White Growth On Lion Head

burge130

I have a very small lion head who normally is very frisky, but this week he developed a small white growth above his mouth it doesn't look fluffy so i didn't think it was fungus. He is in a 20 gallon tank with a penguin 200 filter and air pump. air stone and hose. He gets regular water changes about 10%-15% of the water. He has been larthagic for the last couple of days and we've even caught him lying down once or twice. Any ideas what this could be?

Thanks for your help :(

Burge is this fish in with the oranda you are having probs with?

Also can you post the params of the tank? Thanks.

It could be fungus or ??? let's see what the params are and go from there.

Ok, this is good to know, for a minute I thought you were going to have 2 fish sick.

Now I am not sure on this "horn" thing. How long is it? Anyway to get a pic of it?

Is he acting very sick?

I know that sometimes they lay on the bottom, but if he is doing pretty much that all the time then there could be something bothering him.

How long have you had the fish? Is there anything other than laying on the bottom ?

You can salt the tank to a 0.3% concentration. Do you know how to do this? (can't remember if we have discussed it in your other thread. :) ). If not we can go thru it for you.

We've had the lionhead for about 3 months, and he just started acting oddly this past week. He lays on the gravel, and he seems very tired all the time. I also do not know how to do the sald concentration, but i'd love to learn how to do it.

Thanks again, I am so greatful for all of your help. Sorry it took so long to get back to you, I had to go to work.

That is ok, I know how work goes. ;) And you are very welcome for the help.

Ok to do the salt the dose is 1 tsp per gallon of water. This dose gives you 0.1% concentration. The goal is 0.3% however you have to go slowly over the period of 36 hours. So doing 1 tsp per gallon every 12 hours until you have done this 3 times. Viloa.....0.3% concentration.

Hopefully you understand, if not let me know. AT first it can be overwhelming but really it is simple.

Now salt doesn't evaporate it is removed with water changes. So when you do water changes you will have to measure how much you remove, for you have removed that much salt and you will need to replace it.

Once you reach the 0.3% concentration you do not need to do it slowly again as you change water.

Example: You are at 0.3% concentration and you remove 2 gals of water. You have removed that much salt........the equvilant of 6 tsps. You may add all 6 tsps back to the water. got it?????

It is probably a good idea to run the salt a total of 30 days, this way if there is a parasite it very well may get killed by the salt.

Salt is a natural parasite killer.

Hey hes doing something new today, hes opening his mouth really wide and stretching it out over and over again. He also seems to be breathing heavily, looks like hes having trouble with his gills. It looks like the thing over his mouth it really bothering him. But we've started his salt concentration, and we're hoping for the best! We love this little guy.

Have you touched this thing? May be worth it to feel if it is hard or what. If it moves or stationary.

Is it directly on the mouth?

I have been thinking, might not be a bad idea to start him on a medicated food in case this is an abcess. Do you have any of this food?

Hes gotten a lot worse today, he can't control his swimming and we found him stuck to the filter this morning. We've putting the salt in this morning and we put some medication pills in as well, unfortunately we cannot put the filter on because he keeps getting sucked into it. Its not looking good for him. Any other ideas, you think would work? :(

The filter has to stay on in order to not crash the cycle, So you will have to put something around it so that he doesn't get stuck. They do make filter covers or some type of netting works. Turn down the flow as low as possible but keep it running.

You may want to start an antibotic food, for internal infection. Something is bringing down his immune system. Is he able to eat? You may want to force feed him if he doesn't want to.

What are the Water Parameter's?Have you tested them again? Is the fish showing any other sign's/Symptoms such as flashing/Scratching up against surfaces,Split/Torn fins/Red Streaks,etc. Is he eating?Have you seen him spitting out any food? Are you able to carefully look at the color of his gills?Are they Pale,or Dark Red?

Unfortunately, without a picture and/or a good description, there's not much we can do except advise you to raise the salinity to 0.3% and up the amount of waterchanges. Wich you have already done.

This "white thing" needs a VERY good description if there is to be no photo. Exactly where is it located, how big around, how much is it protruding, is there any redness?

Sorry, but from the sounds of it, it's definitely not sounding to good for your boyfriends fish..... :(

His gills are swollen but pink, the white horn is on top of his mouth, its small but noticable. we are treating him with maracyn 2. The parameters are the same as before ammonia 0, ph 7.5, 0 nitrites, 5 nitrates. He can no longer swim, all he does is float at the top of the tank on his side.

Burge I have brought in some reinforcements for I think there is something we are missing. It is a good idea to recap for us.

Toothy is right the more descriptive the better.

A few of us are also talking of the probability of multiple problems in this fish not just one.

If this is the type of thing that you are seeing in his mouth, it may be a simple thing that is not at all unusual. This is a picture of my "Rocky". He has had a white "tooth" in his mouth for years. Many judges and breeders have seen it and have not been concerned.

I am afaid that, as the others say, you may have a parasitic problem, compounded by a secondary infection......

:(

post-27-1130261839_thumb.jpg

So - how is your fish doing today?

Those two are Rocky (on the right) - an "egg fish" genetic carrier and Bear, (on the left), a Ranchu.

Rocky's "tooth" is on his outer lip so that it is apparent when his mouth is shut. It looks like an aligator fang..... He just thought I was going to feed him so I got the "OK where is the food!" look for the camera.

Hey guys unfortunately our little lionhead (moleman) passed away this morning. We are incredibly sad, but at the same time its sadder to see an emtpy tank. We've never had to deal with an empty tank, what do we do? Are we supposed to start all over, empty out the tank, or do we just do half a water change? What is the right thing to do?

Sorry to hear he didn't make it.

Since we are not sure what was going on, it is probably best to break down the tank and clean it thoroughly. Since you have another tank to pull filter media and water from to kick start a cycle I would do that. Sorry again.

Archived