Do Goldfish Prefer Lots Of Swimming Room ?

PaNdeM0niuM

my goldfish spend most of the time on one side of the tank ....

they never go to the other side of the tank and spend most time in one half of the tank.

I noticed the side they spend most of the time, is the side where I drop all the food.

also, the side they don't swim in, is where the filter is

Question: do they spend most of their time on this side of the tank because they are anticipating food ??? or they are scared of the filter ??

also, my tank has a decoration in the middle of the tank - it takes up alot of room and covers most of the gravel.

It reduces the swimming space on the bottom.

question: if I re-arrange the tank and decorate it differently (so their is more swimming space), will the goldfish be more inclined to venture out and swim to the other side of the tank

probably anticipating food.....re: tank decor......im no expert but have been reading alot about keeping show quality ranchu ( tvr & svr ) and they are kept with no decor at all , plus recommended 100l per fish ! :blink: . I started off with plants . bogwood rock but am now starting to simplify me set up totally .

fishes.jpg

I have found that the fish much prefer more swimming space and also their growth rate has improved. IMO

wow !!

that's a gorgeous setup !!!!

just be careful to reguarly lift and move those rocks.....because uneaten food and poo will accumulate underneath and inbetween.

anyways.

back to the topic.

I re-arranged the tank, and when I moved the decorations (driftwood) -lots of poo was underneath.

So I vacuumed it up and my fish started to explore the tank more!

so I think the reason my fish were hanging on one side of the tank, was because something was bothering them (in that poo accumulation).

There are lots of possibilities on why they prefer to hang on one side of the tank, maybe that's where there are less current, maybe that's where there are lots of swimming space, or maybe they just like that side of the tank more :D and etc etc.

I tend to agree with the "less is good" philosophy. I recently removed one of my biggest fake plants and it felt like i got an extra 5 gallons in my tank :D and the fishies seem happier also. But I feel bogwood/driftwod and plants is heaps better than other kinds of ornamentation because 1. they look natural, 2. my fish nibbles on the plant & bogwood ;)

stooeygee, r u planning to keep & grow show quality fish at all? if so, then yep a bare tank is the best.

PS: i always lift my dirftwood and vaccum underneath it when cleaning the tank

I always move EVERYTHING when I do my big water change! I take out at least a quarter of the water and while syphoning it out I move the decorations around. The gookey, eckey stuff likes to hide in nooks & crannies! During the really deep cleaning I even take out all the plants (which I have anchored into little pots & I swish out the pots. Then I make sure to move all the roacks around......that stuff is GREAT at hiding.

I think that that stuff CAN become toxic if left unattended!

Guest JustJayde

Hmn now I am second guessing my idea of the clay pot... once that is in the tank he will only have half the tank to freely swim in ..... darn

I usually keep the far corners of the tank densley planted, with some more plants and decorations up the sides and along the back, but the middle and front is mostly swimming space :)

Guest JustJayde
maybe u can punch out the bottom of the clay pot so ur fishies can swim in, under, and out the other end :D

415934[/snapback]

LOL sure that will happen ;) *watches pot shatter* well if you count swimming INTO and OUT of it ;) he doesn't lose much space... I plan to put it in there sideways at one end, hopefully it leaves him enough room

I decided to take out my gravel and I am very happy with the results (I still have it and may use it again sometime, who knows??)

Right now I have medium rocks & small stones. I also have terra cotta pots for my plants. And a few shells!

I just move everything when I am am syphoning. "Gunk" & "Eckies" can & will accumulate under EVERYTHING. With the syphon hose nudge the decorations around so you clean in & under them!

Archived