I Think My Tank Is Leaking

Newfishmom

HELP! I think my Eclipse may be leaking - it's a 5 gallon corner tank - the water level has dropped about 3/4 of an inch in less than two days...there is not a lot of wetness around, but I can't explain the loss of water..it seems a bit much? Any ideas?

HI~ :)

I would say if your not seeing any puddles around the tank etc. Then it's probably just water evaporating. Do you currently have fish in the tank?

Hmmmm I can't seem to think of anything elese that would be causing water to leak out like that? :hmm

One little one inch goldie...I leave the light on from 9 to 9 - maybe that is too long, no? Since it is a smaller tank the heat from the light might cause the evaporation? I had my husband lift the tank just now, and I checked under it, and there was no major wetness, it was damp, but we just gravel vaccuumed three days ago and my husband is so sloppy when he cleans...is there such a thing as a slow leak?

Most likely it is evaporation like froggydella said. I notice with my 5 gal and 10 gal they evaporate pretty quickly.

Well I suppose there could be such a thing, But if your hubby just lifted it and found nothing I woulden't worry about it too much, It's holding water and not leaking ne where correct?

Hmmm maybe with it being a smaller tank it could be very possible that it's the heat from the light. Mine tends to evoparte quickly also, I have my Fishy in a tank alone now, only 10Gal. it tends to go fast, I add water about twice a week or so.

I have my lights on from about 11 AM to 9 PM or so...sometimes longer, or vise versea...

Thats all I can think of, Hoping it helps a bit.... :)

Ok..I feel better..I just added water to the top of the tank and I saw that it started leaking out from the top - It seems to me that I need to leave about 1/2 inch room in this particular tank or the water leaks from the top...does that make sense? I think it is ok - thanks guys!

It is prolly evaporation - much faster in smaller tanks. How dry is your room?

I have a a couple Eclipse tanks and I can tell you that if water gets between the rim of the tank and the fitted lid, it sure looks like a leak! but, it is not. Try drying between those parts (only filling to the beginning of the black rim in the tank - I find that's a safe level) and then see if you still get a "leak".

Also, the floor might not be even! Check the meniscus to see if the water level is level ( :lol: ) - it might look barely full at the fornt and be leaking out the back...

But, if you don't have any wetness, it's prolly evaporation. Do you use salt? That would help answer the question!

Archived