Taking A Trip.

Ruffledmumkin

I noticed someone had posted that they had taken a trip and had their neighbor care for their fish. Well my problem is I'm going away for a week, and have no one to care for my fish. I just moved here not too long ago, so I don't know anyone. I have a pond, a small tank in the kitchen, and several tanks of fish in qt in my workshop. By the time I leave, I will probable have even more fish in tanks, since it is starting to get a little cool at night. I have a couple tropicals in my pond, and some snails, so they can't handle the cool weather. I think a week would be too long not to feed them. So what should I do? I'm really worried about them.

You know I wonder why no one ever mentions those weekend feeder things here. Have you seen those in the pet section? Its usually like a white seashell, which is for the weekend, or a bigger pyrimid shaped thing that last longer. You just drop it in the tank and its supposed to feed your fish. Anyone have exp. with this? I wonder why no one has ever mentioned it here. Is it not recomended for goldies?

Gia, we dont' recommend them because they don't work well and can mess with the cycle and crash it quickly. Automatic feeders have had problems as well, dumping all the food at once and once again causing the cycle to crash.

The best thing is to have someone do it, but since you don't have anyone. You can get them use to eating live plants and then leave a couple during the trip. You have to be careful, while doint it as a trial run, you will want to see if they eat it all up and then have nothing left. Some fish will do this and then have nothing to nibble on during the duration of your vacation.

But it is better than the feeders.

i've been in that situation too many times. i sometime travel to other offices and i'm away for a 3-7 days. what i do is, before i leave i do a water change. i dont feed them till i get back. they will not die if they are not feed for a week. and no food means no poop, and no poop means no sky high nitrates.

I had tried the weekend feeders, and had bad results. It was before I knew what they could do to your water.

As for using plants as food, what do they like? I already have a plant in with them all, and they don't touch it. I think it is called hornwart, or something like that. All I know is it grows really fast, and every so often it has a little white flower about the size of a dime.

Guest JustJayde

You can check into professional pet sitters /pet feeders if you can afford it... there are quite a lot that work from pet shops as well as privately.

I personally canceled a 10 day trip I was supposed to take because I had no options left to me with fishie.

Good luck

Thanks Jayde, but I can't cancel this trip. My husbands close friend is getting married, and we are also going to see my parents. I haven't seen them in a while, so don't want to miss out on that. The cheapest pet sitter I could find was 15 a day. That's still too much. Somebody had mentioned plants, but I'm not sure what kind to use.

i don't recommend the weekend feeders...from personal experience! messed up my water and left my poor blackie so bloated his scales almost started protruding ( i freaked out when i first saw him, thought it was dropsy)

i think the plant idea is best. i'm going on a 2 week vacation and no one can feed my fishies for the first week. i'm getting some plants for the fishies to nibble on in the meantime.

perhaps it's the taste of the plant your fishes don't like? thus leaving it untouched....

i buy amazon swordplants and my 2 fishies just love them. test out some plants. if worse comes to worse.....you can leave some leaves of lettuce. my fishies gobble up romaine lettuce....spoiled piglets. iceberg lettuce just won't do :blink:

Hi RM,

I'm not sure what your hornwort is, the hornwort I know doesn't flower at all. could it be cabomba?cabomba

or anarchis"elodea"Elodea?

These two plants, especially the latter is gobbled by most goldies! and tends to be a little less expensive than some swords.... I used to sell heaps of elodea to goldie owners when I worked at an aquarium.. You could also give them some duckweed (proper) the day you leave.

Yeah, if you're only going away for a week, not feeding them is fine, they'll be a little on the hungry side, but they'll not be starving to death.. :) Like fondoo mentioned no poop no nitrates, it's also been shown that fish that have been abstained from food excrete less ammonia. Have you got a heater on your tanks? can you turn the temp down? this will slow down their metabolism making them less hungry.

Have fun on your trip, and don't worry about your fish too much. If they're all healthy, they'll be fine!

It's good know they won't die if left with little or no food for a week. I checked out the plants you listed and I'm pretty sure it's the Elodea. I have a ton of it in my ponds, and in all my tanks. I've never had a goldfish even taste it. Maybe they know I am going to feed them something better, or they are just really picky. I guess I will have to try the duck weed, or something else. How far down should I turn their heater? Most are in the pond, and the water is pretty chilly right now, but I do have a couple tanks set up with heaters. One has a recovering fish in it. She has no more signs of being sick, so would it be ok to lower her temp in a week?

Archived