Experts..is This Water Ok?

Newfishmom

Guys..here are the official testings on my tank - I got a fancy test kit, not just the strips..here are the results..is this good: Ammonia: 0ppm; Nitrate .50 PH 7.2 Nitrate: 10ppm I also had this test for "High Range PH" that was 7.8 - also, my ph on water from tap is 7.6 - NOW WHAT?? Is this water ok for my fish..help..I am a newbie..

your nitrites are a little high, everything else looks good though. The pH is okay a little high, just so long as it doesn't fluctuate. Do you use a pH additive to your fish water? I would stop if you do, a pH of 7.6 is fine so long as its stable. I would do about a 25-20% water change to lower the nitrite, other than that your in good shape. :D

Readings look good, just need to get that nitrite to 0 as nickjake said.

Which test kit do you have? I ahve the Aquarium Pharm test kit and also have 2 pH tests. As far as i understand it, if you do the "regular" pH test (6.0-7.6) and your color matches one of the colors on the card, that reading is the pH of your water. If, however, your pH is as dark or darker than the darkest reading (7.6 on my card) then you do the high range pH test.

So if you have the same test kit as I do and your pH read 7.2 there would be no reason to test for high pH. And since the high range pH card begins at 7.4, 7.2 would be too low of a pH to register on the high range pH test (7.4-8.8).

Sorry that is kinda confusing. Please let me know if I can help clear that up!!

Hi fantail fan - I wondered why they had two types of pH tests - ok, so I can just stick with the normal one because I am in those parameters - what you said made perfect sense - and then a 30% water change will lower the nitrites - got it. Thanks!

they have the mid-range and the high-range pH test kits because a lot of types of fish (including marine) need really high pHs. For goldies, neutral pH (usually the pH of water from the tap) is perfect, so, high pH range test kit isn't needed, for some fish fanatics, they keep more than one tank :rolleyes: with different types of fish and need both test kits.

Hi - Sounds like you are well on your way to being cycled! yeah!

I like to keep the pH high range test kit around for the reason TiO mentioned as well as to be check for the regular pH. My tap pH is on the high end of the regular pH color chart but the range between it and the lowest High range value is 7.2-7.8! Whoa! Too big for comfort since I always wind up with dark blue! So, I make sure the pH is where I think it is - usually between 7.4-7.6 by confirming it on the high range test. So, maybe you want to keep it handy just in case you get a fluctuation in pH values and want to double check it - just a thought! :)

Hi - Sounds like you are well on your way to being cycled! yeah!

I like to keep the pH high range test kit around for the reason TiO mentioned as well as to be check for the regular pH. My tap pH is on the high end of the regular pH color chart but the range between it and the lowest High range value is 7.2-7.8! Whoa! Too big for comfort since I always wind up with dark blue! So, I make sure the pH is where I think it is - usually between 7.4-7.6 by confirming it on the high range test.  So, maybe you want to keep it handy just in case you get a fluctuation in pH values and want to double check it - just a thought!  :)

415406[/snapback]

That's a great point, Graham. About every 2 weeks I check my pH with the high range test just to make sure when I get a dark blue reading of 7.6 that it is actually 7.6 not higher. So far, so good but you can never be too careful. Thanks for adding that!

Archived