Please Help.

Guest windy

I'm really new to keeping goldfish and my daughter loves them but i bought some fish to start the new tank we have. A little black fish (i think it's a molly) with a fan tail has a white fluffy growth on it's mouth. I have three other fish in the tank which are or seem to be very healthy. I don't have a clue as to whether the molly is going to infect the other fish or if he is going to be ill. He seems very happy in himself but I could really do with some help with this problem. PLease could someone give the advice i seek?

Is it a black moor you have? As mollies are tropical fish and need to be in a heated tank.

Mouth fungus can easily be treated with anti fungal remedies from the pet store.

I think it is a black moor, Sorry, but that goes to show how new i am at this.. I don't have any photo's as i don't have a digital camera. It's a little chunky black fish with pop out eyes and two tails, the other fish are 1 multicoloured, 2 like the black one but gold and his eyes are on top of his head (looks a bit like a hammerhead fish) and 3 a lovely normal goldfish.

But if you think it sounds like a fungus i'll get something from the pet shop. Thanks for your time and help. Many Thanks Ian and Miriam.

What size of tank are they in?

Being new to this and like all of us do we listen to the pet shop boys _pun intended_ and most of the time they are only after money and the hope that when your fish die you will be back for more.

Fancy tailed fish need a minimum of 10 gallons per fish and common goldies 15 with filtration 10 times the tank.

The fish are in a biorb 60 litre. I'm wondering if this is big enough now you said about the amount of gallons they need. They are only little fish at the moment, about 2 inches long at most. I picked up the fungus additive for the tank and hope this is going to do the job. Thanks again everyone for your concerns and help.

• 2 months later...

I wonder if you put any decorations in the tank that are not specifically for fish. I put some bamboo in once thinking it would look nice in there and my 2 fish got cotton-wool disease (I think thats the fungus name). :unsure:

So you have like 4 fish in apx 15 gallons?

That is very over stocked and from what I have heard, the biorbs have inadequate filtration.

I know the pictures of the set up look like you can hold tons of fish in there, but you can't. :(

You might want to consider setting up a much larger tank for the fish you have and use this biorb for something small that will stay small ...and a little more hardy.

windy: I hope you don't feel put off, Fish keeping is one of the best hobbies that anyone can have. I like to blame the pet stores for most of the bad information that i had when starting out in fish keeping. But believe me, if you can afford to up grade to a tank that has ample room (10 gals per fancy fish 20gals per common) then i'll love the benefit that their happiness will bring you.

If you can't afford a new tank set up then large plastic storage containers are better then a cramped and over crowed tank.

Best of luck and let us know how your getting on.

Archived