Shoving And Nudging

gumbo

I QTed Joey for 5 weeks and tried my best to get rid of his/her frayed fins. They got better but not 100%. Still I put Joey( oranda) in with Gumbo (black moore) in the 20 gallon tank, praying that they would get along! But, GUmbo is shoving and nudging JOey a lot, and even pressing her against the wall. :angry: I have suspicions that Joey might be a girl bc she has an outtie rear end :unsure: and bc of Gumbo's constant shoving and sometimes going up JOey's backside. I don't know if it's bc of that or he is jealous; or they are both males and don't get along?? But whatever it is I don't like it! Do you think they might get use to eachother? Should I just seperate them? I really feel like its too aggressive and they are not happy, but my mom thinks he is just flirting. Any suggestions? I have a cycled ten gallon ready to put joey in, if I should seperate. Thanks a lot! :heart

I just tonite had to move my chocolate telescope to a cycled 5 gallon for the same reason. I had him in the 50 gallon, where he picked on Desi and Bette. That same day, I moved him to the 35 gallon (this was about 4 weeks ago) where he SEEMED to get along with Golda and Meir just fine. In the last few days - I've noticed the chocolate telescope "bullying" Golda pretty badly, and when I came home today, Golda was laying in the back of the tank on the gravel, and one of the frogs was eating on her fins. I IMMEDIATLY removed Palmer (the telescope) and called a friend that has a newly cycled 46 gallon tank and will take him tomorrow nite. So he'll only be in the 5 gallon for 24 hours.

Golda has a BUNCH of messed up scales from where Palmer was mouthing her, and her fin in the back is chewed up from the frog. I guess from when she was laying on the gravel.

Within a half hour of removing Palmer and adding Melafix, she's out swimming about and has perked right up. We're going to add some salt just to be on the safe side.

This sucks, becasue I REALLY liked that fish and didnt want to get rid of him, but danged if I'm going to let him kill the fish i've had for a few years!

I wish I knew what causes this aggressive behavior.

Seperate them if you can Gumbo, dont take a chance!!

Ok, yeah I think I am going to move Joey back into the ten gallon, just because it will drive me crazy if they are always fighting. This isn't going to be too much stress for him/her is it?

I have another question off topic. My mom bought this tiny avalogne shells from a store, they are completely clean from what it seems. Is it ok for me to put them into the tank?

Thanks again.

Alright I changed my mind again. I have no idea what to do. I really don't think GUmbo is doing enough shoving to really hurt Joey. It's just the he has had this 20 gallon tank to himself for 6 weeks and he's just not use to sharing. So he will get really irritated and angry with her, especially when it comes to feeding. Is there anyway that they will eventually get along and get use to eachother? Has anybodys fish changed behavior after a given amount of time? I got Joey so he could have a buddy, but he hates his buddy :(

I really wanted to use that 10 gallon for my guppy fry and I really don't want to have to buy ANOTHER tank! Decisions decisions, whatever will I do :(

I have heard of this problem before when one fish had the run of the tank & new fish were added.One thing that you may want to try is rearranging the tank,so it looks different for the fish that was there first.I have also heard a few people say that they took the fish out of the main tank for a few days,and then reintroduced them.Some said these things work-some said they didn't.I figure that maybe it's worth giving it a shot.Who knows????It may do the trick. I have never had that problem to give you my own experience. Good Luck!!! ;)

Ok I am trying the putting him into another tank for a few days method. I feel so bad taking him away from his home:( But in the long run it will be worth it. I really hope this works!! Thanks for the suggestions.

Does anyone know about the shells I posted about before?

Archived