I Got Cories!

kristysweets

:newfish well i went to the store and got some cories to add with my guppies later on. i got four, i'm not sure how healthy they are so i guess i shouldn't get too excited cause i haven't had any luck with new fish. the albino's where in bad shape with i think ick and the others were in a tank with a lot of dead cories :( but all the tanks have dead and sick fish so i guess gotta take my chances. the guppies were amazing though, i almost just bought more guppies instead, they were so active, happy, and pretty! but here are my new little guys. the albino's are cory and dora (i'm so orginial :rolleyes: ) the brown ones are hansel and gretel. i got them some algea discs and shrimp pellets, but they are not eating them, i've seen them go over it but how do i know if they are eating? one of the albino's is very active, he swims all over the place the others seem to just swim around the bottom, is that normal? well the little brown one is swimming all over too now. i've never had these before so i don't know how they are suppose to act, i read a little bit about them, but never found any good sites that tell you much other then size, ph they prefer and the basic stuff like that.

http://kristysweets.net/pictures/cories.jpg

http://kristysweets.net/pictures/corydora.jpg

http://kristysweets.net/pictures/hansel.jpg

Congratulations!Cories are soooo cute..I used to have 3 panda cories until I accidentally killed them with salt :( They have such great personalities and are very fun to watch :D

I think swimming on the bottom is normal...I seldom saw mine actually swim around except for the ocassional dart to the surface(I still don't know why they do that?!) :) They also love bloodworms :druel but they do eat almost anything...mine loved peas too!

Again congrats!They look great and they're names are real cute :)

:D Congrats on the new Cories! I have quite a few of those guys and I love them. :heart Cories tend to like their water slightly Acidic,they seem to do much better with Ph in the 7 range.They also need pretty pristene water conditions,and regular gravel vacs so their Barbels don't erode.Sometimes when new,they will tend to be a little shy at first.My Cories are very active.They tend to swim at all levels in the tank,and I've even had a few spawns from the Albino ones. :D My guys eat almost anything,including Algae Wafers-Shrimp Pellets,(Love Frozen Bloodworms),Pro-Gold,and semi cooked veggies like Squash/Zuchinni/Spinach/Collard Greens,etc.Did you remember to acclimate them to your water before you added them in the tank? Anyway,good luck with them. :)

You have some lovely bronze corys there (C.aeneus). The albino ones are the same species and, time willing, they will probably breed together. :)

On the subject of names - my niece called her two corys Rory and Dory. What's in a name? :D

thanks everyone :)

coyote ugly, how did you kill them them salt?? i salted my tank for the ick! :o i have 1/2 tsp per gal. something told me not to put salt in there, but i did it anyway. are they gonna die now? :(

and yes, Devs i did acclimate them to my water and thanks for all the extra info :)

;) Just making sure. You'd be surprised at just how many people open the bag and just dump them in without adding their own tank water to theirs slowly to acclimate them. :) That also rules out any odd behaviors from that.

Cories are adorable. I have 5 sterbai cories and they are so much fun to watch. They swim all over the place although they stay mostly on the bottom.

Cories can process air in their gut for oxygen so they dart to the surface for a gulp of air every now and then. That's normal.

Cories are shoaling fish and like company of their own so you did the right thing in getting 4 of them.

Congratulations on the :newfish

they've already perked up kissy! i've been watching them, they like to stay in the back of the tank though, but i see them pop up through the plants and every once in a while they come in the front and swim all over. the two brown ones stay together and the two albinos stay together :D

They'll get more adventurous as they get used to their new home.

I have just noticed at least 2 baby ones in my amazon tank - they are so tiny. They must have survived from the last spawning :D

I'm glad they are acting better now :) You'll have to tell me if they all merge and school together once they are feeling more at home.

416120[/snapback]

they are all swimming together now :D

http://kristysweets.net/pictures/cories1.jpg

http://kristysweets.net/pictures/cories2.jpg

http://kristysweets.net/pictures/cories3.jpg

http://kristysweets.net/pictures/cories4.jpg

Aww :heart

I wasn't planning on getting albinos, but I got an albino mouse and now they are the sweetest looking things to me. So...I will definately get at least one of those, and maybe a peppered and bronze. We'll see I guess! Are albino cories more sensitive to lights and camera flashes? I'm glad they are doing better now :)

i bet your mouse is a cutie :) i've had albino parakeets before. i don't know about the camera flash, it doesn't seem to bother them. i try not to get too close. at first the albinos were the only ones i could get pics of cause the other ones are scaredy cats! lol, especially my bigger bronze one he hides from me all the time, the others don't seem to be too scared of me any more though.

coyote ugly, how did you kill them them salt?? i salted my tank for the ick!? :o i have 1/2 tsp per gal. something told me not to put salt in there, but i did it anyway. are they gonna die now? :(

415977[/snapback]

oops sorry I just saw this :(

They were in with my frys and when one of my frys acted sick and sluggish,I salted to 0.3% and then if I'm not mistaken,the next day they were all lying on their sides.I was told that cories do not tolerate salt and that was all we could think of killing them as they were perfectly fine before salt was added.

Your cories are okay?wow!That is great!I was also told that panda cories were a bit more sensitive than other breeds though so that might explain why yours did good with the salt :unsure:

How are your cories lately?

i'm sorry you had to lose your cories. i only had put 1/2 tsp per gal so i guess it wasn't enough to hurt them too much, i had changed almost all thier water and i've done water changes since so i would think it's all gone now. they have been fine, today is day 7 and they are still alive :panana so i'm hoping they will be ok. i'm only worried about one of them, it's whiskers are a lot shorter than the other ones, but i've read they grow back so hopefully they will. in a few more weeks i'll put them with my guppies and see how that goes.

Archived