3 Weeks Without Food?

Guest PetalFlower

Guest PetalFlower

It seems like a lot of people, including myself are traveling soon, or have recently and are concerned about feeding their fish.

I read somewhere recently that goldfish can survive for 3 WEEKS without food? Is that true? How could that be?

If they could survive that long, I can't imagine it would be very happily!

I know they can go a week easily without food, but I don't think I would do it much longer. I have never been away and had no one to feed my fish, so I do not know from experience. Hopefully someone that has done it can comment.

Guest PetalFlower

Here it is, what do you think?

http://mike-edwardes.members.beeb.net/Cauratus.html#10

Is claiming this:

What should I do with my fish when I go on vacation?

If your vacation is less than three weeks - nothing! Most importantly, do not attempt to feed them heavily just before you go away and never, ever use vacation feeding blocks sold by petshops. Excess food will just rot and possibly kill your fish. Cold-blooded animals such as fish can go for long periods without food - this is a natural part of their wild existence. To prepare for a vacation, feed your fish a normal, varied diet and perform a partial waterchange a couple of days before you go away. If you have lights on your tank(s), put them on an electronic timer. When you get home, resume your normal feeding and maintenance routine.

If your vacation is for more than three weeks, it's best to get someone to keep an eye on your fish - but don't expect them to be as good at it as you are. Leave BRIEF, clear written instructions. Measure out appropriate single portions of food and leave them by the tank or in the freezer (as appropriate) in separate containers clearly labeled and dated when they are to be used. Hide the fishfood so that your fishsitter is not tempted to give them a bit more because they looked hungry. Feed sparingly when you are away as there will be no water changes done during this time - your fish will not starve.

I've heard from many different places that they can survive that long without food... but it doesn't mean that they'll be happy or healthy. They'd be fine for a few days but weeks... no way. :blink:

Guest PetalFlower

That's kinda what I was thinking. Yeah, sure, they might be able to survive for that long, but how happily. I mean think of it in a another perspective; would you leave your dog at home for no food for a week just because he could technically survive that long without food? I don't think so.

But, aslo as touchofsky said I'm more worried about coming home to lifeless little bodies laying at the bottom of the tank. :cry1 I shudder just thinking of it!

I have heard bad things about the automatic feeders, but I have never actually used one personally.

If you do chose to get one and use it, I would try it out when you're home and see how it goes. :)

If you do get someone to come in and check ont he fish while you are gone - maybe to feed twice a week only - be sure to pre-measure, sort and label the food for each feeding! THat would really help avoid any mistakes.

I once left my cat to be fed by a friend for a week and my friend forgot how much he was supposed to feed the cat - (I shoulda written it down!) - amd when I came home the cat had been fed one month's worth of food in one week! He was sooooo fat! But, the worse part, was getting him off of expecting that much food and losing the weight. :yikes

We have all heard the horror stories here about overfed fish while away! :(

But, I agree, one wekk of no food is fine - although gf are "built" to hibernate in winter and can go for months in those conditions without food - an aqaurium fish is not hibernating in your tank! If I lived near you, I would come feed him! :heart

Archived