Sign in to follow this  
Graham

Graham Is Sick!

Haven't read this thread in a couple of days (been kinda busy with parasites over here :( ) but I'm soooo glad to hear Graham passed his physical!!

Hang in there!! You are doing a great job with him!! :heart

Guest JustJayde

Yay for physicals and passing them with flying fishie colors!

keep us posted :)

Boy am I glad that graham is doing well! :D You've been soooooo diligent about all this that it makes perfect sense that he (or she?) is still thriving! :heart

I just wanted to point out that columnaris does not set-in overnight. Saprolegnia CAN though. I've seen entire fish covered with sap fungus while the fish was still alive and swimming! :o Sap looks like a fine white fuzz that looks like some molds we see on food. In fact, if you have ever seen fish-food grow a fine white fuzz on it, THATS saprolegnia. Columnaris take much more time to set-in and begin to spread. Columnaris can spread internally by way of the gills if left unchecked. Columnaris looks like a matting of excess slime (scuzzy, matted look) and generally confines itself to the sides of the fish and around the base of the dorsal fin. Just as columnaris is making its bid for internal infection, you should see off-white "threads blowing in and out of the mouth as the fish breathes. The cure for columnaris is erythromycin (Maracyn 1 or E.M. tablets). Sap can be cured by several vectors, but not antibiotics.

How about some recent pics of the famous Graham Norton? :huh:

I am glad Graham is still hanging in there! You are doing a wonderful job taking care of him (?).

You helped me so much last night, I really appreciate it, and so do my fish, and I wish I could help you as well.

I would love to see some pics of Graham as well!

Thanks everyone!

Just as columnaris is making its bid for internal infection, you should see off-white "threads blowing in and out of the mouth as the fish breathes.

Toothless - thanks - I can now safely say it is prolly no internal columnaris and like TiO mentioned, prolly debris in the tank rotting - I hope so!

I am feeling really discouraged right now - after many overhauls and changes to get everything right, five of my killfish have disappeared! Fafner has an in fection from the anacharis I put in his tank (and now removed), all my new plants had to be thrown away - dead,

AND Graham just spit his food out!

I am so worried. It was a piece of gel food! so it was soft. He is really supposed to be eating medicated food but he wouldn't come to the top to be hand fed... so I let him have a bit of gel food. He sucked up a big piece but spit it out like two minutes later! I cannot get the tank to look clear although I do WC twice a week and the params are fine... this is all very depressing and I feel like I am not doing a very good job. :(

Edited by Graham

Oh Graham I think we need to get together and "drown" our fish sorrows in something--chocolate? ice cream? chocolate ice cream?

Sorry to hear about Graham not wanting to eat!! I know how you feel as i thought my Dorothy was finally beating this parasite thing and then BOOM today the symptoms are back on the rise.

Hang in there, girl. You are doing every thing right and Graham is so lucky to ahve you for a fish mommy!!

Keep up the great work. :bighug

Poor Graham..I wish we could just figure out what is going with him/her!! :hug

Thanks for the info, Paul. I've seen a few threads about fish being diagnosed with columnaris after sudden fuzziness (in less than 48 hours, usually 12-24) all over the body and dieing. Are these fish being diagnosed wrong?

Yes. Sap can inundate a fish overnight if the water quality is left to go bad. pH crashes and/or very high nitrItes and ammonia and/or excessive amounts of crud in the water are the main ways sap kicks a fish so fast.

Here's a good pic of sap: saprolegnia.jpg (note that the rods grow directly outward from the infection site)

Here's a page with an example of misidentification (no disrespect to GPS): http://goldfishparadise.com/forum/phpBB2/v...t=2040&start=20 (note that the rods grow directly out from the infection site)

Here's columnaris: http://www.flippersandfins.net/flexibacter.htm (note that the rods DO NOT grow directly out from the infection site, instead, they lay down and form more of a matted look.

Well, I wonder if parasites are part of the problem. You might very well have a protozoan infection going on. That would certainly explain why Graham's behavior has been so erratic from day, to day, week to week. :huh:

Well, I wonder if parasites are part of the problem. You might very well have a protozoan infection going on. That would certainly explain why Graham's behavior has been so erratic from day, to day, week to week.

Well, it is funny that you say that - they were both a little bit twitchy the other day so I was thinking a dose of Prazi wouldn't hurt - won't do any harm and it might do some good! I will do that first thing tomorrow morning! Afternoon, rather.

Thanks for all the links! very helpful and generous! I think we definitely rule out sap! That's a relief! The good news is, Graham's poopy is getting better! he ate his Medi-Gold like a good boy, BOY! He is going to be a boy whether he likes it or not! It seems to be helping - I wish I had done it sooner. The poop isn't normal yet but certainly better... *fingers crossed and knocking wood*!

BTW - i can't find the free ammonia from the tap figure I wrote down... I can't remember what I decided it read... I will do it again tomorrow and post it!

I am glad you aksed for a picture - I just took these and it made me feel a little bit better.

Here he is! The gorgeous, the fabulous, the incomparable Graham Norton!

DSCF1731.jpg

DSCF1743.jpg

DSCF1742.jpg

DSCF1751.jpg

And here's one of the little ham - he looks like a ham and he acts like one, too!

He's just too cute and he loves having his picture taken - he would feel left out if I didn't show him off! We are finally getting closer now that I am not so scared that he will suffers Jean Lafitte's fate...

DSCF1729.jpg

Jean le Blanc is in the habit of eating poo - but he doesn't spit it back out! :icecream

Edited by Graham

Guest JustJayde

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww great pics hun!

lol @ JLB bein a goof

GN , handsome boy!

Wonderful pics! Graham's tail is so long and flowey I love it :heart Your froghead looks like a rolly polly ball of silliness lol.

Is your killi tank full covered? Maybe Wallace (that's your cat's name, right?) is taking advantage of his present..

Ohh I was just checking up on your thread about GN... I was so scared when I heard -H-e wasn't eating, but then I read your most recent post and even his poops are looking better!!! Hooray!!!

I promised some photos of my little Blue for GN to peruse and I've finally got my photobucket account up and running, so here they are...

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d191/Tos...in_Oz/Blue3.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d191/Tos...in_Oz/Blue2.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d191/Tos..._in_Oz/Blue.jpg

She's about 12 months old and her tail is getting longer and longer. I love the way she spreads it out on the sand while she's sleeping, she's an elegant little princess this one. got bashed up by all the boys a few months ago so I put her in with Lil while she was in QT, but once she healed up I put her back in with the boys, I think she was on heat at that point, and the boys were being roughians. She seems off season at the moment so she's safe for now!!!

Guest Chishower

Thats men for you, they catch wind of a lady and go all crazy... :D

Graham, GN looks so handsom! I love his fins, and his eyes. I don't think he would look as good in black, personally. Orange is definatly his color. And that has to be the most adorable picture of Jean... :heart:heart:heart

Glad to hear he is doing better. :)

Yayyayyay! New pics of Graham! What a beauty! I hope the Prazi does the trick and gets him back into tip top shape again quickly. Thanks for the pictures! :-)

Guest JustJayde

LOL wow GN is gunna have such a pretty GF!

look at those sexy fins! ;)

Really, she is a beauty!

Man they would have the cutest. babies. ever.

How is GN doing this week ?

WoW! Graham sure felt better when he saw Princess (if he is a girl then, well, he still has good taste)! Princess sure is a beauty! Wow - he would be so lucky to have a GF like her! But, he is such a gentleman (never eats poo :rolleyes: ) that he would win her over in a heartbeat! :heart He would never rough her up! (The TANK - aka Jean le Blanc aka Sherman (As in tank) - might roll over her but only by accident - he is a spud)!

Well, poopies are improving but we has a lot of cast debris in the tank this morning, too! I wish it would stop... it make s the tanka wreck and I have to get all of it by hand before the GOAT eats it! Water change this morning went went well. Graham id definnitleya cting normal! No flipping, no hanging at the top, no abdo swelling for a few days - he is very perky and swimming around all over!

I gave Prazi yestereday but HAD to do a WC today so I will dose again in two days and leave it in for three. I don't know if it helped... but it didn't hurt.

I am hoping that as I continue with the Medi-Gold, the casts will decrease and only normal poopy will come out. Also,, Graham looks like his bright and shiney self again! (He had been looking matte and dull and not so flaming orange).

THanks everyone for checking in ans keeping an eye on GN! Off to the store for some Maracyn Plus - two of my killis fish reappeared! Looking a little rough - I will post there. :D

I am so glad graham is feeling better! Nothing like a pretty lady to get the old blood flowing!

I have a question though...what is cast debris? Sorry to ask a question in your post, but I am just curious.

I hope things continue to improve!

Yippeee!! Looks like your hard work is paying off!! And that girlfriend of his is a real looker. :D I agree they would have beautiful babies.

Keep up the great work!!

Assuming that no news is good news? How is Mr. Norton?

Hey Jen! So good of you to ask! I have not followed up lately since, as you put it so well, "no news is good news"! But I was thinking of adding a little update tonight so you have prompted me, thanks!

I know Graham was not feeling well now (hindsight *sigh*) because he has noticeably gained weight and is looking shiney again! (he was looking rather lackluster before). Now that he has improved, I am certain he really was struggling with something. He is swimming around much more freely and normally now!

The only thing is his poopy problem is not fully resolved - although I noticed the first incremental improvement today since the last time I posted! :yay: The poopy has improved by another level, although it is still not normal and healthy. Closer.

I have been feeding Medi-Gold for one and 1/4 weeks - we will continue to 2 1/2 weeks and if the situation is stabel, continue with it. If it has not changed or not improved, we will continue with medicated food but Metro-Meds instead. Any thoughts that? Maybe it will speed things up a bit... :idont

He has occasional minor instances of floatiness easily reveresed by peas. Jean does not have this problem. It seems to happen at water changes...??!?!?!!?!?!?

Since GN eats the medicated food by hand, Jean is on a normal diet of Mazuri and spirulina... with the odd med-pellet that GN misses.

Jean le Blanc is humming along just fine - completely unperturbed by anything that might be bothering Graham - compleltey oblivious to anything but eating! he even chomps on GN's tail, by accident, now and again. He really is quite funny!

Thanks for checking in everyone - I can honestly say we have a significant improvement now! *KNOCK ON WOOD* I will proudly announce the very first normal poopy I see - I am sure you all cannot wait! :tomuch:

BTW -

I have a question though...what is cast debris? Sorry to ask a question in your post, but I am just curious.

"Debris" is the term I used to refer to casts in he tank and "casts" are, well, like something sloughed off... some of GN's poopy looks more like the casings of sausage without the filling... like, when he eats, he has semi-normal poop (some food waste included) but if he has not eaten, he still goes poopy - i.e. extrudes material - often and regularly, but it is clear and empty, it is wide and it breaks upo easily creating debris - basically junk - clouding and dirtying the tank.

Does this ring bells with anyone?

:o GN is floating right now - gotta give him peas...

I know the "sausage with no filling" poo your talking about. Its a normal part of their digestive system. They are constantly creating and expelling slime from the lining of their intestinal tract. This is why poo stays in its tubular form, for a while, after it has been expelled from the fish. Oh, I say its normal ONLY if the fish has not eaten in the past 8-12 hours.

I think that switching to metro-meds, for two weeks, could be a good thing. Graham could have hexamita or spironucleus. Emaciation is one of the main symptoms with hex and spiro. It can sometimes cause erratic swimming like backing up and flapping their gills and minor flashing or darting, if they are free-living in the tank somewhere (yep, free living, parasitic flagellates). Hex/spiro has even been linked to some kinds of dropsy with pineconing and pop-eye. This is when they have made their way to the kidneys wich regulates osmoregulation.

Because hex/spiro can be free-living, it might be a good idea to try dosing the water with dimetronidazole (National fish pharmacuticals) as well as feeding metro-meds. Careful though, cause metronidazole, being classified as an antibiotic, CAN cause a small set-back in your bio-filter. "However, if you have a strong colony of beneficial bacteria going, You might not see any difference at all. Prime will easily take care of any rising ammonia or nitrItes.

I'm not saying that GN DOES have hexa/spiro, but the possibility is indeed there. ;)