Fish Feeding Stress!

Christine A.

Hi there,

I am looking for advice on how to properly feed my fish, not so much about quality but about technique :blink:

I feed my 2 lionheads Pro-gold (presently medi-gold as one has been sick) and peas or gel food. While they have no problems with the slow sinking peas and gel food it is very difficult for me to feed the pellets to one fiash in particular. He doesnt seem to see the pellets sinking and they sink so quickly that he is then unable to find them. This has become quite stressful as when I am on my way to work first thing in the morning I can't supervise to see who finds what and how much each one is getting. i

I have seen pics of aquariums with actual plates in them where the food is placed. Is this a better idea? Is any plate safe? Meaning can some leach toxins?

I really need some good advice - if anyone out there has experience with this I'd greatly appreciate any input you may have!

Thanks in advance! :D

Hi!

Take a look at this link re using a dish:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...?showtopic=8779

Also, can you feed the fish the pellets when you have a chance to watch them? Alternate - give them the gel food in the morning when you leave, then the pellets in the evening when you have a chance to monitor them.

I have seen people use glass or terracotta plates. Laura has given you some excellent ideas, but would it be possible to change your routine in the morning and make sure that the one who doesn't see the food good get his? Just another thought.

Thanks for the suggestions! I will definitely try the plate method.

I also agree that changing my routine would help. The problem I have right now is that because one of them is sick I need to be feeding them the medigold pellets. I think it has thrown them off a bit in the sense that they are used to seeing the chunks of green (gel food or peas that I have been feeding for some time) slowly drifting to the bottom of the tank. Now they are suddenly bombarded with little brown "torpedos" ! :rolleyes:

I am only on day 3 of the medicated food so I think the dish technique will help me out in the meantime. Then the green stuff in the morning and pellets at night seems like a good plan! :D

Thanks guys!

I use the plate method and it works quite well. i only have 2 fish in the tank so I use 2 tubes on opposite ends of the tank. After a few feedings like this, they figured out to each go to one plate. once they are at their respective plates I lift the tube and those pellets are gone in seconds. Another nice thing about doing it this way is you can feed them according to size. I give my bigger fish a few more pellets than the smaller fish. Works great. Good luck with it!

Hi - I just had this problem myself - all the aforementioned suggestions are great! I am feeding my visually challenged one by hand now - it is fun and it is helping a lot. Just wanted to throw another suggestion your way!

How is the feeding going so far? :)

Thanks everyone for all the great advice!

I have been trying with the plates and they still haven't gotten used to them although one, after about 10 minutes, found the pellets and gulped them all up! The other one, who has been sick but still very active took longer and I gave in and dropped them in by hand right in front of his nose so he would definitely see them and it's really important that he eats his medi-gold right now. I still don't have the tubes yet so I drop the pellets in by hand.

I think once things have improved I will also add the pellets to the gel food - I had tried this before but it somehow ended up with all the pellets on one side! :blink: So half the lump of gel food had no pellets in it at all! This was my first try so hopefully I'll have better luck next time! :D

Has anyone ever gone away (I will be going on vacation in December for 2 weeks) and had someone care for their fish hile using the plate method of feeding? I am wondering if it will be too complicated to explain to someone who never had fish :unsure: which unfortunately is the only person I can get to look after them at that time.

Thanks again guys for all your help!

Christine

Has anyone ever gone away (I will be going on vacation in December for 2 weeks) and had someone care for their fish hile using the plate method of feeding? I am wondering if it will be too complicated to explain to someone who never had fish  :unsure:   which unfortunately is the only person I can get to look after them at that time.

Thanks again guys for all your help!

Christine

415575[/snapback]

I was concerned about that too. But as I think daryl suggested in another post on having someone else feed your fish, if it's possible I would just have who ever is going to feed them while you're gone come over a few times and watch you do it. Also, only leave out the food you want them fed--you could use those pill containers that have the days of the week marked on them and put their food in there. Then hide the rest to avoid overfeeding. Also suggested by someone (esp if no one will be doing a water change while you're gone) is to feed lightly while you are gone to try and keep nitrates at a reasonable level.

Give it some time. Once you have the tubes you'll have a little more control over who gets what. They will figure it out!! :yeah:

My techique is this: I drop in the flakes (which they are wiggling for like they haven't eaten in a week....actually only from night before!) Then I sprinkle in a pinch of sinking crumbles & a pellet or two. I feel that gives them some "treasure" to find later when they are poking around.

Plus fish can smell & find food that way!

Archived