Ammonia Level? 0

Nitrite Level? 0

Nitrate level? 30

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)? PH=7.5

Ph Level out of the Tap? 8

Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 55 gal/7 months

What is the name and size of the filter/s? 2 penguin biowheel 330's

How often do you change the water and how much? 35% twice a week

How many fish in the tank and their size? 3 goldies : 1 small (2-3 inch) black moor, 1 medium size (5-6inch) shubunkin, 1 pretty big (8 inch) ryukin/fantail mix, and one smallish (3 inch) albino choclate pleco.

What kind of water additives or conditioners? stress coat for water conditioning

Any medications added to the tank? no

Add any new fish to the tank? the pleco is sort of new

What do you feed your fish? a little of everything

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? NO, just the greyish lump on the fantai's head.

Any unusual behavior like staying

at the bottom, not eating, ect..? No

My 4 year old ryukin/fantail mix has developed a strange lump on his head. It has been there for almost 2 weeks now. It is on the top of his head, a little off center to the right. It is about the size of a BB. I first thought it was an injury, but it is not going away, it is slightly greyish in color, and definately looks ilike it si something coming from within his head rather than just sitting on top of it. I did try melafix with pimafix for a week, but I saw no signs of it going away. None of the other fish have any problems. I am starting to think (and I pray that I am wrong) that it might be a tumor or something :crp I will try to get a picture, but he is an active fish, so it is hard to get a clear shot.

I appreciate anyone taking the time to read this and offer some advice :)

Hi Grain. :)

So, its the size of a BB, greyish/white in color and sort of centered on his head.....

What is the natural coloration of the skin in that area?

Is the skin in that area part of the head without scales?

Any redness around the lump?

Is it fuzzy in appearance?

Is it growing or did it just appear one day?

The pics would definitely help a ton! ;)

Post back soon....

Paul

Thank you Paul! I'm working on getting pics up right now. I have a few, but they are blurry, and my batteries just died, so I'll have to post those just for now.

but, the bump just kind of appeared one day, it doesn't look like it is getting bigger though, and there is no red area around it, also, it is on the part of the head with no scales, and it is normally orange. It looks like it sometimes "changes" colors...sometimes it is more grey, sometimes the very top part of it is black, and as of just today, it looks like the area around the edges of the bump on the head part are turning white.

I can't really make anything of it. But, as long as it doesn't seem to be getting any bigger and does not look red or angry looking, I wouldn't worry too much. But, just for good measure, try to get a clearer pic. Remember, take MANY pics and use the best one/s.... ;)

well, I have taken many pics, but it just will not show up in them...it only appears just as a darker spot, but basically, it looks almost like a wart or something of the sort. it is more noticable than it was at first, and it also looks more white than before. I don't think it is getting bigger, but it definately is changing colors.

here are 2 more pics, it still does not really show up here, but you can see where it is located:

you can see it as a dark spot here (it is on the bottom fish's head)

DSC01605.jpg

and you can kinda see it here too:

DSC01575.jpg

Thank you for the advice Paul :)

I have just left well enough alone, and there has been no change, so I guess that's a good thing. The lump isn't getting any bigger, and it just looks the same. I hope that it's just some strange harmless thing. I'll keep an eye on it for any changes.

Archived