Hurricane Is Comming

BuriedAlive55

Ok so I guess this storm is really going to come here. I was wondering anyone knew what all I should be doing to protect my fish?

Ok I am looking into getting the back up filter systems. becasue I kno u have to keep the water circulating and keep it as clean as possible....but what else I mean I am freaking...I have worked soo hard to keep my fish healthy and now some storm is comming and could kill everyone of them!!

HELP ME PLEASE!!!

for hurricane rita we were out of power for two days, i used a cup and took some water out and poured it back in to keep some air going, they all came through fine, but of course that was just for two days. that doesn't solve the filter problem, but it helps with the air.

Get as much water in jugs as you can for them...if the power goes out they'll need the water. If you have a spare tank, fill it and keep it handy, just in case. YOu could wrap the sides of your aquarium in bubble wrap and other paddings just in case something comes along that could break the aquarium. If you can move it to the safest part of the house..probably where you are if your staying. If you have a small generator you can hook that up to the filter and such to keep the water good.

I'm sure there are other things you can do...other members that have been throught this with their fish should be able to pitch in some ideas.

Gosh, good luck getting throught this. Hurricanes are scary things, I know I've actually been through one, Hurricane Andrew. I was only five but I remember the sound, the wind and all the other stuff that went on, it still scares me to think about it.

Best of Luck to ya :goodluck

Thank u soo much for the advice. Well, I have 2 55 gal. I plan on putting all my goldies (4) into the new 55gal. I will keep the 2 10 gal I have filled with water then. And the water u keep in the jugs is this treated water? Ok what if the power is out for a week (like what happened to me w Charlie) If the filter is unable to keep going what do I need to do? Do I have to do water changes daily? I am just worrieda bout the ammonia and stuff posiing my fish..all the tank are in good locations and are safe. and I plan on makeing sure they are reinforced. I am just really worrieda bout the poisons in the water?????

Thank u both soo much for ur advice! I kno I am trying not to freak and keep calm but inaide I am like screaming with Charlie I lost power for 7 days in the hottest point of summer! So I was dying. I didn't have fish then so all I had to worrie about was my pups and kitties. I am like clueless when it comes to protecting my fishies who aren't incline to save themselves

DO you have a gravel vac? If you do take some filter floss stuff and tie it to the end and just run the water through it. Its was on a post made a while back...here it is:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=36319

Your circumstances will be a little different but it should help if you loose power for too long.

The biggest problems you have to deal with are water quality and air exchange.

HAving as much water on hand that you can use to change out the water is important, for you may have a compromised water system for a number of days, weeks or months. You can make it for days, possibly a week or two with planning. I would suggest you stash water for yourself and the fish in every possible place. Buckets, the bathtub, bottles, tupperware tubs, containers of any sort. You will want fresh water.

If in doubt, there are also passive filters you can buy that require no power to biologically filter water so that it is safe for you to drink. If it is safe for you, the fish can use it too. I have one that does a gallon an hour - and will filter out down to a very good quality of water for up to 1000 gallons in polluted waters. This would allow you to last a while longer.

I would lay in a supply of Prime or Amquel+ or some such ammonia/nitrite binder. This can be used to keep the water quality better for a longer period of time without water changes. It never hurts to have some bleach - for you, and to sterilized water. A chlorine remover is important to have then, but the sterilized water can be cleared of chlorine and becomes drinkable and useful for fish.

There are battery backup air pumps that are about $10. at many pet stores. These will run an airstone in your tank for as long as you have batteries for them. A 55 gallon tank would need at least 2 - at each end. If you get one - lay in a supply of the proper kind of battery needed - mine take C cells.

Feed very little food - cut the food down to only once every 2-3 days and only the minimum needed. Less in means less out. I would take the filter media out of a stagnant filter and drop it to the bottom of the tank. This will keep it wet and fairly viable - it should bounce back as soon as you get power for the filter back again. You do not want media sitting without oxygen in the bottomof a filter or cannister.

With any luck, this storm will miss you and/or be a transitory thing.

Best of Luck......

id be worried about things flying into the tank, id probably build a big shed thing to put over each tank lol, could you do that? oh like one of those huge tea boxes?

good Luck, hope everyone makes it :)

That is a great idea!! Thank u soo much. OK Q tho how does the bleach thing work? U can like put bleach in w ur fish wouldn't it kill them. I mean I kno u can steralize items and such with it. but how do u use it in water?

Will the fish be ok only being fed every few days becasue i feed my guys 2 times a day and they still act like i never feed them. I also have trobical fish not just goldies?

OK so stock up water!! VIP

get prime and aquel or any ammona killing stuff

a bat operated air stone for oxygen

poss bubble wrap to wrap tanks in.

Is thie all correct?

To sterilize drinking/fish/pet water with bleach, you will need plain bleach - no additives - no lemon smells, whiteners, brighteners, etc.

This common bleach can be used to kill germs in water, but will not kill tuberculosis germs and many types of giardia (common nasty protozoa) - it will render most contaminated water drinkable in the absence of the ability to properly filter or boil the water. You can "super chlorinate" your water and take care of any of these problems also, but the water must be treated further. Hydrogen Peroxide can clear the chlorine, but for fish use, I would suggest using a strong de-chlorinator treatment sold for fish water treatment.

To sterilize water, add 1/2 tsp. to 5 gallons of water if it is clear water - not brown or black or gray (or 8 drops of chlorine bleach to each gallon of clear water) or 1 tsp. to 5 gallons of water if the water is cloudy. Stir or throughly mix and allow the water to sit at least 30 minutes. If water does not have a slight chlorine odor (VERY SLIGHT), repeat the dosage and let stand for 15 minutes. Be sure to sterilize and clean your water container, its lid, spout, funnel too for they will be contaminated if they have come into contact with the dirty water. If the water is really cloudy, you can pass it through coffee filters, t-shirts etc. to pre-filter it.

Clear Water

Amount of Bleach

One Quart 2 drops

One Gallon 8 drops

5 Gallons 1/2 teaspoon

Cloudy Water

Amount of Bleach

One Quart 4 drops

One Gallon 16 drops

5 Gallons 1 teaspoon

You can find good water stored in your water heater if you need extra water.

The storm is slowing - and there will be no 40-50 foot waves. The water and rain will be a problem, but, unless you live very close to the shore, your worst problem is going to be lack of power and supplies.

Best of luck. You can do this. It will be fine. Just think it all through carefully - you have every bit of knowledge you need, you just need to remember it when needed.

I know you will be fine as will all your fishes...... :hug

Guest Bigphil

I'm sorry I can' give any advice about your fish but I do wont to wish you the best through the hurricane.

living in england the worst I've been through was delivering milk in a storm of 86mph winds. that was pretty scary but I can't emagine a hurricane!

stay safe and good luck to you and your family. :heart

Oh dear!! I see you have gotten lots of excellent advice and since I am fairly new to goldfish keeping and have never *knocks on wood* had a power outage since I've had my fish, I can't add to the great advice you've already gotten.

I just wanted to let you know I am thinking of you and your fish!! Good luck and PLEASE keep us posted on the situation!! Be safe and take care!

My suggestion is also to keep a big bottle of Prime on hand - Daryl and everyone else has mentioned anything I could think of - and much more - so all I can say now that I wish you and your fish and family all the very best. Hopefully, Wilma will calm sown and you will all be safe. :heart

Here's a link to a article by Lee B, moderator at Koivet. The article has been published in a koi magazine as well as presented to club meetings. The article is titled "Surviving the storm". Lee lives in Florida......

http://www.koivetforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17837

I hope many will find it useful... :D

Are you talking about Wilma? I just saw a snippet in the paper today about how it is supposed to be the fiercest storm in the Atlantic's recorded history...

Good luck to you and your fish, and please stay safe.

:heart yOU GUYS HAVE TO BE THE MOST AMAZING PEOPLE I HAVE EVER MET!! Thank u soo much for all ur warm wishes and thoughts and prayers!!! :heart

I am sorta worried about the storm, But I feel like were I live it like not anywhere near any water. So i am worried about maybe a little flooding and also loosing power. This isn't my first hurricane I was here when Charlie hit. And it was horrible I mean the storm was nothing it was just the after math that was brutal. We lost power fo 7 days in the middle of the hottest summer months. so we were dying. We lived in an appt then and we fared pretty well, I mean like 3 appt were distroyed!! But we were in the middle so we were fine.

Now we live in a house, and it is an older home but I figured it faied well thew Charlie and Andrew so we shall see....I was just scared becasue I have enough problems as it is with a dirty tank and keeping it clean. I was just flippen on the though of loosing power and then not having them filter to help with the ammona and such. So I am like I need to consult the experts!! I just have a feeling I should be ok we are prepared, we have gas exc...and the weather is accually cooler. So I don"t think it will be to hot! And i promise I will get on as soon as it is over and post what happened and let u know how ur tips help!!!

:heart Thank u guys sooo much!! u have helped me more than u will ever kno!! I have the confadence to get thew this!!! THANK YOU !! :heart

I also had hurricane problems, with Katrina and then Rita. Was out of power a few days with each one. We wanted to get a generator but so did everyone else, and the whole town was out of them. The next best thing is a power inverter. This was an absolute lifesaver for my fish. I believe they would have had serious problems without this.0040621790929_LG.jpg

I know they sell them at Sams and nnnnnn. Basically all you need is some good thick extension cords, power strips and a car with a good battery. You hook the inverter up to the car and run the extension cords in the house, with power strips connected to the cords and Voila!! Instant power. Every couple of hours or so, you should start the car and let it run for 15 minutes or so, as to not drain your car battery. Depending on the wattage of the inverter, you could run the filters, air pump and heater if needed. So the bigger the wattage the better. I was able to run my tank and dvd/tv player, it was a godsend.

Here is a link to give you an idea on what it looks like and such.Power Inverter If you do get one, make sure it has the connector/jumper cable things on the inverter so you can hook it right up to the car, it was very easy to do. If you do get one that cant run everything at one time, you can always unplug one thing, put in another, and swap around. Good luck with everything BuriedAlive, hope it all works out for you.

my aunt is over from florida at the moment, she lives in Ft lauderdale, shes just hoping that there will still be a roof on her house when she gets home in a couple of weeks :unsure: shes quite near the sea isnt she? near miami.. will she get flooded?

Yeah, those power inverters are awesome! I got Jon one at Target for his birthday a couple years ago, and he uses it for all kinds of stuff. Good call Susu!

Wait a sec...... THE Susu? Have you been gone awhile??!!

Archived