What Is Wrong With My Fish?!

Guest shootingstar933

Guest shootingstar933

i noticed this problem about a week ago, but she didnt look like this.

first off, i have her in my 55 gallon tank with 3 other 3 inch goldies and one tiny pearlescent. it has been running for about 6 months, i do a 50% water change once a week. i add tap water conditioner to the tank when refilling water. no meds in tank now. i dont know what the reading are on the tank water, i dont have a test kit. and i feed them pellets.

OK, this fish is my little mysterious fish, she seems to always find ways to get herself in a pickle, so we have named her "mystery", gotta love her tho.

like i sadi, i spotted her belly looking like it was bulging on the one side only, but it didnt look like a problem. even now she is still acting fine, no bottom sitting, eats fine, swims like she is probably in pain, but still gets around.

my sister in law was thinking maybe she was egg bound or something of that nature. thinking baout it, i havent seen her poop much, but i dont wait to see if they do everyday lol

she was also thinking dropsy? but her scales are not poking out, she is just bulging on one side.

looking closer, the side she is bulging on looks rubbed a bit raw, and looks like tiny white almost fuzzy stuff falls off that side, but i mean REALLY tiny bits. maybe something internal?

WHAT DO I DO??!!!!

Guest shootingstar933

i was reading down the posts, and it sounds like my fish has the same thing philly-billy-rocks (fantail with dropsy) fish had that my fish might have.

where do i start?!

Hi there! Sorry about your fish. If it is what PhillyBillyRocks fish has then you need to isolate that fish as soon as possible. You also should consider all the other fish in the tank as potential carriers of a sporozaon parasite.

Unfortunately, there is no real treatment or cure for this. Some fish can survive for a time with it by treating it like dropsy (heat, maracyn, medi-gold).

I have lost 5 fish in the last 4 months and now have one in the hospital tank with a lump. I hope yours has something else, but if you think it's this don't put any new fish into that tank unless you want to risk them getting it too.

Guest shootingstar933

i put her in a hospital tank last night and have started the maracyn 2. she is in a 5 gallon tank, do i need to change the water daily?

You need to do as many water changes as necessary to keep the water pristine. That will depend on a couple of things. Do you have a filter? Is it cycled? How much do you feed the fish?

5 gallons is pretty small for a 3 inch fish, it will get dirty fairly quickly even with a cycled filter. The maracyn might crash the cycle anyway. Do you have water tests to check the amounts of ammonia, nitrites and nitrate? That is important information to know for any tank.

Guest shootingstar933

no, unfortunately i dont have a test kit to check the water. but changing the water daily isn't a problem for me.

looking at her today, the spot that seemed to have white stuff coming out of her side last night, has stopped "oozing" but now has a tiny hole. her swollen face seems to be better, and she is not bulging so much on the one side, but seems to be slower today. maybe its just her being in a different tank?

no i dont have a filter in the hopsital tank, just a bubbler.

she still doesnt seem to be pooping much, but is a little.

i dont have any medi-gold, i give her 5 pellots a day, but she is only about 2 inches.

Before recommending any treatment I ask that all the params of the tank be checked. No matter what is wrong with a fish, if you don't know the quality of the water you could be wasting your time.

I suggest that you get the tests you will need or at the very least have the lfs run the tests for you. They can do this for free with a sample you take to them, however you need to have them give you exact numbers and then post back. But I do recommend buying the equip you need, for treating a sick fish you will need to test every day.

And as Becky has stated, it MAY be what philly was dealing with. But more information is needed before we can make that assumption.

Guest shootingstar933

ok, i fed her today, and about an hour after she ate 3 pellets, i looked at her, and she is bulging again on the same side, and looks like the food she ate is coming out of the hole in her side. i am starting to wonder if i should put her down.

any advice?

Guest shootingstar933

*dont have a test kit to check the water

*she was in a 55 gallon that has been running for about 5-6 months

*she is now in a 5 gallon hospital tank

*in the big tank i do a 50% water change once a week

*in the hospital tank i am changing 90% of the water daily

*in the big tank i had her in with a 1" pearlescent, (1) 3" black moor, (1) 3" oranda, and (1) 3 1/2" ryukin

* i only use tap water conditioner

* i just got the pearlescent last week, but had noticed she was looking different before i put this new fish in there.

*she is in the hospital tank with maracyn 2, but had no meds in the big tank

*i feed them all pellets

she seems to be bulging on the one side worse than before now. it looks like digested food coming out the hole in her side, almost a constant flow of whatever it is. she is less active, seems to be in alot of pain, she is still swimming around a little, no bottom sitting or floating, just looks like she is in pain.

I am sorry to hear about the latest development. It does not sound good at all. You are the only one who can make a decision about putting a fish down, if they are in pain or have no real quality of life left. There is a thread on euthanizing, the most humane way is to put the fish to sleep with clove oil or finquel.

You really should plan on investing in some water testing kits for your 55 gallon. Water quality is the number one cause of illness, and an elevation of ammonia, nitrites, or nitrates can cause rapid decline in a fish. That is why it is almost impossible to help someone with a sick fish without knowing what the various levels are.

If your fish actually has a hole from its' intestine to the outside, then I would say it is not going to make it. I am sorry. Keep an eye on your other tank and do not add any more fish. If they do not develop any lumps over a period of several months then you are probably ok.

Guest shootingstar933

she always looks a little better after i use more maracyn. but shows no signs of actual healing.how often can i add a tablet to the water?

I can't stress enough how important that it is that you test the water. Seriously the water is major factor.

That said one more time, do you think it is the food coming out. Or could it be that it is a cyst or abcess that is erupting?

Guest shootingstar933

i was thinking it was the food coming out, but i really dont know. when we first noticed anything coming out of her, it was white in color. but when i put her in the hospital tank, after i fed her, within about an hour i checked her, and it looked like digested food coming out. it was the same color as the food, and coming out in steady amounts. after she ate, she was really bulging. i changed 90% of her water, added the second dose of maracyn 2 last night before bed, and this morning she did look a bit better. i added another tablet this morning, about 2 hours ago. she does seem more like herself as of now, very alert, swimming normal, and just overall happy to see me when i come up to her tank.

as for a water testing kit, any store kit ok? i had been using my sister in laws kit before, but i believe she is out and i think she ordered hers off the net. can i go buy a good test kit at any store? if so i will do that today and post results.

Thanks

Drop tests are the better of the tests. Often strip tests can give inacurate info. Aquarium pharmacutials makes a master kit that contains most of the params you need. If I remember right you have to buy the nitrate test seperatly.

I am glad to hear that the fish is some better. I am wondering though if the bump isn't an abcess. The white fluid could be pus and then pus with blood in it can resemble food. I would think if the fish had a whole in the intestines it would be dead shortly. For it would become septic and not get better. Are you able to feed a medicated food?

You can buy the food at Goldfish connection.com. Rick has 2 very nice medicated foods, Metromed and Medigold.

The tests you can get at your local pet store.

Guest shootingstar933

ok, i have finished the maracyn treatment, she looks alot better, but i want to be sure she is complately fine before i put her back in the big tank.

her belly is still alittle bigger on that side, but looks no where near as big as before. her scales are returning but i noticed she still has one spot on her, but its looks different. it looks like a healing cut with a scab on it. is that something to treat, or do you think thats all it is, a healing spot from her "hole" she had? it is pretty much in the same spot. what do you think about using a .3% salt treatment for another week or so? just to be sure.

That is good news to hear she is doing better. I would go another 7 days to ensure she is healing nicely. And yes it could be where the sore is now healing.

ARe you giving her the medicated food? If so make sure to continue them 2 weeks.

Guest shootingstar933

no, i had not got the medicated food yet. although i did buy some new food, it is: crystal blue high performance food, do you know if that is better yet than the regular "wardley" goldfish floating pellets? i know its not medicated food tho.

Thanks so much for all your help :)

I have not heard of that food. I am not a big fan of wardley though. But if that is all you have. I would make sure to soak it though so that it sinks. Feeding them from the top is bad.

I would also recommend getting the medicated food, not only would it help now but is great if you need it in the future.

Archived