All I Wanted Was A Battery Air Pump....

littleone78

OK, so I went into mmm to get a battery operated air pump.... I got it! But, I also got a little, sweet, betta with really bad looking fins. I couldn't just leave him there! No one else would buy him looking like that and then what would they do with him??? :scared

Well, he stole my heart already! Right now I have him in a 1 gallon with some Betta Fix.

He is soooo tiny. Hubby thinks maybe he is a just a little baby, maybe too young to even be shipped. His body is only an inch long, his poor little tail is barely even half an inch. His dorsal fin is just a little stub, almost like someone cut it completely off, or like it was never even there. And his eyes are really shiny, its weird, is this something I should worry about?

This is the best pic we got, shows how ragged and short his fins are:

DSC00107.jpg

This is the album with 8 pretty good pictures in it: Album

I think I am going to call him Red. Not very creative, but when I looked at him in his little cup and said "Hi Red" he perked up a little and gave me that sweet little betta look.

He seems very happy in his 1 gallon, been exploring it in great detail. He's so sweet... I love him already. :heart

Guest JustFroggy

awww Red is just to cute

I hope he gets to be okay but I am sure with your sweet heart Red will

Can't look at the pics though, asked for a password.

Oh he looks like Orchard!!!! :heart !

Good luck with the little guy! He looks like he's in pretty bad shape, and his fin rot might be bacterial, so make sure you have some meds like the maracyns or sulfa on hand. Poor little Red

The little guy has stolen my heart too!

Good idea Kissy... I do have some Maracyn on hand.... how will I know if I need to use it?

Thanks guys, I hope I did the right thing. I'm attached to him already. Hubby said "you can't get him if you are just going to get yourself all upset" I said "Upset? Who's gonna get upset? Me? Not me?" LOL....

Guest JustJayde

awwww good for you hun, if anyone can pull this little buddy through and perk him up it will be you :) keep us posted how he does.

Did you get the pump? ;)

LOL! Yep, got the pump! I blame this whole thing on you Jayde - you're the reason I went to the pet store in the first place! ;)

Now I absolutely can NOT even GLANCE at any more fish.... I'm still trying to figure out a good location for the poor guy... He just looks so little in that 1 gallon tank!! :heart

Guest JustJayde

LOL sure sure blame the cute canadian chick, I see how it is ;)

It's ok I will take the blame, he is a beauty.

You will find somewhere for him and nurse him to his full potential. :exactly

Aw, poor, sweet wee little thing. I sure hope he heals up. I would try the good water for a few days and if you don't see the fins disintegrating anymore, I would just keep up the good water and see if they will heal without medication. Sometimes adding medication can aggravate the problem.

How does he look this morning?

I just bought a lionhead on Wednesday evening that was a sick little fish, too. He is now recuperating at my house and is doing well, thank goodness :)

Fingers and fins crossed for a good recovery for both of our patients.

Actually, looks like a bit of new growth on the tail already. It should come back a bit transparent and then colour up later.

When you say his eyes are shiny, do you mean reflective? Sometimes a metallic sheen carries on to the eyes, and perhaps it will come back to the body when he's feeling better. Also... he may not be a veiltail... he could be a crowntail or a delta or anything. It will be a surprise to see what grows back.

When you say his eyes are shiny, do you mean reflective?  Sometimes a metallic sheen carries on to the eyes, and perhaps it will come back to the body when he's feeling better.  Also... he may not be a veiltail... he could be a crowntail or a delta or anything.  It will be a surprise to see what grows back.

416273[/snapback]

One of his eyes has a metallic sort of bit to it - almost like a tiny sequin. I haven't seen it on the other eye though.

He is really moving around and perking up. He seems to get tired very quickly though - he'll swim to the bottom of the tank then zip up and try to go back down and get "stuck" somewhere half way then just drift back up.

Hubby is so cute with him - he comes shouting at me "I think he's trying to make a nest! He likes us! He's making a nest!" I go over, no hun, he is just BREATHING. LOL... Silly man.... and he says *I* am over-emotional.....

Hubby is so cute with him - he comes shouting at me "I think he's trying to make a nest! He likes us! He's making a nest!" I go over, no hun, he is just BREATHING. LOL... Silly man.... and he says *I* am over-emotional.....

416394[/snapback]

:rofl

I hope red gets better with waterchanges :( Make sure the temp between the two waters is the same. Try aging the new water overnight if you haven't already, maybe he'll deal with it better.

Red is a dollbaby! I hope he pulls out of the finrot alright. About the water changes and the light and stuff. It sounds like to me he's just in shock from being in such bad conditions to being in such good conditions. I'd just give him a while to mentally and phsyically adjust. I don't know why but bettas seem to be the moodiest little fish. My betta pouts after I vaccum his gravel ! Keep us posted on the little guy!

Guest PitchBlackMoore
Well, our first partial water change didn't go well... Red is really pi**ed at me right now.... he hasn't moved in a while.... *sigh* I hope he gets over it.... we are going to have to change water again tomorrow.

416468[/snapback]

You haven't seen Kaiba yet. O_oWhen I pick up his tank, he practically panics and swims everywhere. One time, when he was in the net, he tricked me into thinking he had jumped out of the net, so I was like, 'Where's Kaiba?!?!?! NOOOO!!' but he was actually lying very still in the net. :|

He gets pi**y at me after I clean his tank out unless I feed him, so I always give him a tiny reward... not a bribe, honest! Give him a treat after cleaning him out.

:rofl at the "bubble nest".

Yes the metallic pattern can be different in each eye. You've got to keep him alive so that we can see his metallic sheen come thru, he could become a very interesting colour.

This is my red betta with freaky metallic eyes, altho you can't really see it in this photo, but my camera was stolen so it's the best I have. His metallic sheen is lavender but I've another red with white metallic between the rays and a red female with green metallic... I have a few bettas... they're addictive.

Your betta will be tired because his muscles will have wasted away in a betta jar, but now he can move around he'll get stronger. Eventually you can get him flaring to a mirror or another fish and his fins will become much fuller with all the stretching.

If the water changes upset him, consider getting some airline tubing and syphoning half the water out every two days. You can syphon clean water back in, but you'll have to put another heater in the bucket to get it up to a similar temperature, and don't forget your chlorine/chloramine remover. Chloramine won't break down over 24 hours like chlorine does. You have to break the bond between the Chlorine and Ammonia to allow it to dissipate and that requires adding the water treater.

Archived