Fish Trauma - Experts...help!

Newfishmom

The most horrible thing happened! My close to three inch gold fish got stuck! We had a castle with lots of little "ins and outs" - it blew bubbles on one of the outs - this morning we came downstairs and she was stuck in the "in" where the bubbles blow out! My little seven year old and I both screamed and cried - I thought she was dead! Luckily my husband did NOT panic, grabbed the castle, unplugged the the tube from the airstone, thus stopping the bubbles - once that stopped, the fish backed out of the tight spot and started swimming. She seems ok - she is active, swimming HOWEVER, the part where she got stuck - kind of on top of her head and above her eyes HER SCALES ARE GONE! All I see is white looking skin! I am so upset I don't know what to do - for what happened, she is not acting as I would think, i.e., floating, laying at the bottom of the tank...but I am worried about her missing scales and what COULD happen as a result of her injury - what should I do someone help!

Sorry to hear about the mishap. Stay calm if she seems ok, she probably is. You will just need to make sure that the water params stay perfect. ( i am going to move your thread to the disc. area and there post all the info in the red box and we will make sure to advise from there).

Then I recommend not putting the castle back until all the fish are to big to get in there.

I would keep the light off in the tank and keep everything quiet and calm for her to relax in.

Since she is missing some scales I would recommend starting her on a medicated food to ward off any infections from the missing flesh. You can get it at goldfish connection on line.

Hang in there and watch, if she seems ok changes are she just may be ok. ;)

Laurie..thanks for responding so fast. I am at work now...I will go home and test the water at lunch and get you the information - for now I can tell you I have a 46 gallon tank - two goldies in it - one is close to three inches, her little sis is about two inches - they are fancy fantails. -I use two Penguin filters - one on each side - it is the Penguin 200 with a bio wheel - the tank is about 5 weeks old, and I added the bio spira right when I set it up - the water has always tested well - I have not had a problem yet as far as the balance, etc. We did our first water change last week - about 25-30% - we also vacuumed the gravel that same day (it was Saturday).

Can you please advise as to a food? I went on the website you suggested..I see foods but nothing that looks "medicated." I am so nervous.

Ok..I am taking a deep breath - I found the medicated food and ordered it - I hope it gets here quick.. I called home and my mother in law turned the light off - she says the fishie is swimming around and seems fine - I am going to rush home at lunch and test my water and post it here - what do I do if the water is off? If the fish has missing scales like her, do I not use Amquel or some kind of conditioner, do I just do a water change? That is probably best, right? Daily water changes?

If your params are off, perform water changes to get them in check. Continue to use the conditioner you are using (if you are indeed using it). The important thing here is to keep the water as pristine as possible. Hang in there...she'll pull thru this!

Everyone: I bought a fancy water test kit..not just the strips - here's the deal with my tank: Ammonia: 0ppm; Nitrate .50 PH 7.2 Nitrate: 10ppm

I also had this test for "High Range PH" that was 7.8 - also, my ph on water from tap is 7.6 - NOW WHAT?? Is this water ok for my fish..help..I am a newbie..

Ok the ph should be fine. A .2 difference is usually ok, especially when it is increase and not decreased.

Now you gave 2 numbers for nitrates, I assume one is nitrites.....which one??? I am hoping the .5 which is a little high so you should do a 30% water change.

You can also use salt as a stress reducer and healing agent. Aquarium salt is good, it is ok to wait until tomorrow. You want to add 1 tsp per gallon of water. This will give you 0.1%, I would go with that for now. Remember when you do water changes you will be removing the salt as well, so measure how many gals you take out and put that much salt back in.

Hi Laurie..ok the .50 was the nitrItes - (bad stuff) - I also hear the nitrates can be bad if too high - are my NITRATES too high too? I will do a water change and I am going to go in the a.m. to get salt and salt the tank..I didn't even think of that - thanks so m uch - I don't know what I would do without Koko's board...and all the wonderful people here.

So sorry to hear about your fishy's ordeal.I hope everything goes well with her :heart Your nitrates are good...if I'm not mistaken,over 40 ppm is considered high :) Good luck!My thoughts are with you and your fish :heart

Hi everyone..so far so good - she is very perky - and her scales look silver today, not stripped like yesterday..the funny thing is that I was telling my daughter how weird life is and how a bad thing turns good. Ever since we took the "castle bubble blower out" both fish are so much more active and appear so much happier! It's almost as the goldie got stuck to say..look, I don't like this thing, it's dangerous, get it out of my house!!!!

Well, that's the problem with a lot of the plastic ornaments. They are designed to appeal to US, not the fish. I haven't seen a plastic bubble blowing castle appearing in a river/pond/lake/ocean naturely, yet. ;-) :-D

That is good. Captk is right, alot of decorations are marketed towards us and not the fish. Too bad too, some of them are cute.

I am glad that the fish seem happier, happy fish help to keep them healthy too.

Archived