Help! Loving Home Needed For 4 Goldfish!

Guest JP27

Hello!

I have a question regarding finding a good home for 4 goldfish that I can no longer keep. I have considered posting an ad on Craigs List or Northwest Classifieds, but I want to be sure they will be properly taken care of so I thought I would look into some sites specific to goldfish and aquarium owners.

I have all of the equipment necessary for maintaining these fish, including a recently purchased 20 gallon tank (one of the fish has grown very large and I'm not sure how much bigger he'll get!, so he's in need of this upgrade from the current 10 gallon tank).

Most important to know, I would be giving the fish and equipment away for

free. Although I have invested a lot of money in the equipment, my primary

concern is that the fish go to a loving home and to someone who will take

good care of them. Unfortunately, I am moving to a smaller apartment and

simply do not have adequate room for them, especially now that they need a

larger tank.

Here is what else would be coming with the fish:

gravel, the 20 gallon tank plus brand new under gravel filters for the 20

gallon tank, a bucket, net, goldfish book, a scrubber, a siphoning tube

(which is dirty and I will replace), and the new filter for a 20-40 gallon

tank. I also have several artificial plants and tank accessories that I will

no longer need. If anyone is interested, they would also be welcome to the

10 gallon tank the fish are currently in (which also contains under gravel

Filters, a 10 gallon filter, and a glass hood). The only piece that is missing is a glass hood

for the new 20 gallon tank, but I believe those can be purchased fairly

inexpensively.

I have photos of both the fish and the additional supplies, so if anyone is interested in seeing these, please let me know!

THANK YOU

Hello! Sorry, I'm not sure if they are a specific type, they just look like your standard breed. I have a couple of photos posted in my photo album on this site, if you care to look!

• Supporter

Wow, is this a sign for me maybe?

I just had a learning experience from a fish we just lost, I knew nothing about goldfish and was given one by my sister (it was my 3 year old nephew's fish) because she was moving out of state. She had it is a 1.5 gallon Spongebob Squarepants tank (lol). It had been doing fine even with the small tank, but stupid me I thought I was doing the fish a favor by doing a 100% water change and washing the gravel. Plus I used some distilled water in the tank. Since then, sadly, the fish did not make it, despite my best efforts and the help of people on this site. I have been on this site several times a day and learning everything I can so I can get a new fish for my daughter, and we can have a fun new hobby together.

So we have been trying to save money and out browsing pet stores. We were planning to get a 20 gallon tank. I live right outside of Seattle.

If you trust me after my stupid mistake, and if no one else is taking them already, let me know. We can talk and see if it might work out. You can post back here or email me at nascarfan546@yahoo.com I will check out your pictures right now! :-)

(Note: If you want more info about me see my post right underneath here..."best fish for a newbie" and one farther down where I am asking about tank setups)

How do I access your photo album?

~Jen

Wow - was it meant to be I wonder? :D Could be just the thing for both of you and you live so close by. JP I hope everything works out and Jen, you could have your new fish soon. I hope so :D

• Supporter

I'm off to bed, will check back in the morning. But JP, if you are not comfortable with a newbie handling your fish i would totally understand. And tell me how to access your photo album, I have been trying to figure it out but I am a noob on this site too!

Guest JustJayde

jen626, I am sure your "newbie" status is fine, you are after all on the best site for help you can possibly be on :D you two do seem to have a perfect situation though.

I hope it works out for you both :D

• Supporter

Thanks for the links to the pics...they are big! But cute too, they remind me of the ones I had when i was a kid that ended up going to live in a pond.

Also, I love the names...the Outsider's is one of my favorite books/movies.

:) Very pretty fish,and I really hope that they have a chance at seeing a brand new bigger tank. :D Being a Newbie is tough,but if you really care,are interested in taking as much time permitted to do a little research,and begin your life with Goldfish with the correct tank size,filter's,test kits etc.,you have all of our support on the board. People are under the assumption that Goldfish are easy creatures to keep,and that is so not true-not if you want them to be in the best physical health anyway.It takes alot of hard work,but is ever so satisfying once you get there. :exactly Good luck to all involved. ;)

JEN! Sorry, I have not been online for awhile, so I'm behind in your postings!

This situation seems perfect! I'm so excited! Believe me, I still consider myself a "newbie", too. I've found that it just takes a little research. It's sad about you previous fish, but maybe that will serve as a good learning experience. And this site is ideal for the right guidance for fish keeping.

I will email you at your yahoo address later today!

Talk to you soon!

Joanna

I know its completely off topic but I have a question for Jen...I noticed in a post higher up in this thread that your e-mail address was nascarfan546. I was just wondering who your favorite driver is. I myself am obsessive about Ryan Newman...

• Supporter

JP27, can't wait to hear from you, we'll see if we can get this worked out. I live north-east of Seattle, near Bothell...are you familiar with Bothell? But I have a van and can drive wherever. How long have you had your fish in the 10 gallon tank, and in general? I was thinking, if you still want to get rid of the 10 gallon tank too, maybe I'd keep the really huge one in it, and the three smaller ones in the 20? But I don't want him to get lonely! We'll talk, you know what makes them happy and stuff. I could use the 10 (again if you don;t want it) as a hospital tank too, if one becomes necessary. Talk to you soon, and no rush if you're busy. I didn;t see if you had a time crunch or not, but I check my email at least once a day. :-)

nichjake-my favorite driver is probably Dale Jr.-predictable I know, but I can't lie! That email is actually my fiance's address (we use that one for anything public, like forums), but I am a huge NASCAR fan too. I also like Kevin Harvick, Jeff Burton and Mark Martin. Ryan Newman is awesome too!

My fiance collects NASCAR memorobilia, we have a "diecast room" in our house, full of his cars and stuff. I can already hear people here drooling, wishing (if they don't have one) that they had a "goldfish room" in their house. I opened a pack of racing cards awhile back and pulled out a card with a piece of Ryan Newman's race-used glove, pretty cool! I think he has a few Newman things autographed as well, I can't keep track anymore! I live in Washington, so no NASCAR races nearby really, but this last February I got to see my first real NASCAR race, the Daytona 500! My daughter, who is a brain cancer survivor, got to go on a Make-a-Wish trip, and she picked Disneyworld. She had a week's vacation in February, which is when we planned to go, and it happened to be the same week as the race. I could not be in Florida during the 500 and not go! My parents came along, so they took my daughter and her friend to Disneyworld, and my fiance and I got to go see the race, it was awesome. Have you ever been?

OK, enough off-topicness. :-) I am very excited at the prospect of maybe having fish soon, I told a bunch of people about it today and picked a spot for the tank, whether it is JP's on another one. Yay!

• Supporter

Hey JP, just wanted to say if you already sent me an email, can you send it again? I think that first day I emptied my Bulk mail without checking it, so in case you sent me something I didn't get it. And I also know ou are busy getting ready to move and all, no rush on my end to see if this works out. :-)

Hi, Jen! Yes, I emailed you on Monday, but will try you again on you yahoo account.

Did you get my phone number from the previous email? Feel free to give me a call, too, and we can coordinate.

My schedule for the rest of this week and weekend is open. I'm actually not moving until next month, so I'm not in that frenzy just yet!

Check your email later today and we can chat further!

Joanna

• Supporter

Hey there Joanna,

I think my Yahoo mail is messed up for some reason-I haven't received anything yet, but someone else said they sent me something as well and I didn't get that either, and I checked the Bulk mail. I don't think I can use the PM system on this board, so I'll just give you my regular email jen626@comcast.net Sorry about that!

No problem, Jen! We'll get this sorted out!

Regarding the last email you sent (on Sunday or Monday, I believe):

I have the 10 gallon tank and filter for it all set to give to you as well, if you'd

like it. I think dividing them up would be a great idea...or using it as a

hospital tank would be a good thing to have, too. Which ever you think.

Maybe after you see them, you can decide where to put who, etc.

I've had the fish for about 10 months. A neighbor was getting rid of them

and needed a quick new home for them. I had never had fish before, so I

thought I'd give it a try. When I first got them, they were all pretty

small, about 2.5 inches long or so. But then the one just GREW! And now I

can tell that the others are getting bigger as well, but that one (Cherry)

sure is the gentle giant...

I'm not 100% familiar with Bothell, but I'm sure I could figure it out. If

you're willing to come into Seattle, that would be great, too! I can get

everything ready while you heading out. Would this weekend be

convenient? My schedule is pretty open...Feel free to give me a call if

you'd like (do you still have my phone number from my previous email?)

I'm at work during the day, but am usually home by 6:00 in the

evenings (M-F)

Send me an email tomorrow at my work account, which is joannap@beckermayer.com.

Talk to you soon!

Joanna

Archived