Sign in to follow this  
Graham

Graham Is Sick!

Wow! I think that is a good possibility! I switched to Metro-Meds a few days ago while I have been waiting for new filter pads - as soon as I get off here, they are gettting a WC, new filter pads, caniuster clean, and a new in-line heater. Then, I will add another dose of Prazi...

Graham lost three scales! I don't know what is going on but he is not totally well and yet he does not appear to be in dire straits... I just hope this doesn't suddenly turn.... The poopy is still the same, copious, long, stringy, and clear to white.

I know the "sausage with no filling" poo your talking about. Its a normal part of their digestive system. They are constantly creating and expelling slime from the lining of their intestinal tract. This is why poo stays in its tubular form, for a while, after it has been expelled from the fish. Oh, I say its normal ONLY if the fish has not eaten in the past 8-12 hours.

This is very helpful... maybe the tract is sloughing off at an accelerated rate if he is clearing a bug? :idont I will watch to see excatly when and how often this is happening because it does seem to occur between feedings. I will try to get more detail on the nature of this... Thanks for all your help! Happy Thanksgiving! :)

Edited by Graham

Missing some scales, huh? :o

Well, I think that at this point, it would be wise for you to aquire a microscope for checking to see if parasites are involved. I know its a bit expensive but your tank could easily be harboring chilodonella, trichodina or tetrahymena. They do not need your fish to survive. They can eat dead and decaying matter in the filter, wich is their main source of food anyway. Of course, other parasite could be possible but you'll NEVER know until you check it out.

Paul

You can get metronidazole from Dr foster & smith also in water born medication form also. Yes, I'd go for a dose of both water & medicated food in regards to the hex. This is one I would suspect like Paul. Its also a note on my costia section from the wet lab. Doc say's: if costia doesn't clear easily with formalin, then look to Hexamita...... which can be both internal and external. <_<

I'm glad to hear that GN appears to be improving and wish you both all the best with his recovery. :)

Hi! I switched the medicated food to Metro-Meds just less than a week ago and waited while I pondered the scope suggestion (not whether to get one but HOW - hmmm - ask for X-mas early?)...

In the mean time, the holiday kept me very busy with cooking and guests - which was good because I had to give the metromeds some time to take effect... and

THEY WORKED! We have normal poopy again! :D Luckily, I ordered some Metronidazole to treat the tank on saturday... it should be here by wednesday.

Tam and Toothless - thanks for all the help! I am listening! If this does not work (but I think it will), then I will look into formalin or PP dips - I just wnated to hold off on formalin as long as possible.

BUT, I cleaned the filter and did something incredibly stupid, flooding the place and almost shorting out all my equipment! :( NOTE TO SELF: if you are incredibly tired, sleep first, then clean tank - it can wait until morning if the alternative is destroying your house and risking your fish! :stupid:

THis is the really dumb part - all that debris that floating around in the tank - well some of it was GN stringy poop but the majority of it was - filter tubing! DIRTY!

NOTE TO SELF - clean canister once a month - minimum! I have only had it for about three months and the instructions said once every six months cleaning - so I figured for GF, that meant every three months... well, it looks like at least once a month! I ordered the brushes for the tubes and we will sort that out this weekend.

Toothless - how dod you know my filter was so dirty?!?!?!

So, back to square one - I have returned to being a newbie! :lol:

OK - so, yucky filter = sick fish! OK - you would think I would have learned this by now! I am still pushing the Grahamling to the edge :crp Poor guy! I hope I get better (again) at this soon. Hopefully, the metro and the clean filter - added to which there is a spiffy new external heater (now I can raise the temp to combat disease) will end this lingering malaise. BTW - Jean is still perfectly fine!

PS - Hi Fishmerised! GN thanks you for your thoughts - we are glad to see you around!

Edited by Graham

Good to hear GN is doing much better. :D If all is well, then I'd take a breather. Lets not subject to meds if there's no need to. Too many meds in a row can set you and fish back a step or two. Formalin can be pretty harsh on its own also.

Yes, a microscope is pretty nice to have. :D That would be a nice Christmas gift!

:D

That's great he is responding to the metromeds. :)

Cannisters are a pain to clean and it's impossible to check their condition without pulling them apart. I usually do mine every 3 months.

I'm not psychic or anything, I just have a keen ability to work out logic problems. Diagnosing sick fish online is pretty hard to do, so powers of deduction become much more finely tuned when trying to do so. :exactly

I tried many times to justify buying a canister filter for my 55 gallon and I just can't seem to. My penguin 330's are still doing WAAAAY too great a job of keeping everything spic and span while maintaining a large bio-base. Truly my favorite filters ever. ;)

Good luck with Jean and GN. Keep us updated! :D

You know the old saying Paul, "If it ain't broke - don't fix it". :) Unfortunately, they don't appear to sell Penguins over here.

Edited by Fishmerised

I looked into power filters originally but the problem is they don't fit! They are too big! There is only one spot I can fit this tank in my tiny house... so I had to go canister - it is not too bad, the maintenance - I just didn't know - I am getting more experienced now!

Well, I have given every med I can, I cannot get a scope, and I cannot seem to make him get better :cry1 I have this terrible feeling that he is dying very slowly...

I am going to stop the medicated food as it does not seem to helping (white poo is back) - there just doesn't seem to any point now - esp. since it is contributing to his flaoty problems. One less problem will help a lot right now, I hope...

I have really bitten the bullet (hey, that is what credit is for, right) and ordered another filter - the Eheim 2252 Internal filter - I hope it will fit in the tank - I just really did not want to take space from the tank - I hope increased filtration will help. Until my husband's job gets sorted out, there is no new tank and no new scope in sight - hopefully in February or March.

I am begging the gods that he will get better! And Jean will stay well!

Guest becky

Aww, Graham. I am sorry that GN is not back to normal yet. It is so hard to do everything possible and not see them getting better. You have certainly done everything in your power and hopefully he just needs a little more time to recuperate. Maybe the new filter will help.

Sending positive vibes your way for GN's recovery.

:flowers:hug

Aww I'm sorry Jules :hug

Okay, thinking outside the box. Does Jean stress Graham out in any way? I think floating and white poop can be a sign of stress too. My goldfish shove eachother around the tank during feeding time.

Anything else besides disease that could be causing this?

Edited by Kissy