Parasite?

fantailfan1

I scoped again yesterday and didn't find anything. This time I scraped D's slime coat for one of the slides. :o Nothing moving.

Today when I got home from work my husband said, "Did you know that D is still tail standing and flashing? Why is he doing that?" Yeah, as long as the fish have symptoms that even my husband is noticing, I will be very suspicious!

They do continue to eat fine and they look good--just that darn gasping!! ARGH.

I tested the water to make sure the params were good: Ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 20. The water is still cloudy though. Hmmmm . .. . .

I will scope again tomorrow. I hope the gasping is not from gill damage from all the treatments.

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's kinda what I was dreading, oops, I mean thinking.

What do you suggest I do about salt? Keep in mind mine do not handle salt dips well . . .. :krazy:

And do you think I should start now or wait and see if I find any chilo?

(Hey ya know what this means?! I get to sterilize and cycle another tank. Woo hoo . . . :blink: )

If they are acting as though they have chilo still, and your water params have been good, then I would efinitley stat with a new round of PP. Dont worry about the lengthy salt dips. Just give them what they can handle.

:D

The last time I did a salt dip with D, he floated to the top the second I put him in. I poked him, he wiggled and continued to float.

Should I try dips anyway, instead of high salt? Last time I went to 0.5% during treatment and they both handled it fine.

Well, here we go again . . .

Treatment #468 (at least that's kinda what it feels like :lol: ) has just begun.

This time we are doing PP at 4 ppm for a maximum of 4 hours, preferrably every day for 4-5 days. We may end up going every other day or just 3 baths--we will see how they handle the PP at 4 ppm. We are not using any salt this time!! :o Kinda crazy for us . . .

I just put them in the 4 ppm PP about 10 minutes ago. We'll see how they do and I'll keep ya posted!

Wish us luck--again!

PP bath #1 is complete. Round #2. 4 ppm.

Both fish did well. Towards the end Shoomey was bottom sitting quite a bit, not a lot of gill movement. Then she'd get up, swim around the tank, then plop back in her corner. D did some bottom sitting but was breathing normally.

About halfway into the treatment, I noticed both of them had little brown nostrils and mouths. Then they also got brown specs of debris on their scales. I believe those are signs of the PP killing nasties.

Now I am waiting to get toothy's opinion on whether I should go another round tomorrow night or skip a night and go on Wednesday.

Also both fish perked right up when I moved them into their other 10 gallon for the night. They are looking pretty good!! :D

We did PP bath #2 (4 ppm) last night. Again they went 4 hours.

This time about 3 hours into it I was very concerned as Shoomey wasn't looking too happy--bottom sitting, slow breathing and not moving when I threw some food in!! (I get a little anxious when my fish don't show interest in food ever since they stopped eating for a week during the time we did the high salt for 2 weeks.) D looked pretty good--not as spunky as the end of the first bath, but decent.

Anyway, with toothy's encouragement, I did leave them in the full 4 hours. When I moved them over to their new tank for the night, they both perked up within 10 minutes or so. D had quite a bit of red streaking in his tail that I could not see when he was in the PP tank. He must have been a bit more stressed in there than I thought.

This morning the red streaks were gone and both fish gobbled up the frozen brine shrimp I fed them.

My plan is to give them tonight off--unless I hear from toothy and he REALLY urges me to PP them again tonight. Otherwise I will plan on PP #3 tomorrow night. If that goes well I will do another PP bath the next night. After that, I may skip a couple of nights and do one final bath. We'll have to see how it goes until then.

Yesterday I only saw D at the surface gasping for air 2 or 3 times, compared to about 80%+ of the time before the PP bath. I'm crossing my fingers that this is working . . . . .

PP bath #3 is complete. 4 hours long.

They both looked better than they did the last time. Again, D has some streaks in his tail. I suspect they will resolve overnight.

I will stick with my plan of PP bath #4 tomorrow evening.

PP bath #4 is now in the history books. We did another 4 ppm bath for 4 LONG hours.

It seemed like 4 days this time. After about an hour they both weren't looking so good--bottom sitting, fins clamped, little looks of desperation on their faces . . . But I was told before to leave them in unless they are in DISTRESS--gasping at the surface, crazy irratic swimming, or heavy labored breathing and they were not doing any of that so I left them in.

I watched them carefully and removed them after 4 hours. It took them a good 2-3 hours to perk up. Once they did, I went to sleep.

This morning they gobbled their frozen bloodworms down like they hadn't eaten for weeks!!

Now we get to wait and see . . . . Hope we got 'em this time. :kickbutt

Good for you! Strong woman you are!! I would have been very very tempted to take them out.

I certainly hope this did it. I've got my fingers crossed for ya.

• 1 month later...

Hi! Sorry for bumping this topic back, but I was just really curious if you finally kicked the chilo? How are Big D and Shoomey doing? I hope everything is going great! If I missed something, I'm sorry.

Brittany :)

Archived