What Kind Of Gravel And Where To Get It.

Guest Fisherman

Guest Fisherman

:yeah:

I'm setting up a new aquarium and plan to get two or three orandas about four or five inches. I've never had gold fish before. My tank is 75 gallons. After reading information at this site, I've found that there is a concern about the size of the gravel. It's not supposed to be large enough to be caught in their mouths since they sometimes feed on the bottom. Would someone please tell me what size gravel to get and where I can get it. Thank you all very much.

U can browse for the gravel easily enuff i reckon. every lfs/garden shop must have a selection of gravel to sell.

If ur orandas are 4-5 inches long, then gravel pieces that are about 2mm diameter should be ok. if u really wanna be on the safe side, go with big river stones or barebottom.

Guest JustJayde

Yippers river stones or bare bottom.

I am bare bottom with a small handful of river stones for attractiveness as well as for my fishie to poke around :)

I got some beautiful river rocks at mmm. I was afraid my fantail and ryukins would choke on the regular gravel. When they ate, the fantail especially would suck up not only food but a good 4-5 pieces of gravel at the same time. And after reading a few threads on this site about people having to remove gravel with tweezers, I switched to the larger stone.

One thing with the larger stone--I put enough to cover the bottom. When I feed the food falls between the rocks and the fish are unable to move them. So I follow the Tip of the Month and use "feeding plates"--terra cotta saucers on top of the rocks and the fish eat off of there. Works well

Good luck!! 75 gallons is a great size--have fun with it!

I have even found some real pretty stones at the Dollar Store! Little sacks of smooth stones. I have added 3 or 4 bags. Other than that I have small & medium sized rocks which I have gathered locally (in Georgia rocks "grow" out of the ground!).

I used to use gravel but I can keep my tank cleaner easier without gravel. But that's not to say that i won't get a wild hair and decorate with gravel later on.

I got some river stones for my tank at first. I have a black moore and whenever I fed he'd just about tear his own eyeballs out trying to get inbetween the rocks for food. It was horrible! It was sad too because he usually couldn't get the food and he was all bummed out. I think you will be fine with orandas but any telescope fish( which I find enjoy feeding at the bottom the most) I'd really reccommend getting very small gravel instead. I finaly changed the gravel, but still he has little scratches on his eyes:(

Guest JustJayde

well river stones are normally smooth, but it would be prudent to check each stone, I know I did... only smooth rounded ones went into my tank. It is the same with anything you put in, you have to check it.....

You can get .5 inch river stones at places like Lowe's, Home Depot, H&E or other home improvement stores. It is a lOT cheaper than getting it at a pet store...or even cheaper than the gravel in the pet section at nnnnnn. I got a bag big enough for my 55 gallon tank for $6 and a bag at nnnnnn that is only big enough for maybe a 10 gallon is 10 bucks!!!!

I have already had a mishap with small gravel getting stuck in a fish's mouth (its not fun, fishie is still recovering) and I am planning on getting rid of all my small gravel in my other tanks.

I got some river stones for my tank at first. I have a black moore and whenever I fed he'd just about tear his own eyeballs out trying to get inbetween the rocks for food. It was horrible! It was sad too because he usually couldn't get the food and he was all bummed out. I think you will be fine with orandas but any telescope fish( which I find enjoy feeding at the bottom the most) I'd really reccommend getting very small gravel instead. I finaly changed the gravel, but still he has little scratches on his eyes:(

OMG!!!! How horrible! That has never happened to my fish. I wonder if it was really river stones you got? River stones should all be very smooth. Maybe it was just the brand you got? Or could it possibly have been some other type of landscaping stone?

That's another thing. Dont use any other type of landscaping stone in your tank. Most of the ones I have seen are sharp and certain rocks are bad for your fish.

Darn darn darn! Can you believe it? All this talk about gravel and guess what??????

My moor tank has small gravel in it. Lacy is choking on it!!!!!

AAAHHHHHHH!!! I cant see it in there though. I need hubby's help again.

Just say "no" to small gravel. Lol!

Well I guess they weren't really river stones, but they looked just like them only a little smaller. They were very smooth and I put all the bigger ones on top. It wasn't that they were sharp it was that his eyes are parallel to his mouth and he would dig his head inbetween the stones for food and knock his eyes back and forth on the stones. I swear he'll do anything for food! It's crazy! :krazy:

I just use little tiny gravel pieces now and he can easily just vacuum through the gravel without hurting his eyes. The gravel is easy for him to spit out. He's an expert gravel cleaner! Seriuosly you should see him go! Anyways, he's a lot happier now, so all is good. :lol:

Guest Fisherman

:yeah:

Thank you all for all your excellent advice. I got my search engine going and located a source that sorts the gravel into three sizes. My understanding is that the gravel should be either too small to get stuck, or too large for them to get it into their mouths. My orandas will be 5 inches or greater. I'm considering getting both the small size, which is 1/8 th inch and smaller, and the large size, which is 1/2 inch and larger. I plan mix the two sizes. Can anyone comment on this plan?

One more thing, the gravel is all river bed gravel and appears to be rounded on all sides.

You know I was thinking of doing the same thing. I like the way that small gravel vaccuums. It gets sucked into the vaccum a bit and bets all the grime our from in between. The large gravel just sits there and you have to stir it up with the vaccuum to get the gunk. I am thinking I may do like you so that I can have the benefit of both small and large gravel. :D

even though its exspensive, Fourite, onyx and those other planting media are very small, my moore Mo was on it for a long time with no problems.. but he's only about 3 inches in body length (not including fins) he could suck it up, but its to small to get stuck Im guessing, no problems

You dont want to go too small though. If its too small (like sand) and the fish sucks it up he can pass it through his gills and can irritate them. Atleast thats what I've heard from a few people when I wanted to go sand in one of my tanks

Archived