Clouded Eye, Listless, Fast Breathing

smack536

all tank params are in normal range, just finished treating for ich about a week ago, now all fish have badly freyed fins, and one has a clouded over eye, is laying almost vertical on the bottom, and is breathing very very rapidly. please help fast...she doesnt look good at all....

Smack we need you to post the params of the tank even though you say it is ok, along with all the other info needed. Thanks.

How long did you treat the ich for and using what treatment?

When was the last day of treatment of the salt?

The fins could be still having effects of the ich and stress.

However I am not sure about the eye.

Does the fish look swollen Chriti? In the pic she does to me, but since I don't know her I will rely on you for that info.

Telescopes have such delicate eyes and I don't have alot of experience with them eyes or telescopes so the more information the better.

last day of salt was a good week or so ago. did about an 80% water change after that.

That eye is very swollen in comparison to the other, and theres veins showing very prominently on it....

Was the fins fraying during the ich?

How is the fish acting now? Is there any change for worse or better?

You might try adding the salt back into the tank. It may help to soothe her.

Is the fish swollen to you? The only reason I ask again as I would hate for her to dropsy on you.

What is the temp of the tank? You could try raising the temp slowly to around 80 degrees. This will help to boost her immune system.

well, the tank is room temp, high 60's to 70's

her body is not puffy, just her one eyeball....it llooks a bit less cloudy today, however....should i watch and wait, or is it a warning sign of something....

Could be low grade bacterial infection. Secondary infection can happen after or at the same time as parasitic infestation. Their immune system is stressed and/or suppressed. If she appears to be recovering on her own then leave it for a day or two. If any other symptoms appears then you will need to start her on some medicated food like medigold.

Another question....Should I treat freyed up fins caused by the ich with something or just let them heal on their own(clean water, etc) or should I go with melafix or something?

I wouldn't recommend using anything other than perfect water and some salt to heal the fins.

I have seen really frayed fins heal in no time with just that. Hopefully now her eye will heal with out the culprit nibbleing on it.

Christi I am going to move your thread to the generic diag forum. If the fish relapses or gets worse let us know and we can move it back.

Good luck with the little guy.

Archived