Goldfish Coloring

Guest Rambo

I have a telescope eyed goldfish who is slowly losing his black spots. It's not like his scales are visibly peeling off, but I've noticed that he has less black now than he used to. He's almost completely gold. Why did this happen? Can I do anything to get his color back?

How long have you had him and how old is he?

Many goldfish are brought home with black markings, but they usually dissapear. It could be one of two things: Your fish could have started out a black moor or black/orange telescope and just started changing with age (black is a very unstable color in goldfish) or it could have been ammonia burns that were healing. If a goldfish is in a small or uncycled tank, ammonia can burn their scales. When the burns heal, the black markings form and dissapear, kind of like the human equivalent to a scab. However, it doesn't matter what happened if you are wanting the color back...the black will most likely not return.

I have 2 calico orandas that are changing color too....the black seems to fade and is now more brownish...Like kissy said,black is a very unstable color.I always thought calicos keep their black though but apparently not :hmm

There are colour enhancing foods out there, but I have no experience with them.

It is normal for a black fish to lose a lot of their pitch black colour. My black moor went almost coppery after I had him for a couple years.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/jean.../BigBoy2004.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/jeana727/DSCF0021.jpg

I picked out Big Boy for his black markings, he lost ALL the black!! Black is indeed unstable!

By the way I love Big Boy because he is a super fantastic Red Oranda!! :exactly

Archived