Do Antibiotics Help Sbd?

Guest Gayle

Hello, I'm new to this and desparate. On Sun 16th I was given a fish to "Put out of her misery" as the owner couldn't face it. But I thought there must be a way to help which led me to your site.

This little Miss - a gold & white comet - has been living in a 2 gal bucket. I thought she was egg bound as she is belly-up on the bottom. She is incredibly swollen in the abdomen. She is calm and attempting to swim when I talk to her.

At first I tried massage until reading your advice that it would actualy do more harm.

Sun/Mon I had her in the epsom salts for 10 mins twice a day. She passed 6 inches long of pink then blue then clear. She would have eaten some pink & blue floating food. Tues I didn't feed her. Wednesday I fed cooked pea but I don't know if she ate any as I had put her in a 20 gal bucket with 3 other comets between 3 - 4inches long.

This is a temporary measure while I fix a pond up. They have a mixture of rain water and tap water (chlorinated but NZ water is still very drinkable from the tap.)

Iam now sure my Miss must have SBD. I've put her in the Epsom Salt bucket with no food. a couple of drops of Melafix and little bit of antibiotic.

Does anyone know if antibiotics help?

Tonight she looks the same, still belly-up on the bottom unless she makes the effort to swm when I go near and talk to (her?)

If it is SBD antibiotics wont do anything seeming SBD is not an infection of any sort, its just too much air in the fish (or to little) so they can't maintain their balance. Fast her for a couple of days, then feed peas for a couple days then fast her agian. If this helps great, if not it might be severe SBD and that cannot be fixed. Dont Worry though! If it is permenant she can still live a decent life, she just needs to be seperated and a close eye kept on her...quality of life will be an issue so you need to make the call on this one. Kudos for taking the time to check it out before doing what her previous owner gave her to you to do.

Tips: Get her some sinking pellets, they have less air in them and the fish doesn't have to go to the surface to et them so less air gets inside your fishs GI tract. Less air = better balance. Also soak whatever food you give her for a couple minutes in a dish with tank water. This gets rid of as much air as can possibly be gotten out without pulverizing the food.

Just soaking the food and feeding sinking food might help a bit after the fasting and pea feeding is done.

:welcome

Very good "jake"!! You will also need to keep an eye on the water params of tank, bucket or whatever she is in.

Please post those as to we can help you to fine tune them to reach perfect water to help give her the best chance possible.

Thanks Jake & Laurie. I changed the water today and put in more Epsom salts, Malafix and antibiotic. She has not been fed. If as you say it is probably uncurable I don't soo how she can live happily with most of the time belly-up. But she is certainly a battler!

The owner admitted to me that she's been getting fatter for a few months.

I'll quit the antibiotics. Will feed her pea later today and see what happens.

I'll get a test kit for the water. Seems she will need her own little tank inside instead of out in the ponds.

I have 40 other goldfish perfectly well and happy outside in concrete ponds with a pump and plenty of rain. Yesterday we got 49mm.

Gayle

Archived