals.

I would also feed them several small meals per day. See if adding a variety of foods to their diets helps.

I read about the age thing as well and wondered about it. She was full grown when I bought her (I figured, since that was the largest guppy in the tank and mixed in with little ones, her immune system was hopefully stronger than the others so if there was anything sick in there [non of them showed signs of sickness while in my "QT" tank, yay! LoL] that she wouldn't have caught it.

About the food... I only have the flakes right now... I do have some freeze-dried bloodworms I have tried to crumble up for them, but they didn't seem much interested. I have the frozen bloodworms as well for my ADFs. I've dropped one in before. They pick at it a little but as soon as it sunk they left it alone. LoL

I was feeding them a small pinch of crushed flakes 2 times a day. I released the other small male fry the other day, and he's a bit smaller then the other male fry, so I've been adding a little bit of the fry food by Hikari (First Bites). My largest male will go around and eat the little specks and grab larger clumps of this LoL I've been adding a bit of that in along with the morning/night feedings and 2 or 3 times throughout the day as well.

Grr, power was out for 3 hours last night. It seems to have done something to my filter in my ADF tank!! Doesn't sound like the motor is working now *sniff* and I cannot afford another :(

Archived